Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio 2016 Marathon Qualification, whos trying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

shels4ever wrote: »
    I don't think people are saying it was a good run, but when things go wrong in a marathon it can be different to an 800m or 400m. I doubt she was happy with it also, but she held it together ok and managed to get in under the time, meaning she can focus on training now and not worry about having to run another so soon. This is still only her second Marathon so still learning about the event.

There were a good few saying it was a good time on this very thread. Some in fact called it "great". Not to mention the amount of comments by people under the AAI facebook posts about how great it was.

Too much respect is given to a marathon time. It's almost as if we aren't allowed to say anything negative about it because "it's the marathon". She was always going to run under 2:42. She could have done that off one month's training, so there's no point buttering it up as an accomplishment to hit the time, when we are talking about an athlete of the considerable ability of Fionnuala Britton. The fact she is 222nd in the world this year, while Mary Cullen is 70-something (exact position I can't remember off hand) in the 5000m says a lot.

For the record our top male is 457th in the world this year. Imagine if you were that lowly ranked in the 5000m. Nobody would even know who you were.

Britton's time was not a disaster. It just wan't very good by her standards. But she ran well in Zurich off limited preparations, so maybe she will prove that she is a championship performer over this distance. As you say, it is good that she doesn't need to run another one and can now focus on getting it right come August. (if Sinead Diver had declared for Ireland, Britton may well be ranked third now, and possibly in need of running another, because I believe Diver's run in Beijing to be of 2:30 quality, and I think she should run that next spring.)

I've tons of time for her as an athlete. I just think we are doing her an injustice by saying that 2:33 is "great" or "good".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

just looking back at the last few Olympics, 15th place in the marathon has gone to 2:26, 2:31, 2:35, 2:30, 2:34
    Was London the new standard or an outlier? Hard to know
    In the world championships, 15th has been 2:32, 2:38, 2:31, 2:30, 2:35

RayCun wrote: »
    just looking back at the last few Olympics, 15th place in the marathon has gone to 2:26, 2:31, 2:35, 2:30, 2:34
    Was London the new standard or an outlier? Hard to know
    In the world championships, 15th has been 2:32, 2:38, 2:31, 2:30, 2:35

Interesting stats. With it being a championship race it would be interesting to see splits at half way. I can’t remember much about these past Olympic marathons but there could well have been the possibility of a slow first half, with 20 people bunched together, before a surge happened, in which case, even if 2:33 came 15th, you’d want to be a far quicker runner than that to be able to significantly up the pace in the second half.

While Chicago wasn’t a good performance, she may have her preparations spot on by avoiding marathons which are essentially time trials. If there is a slow pace of 76 minutes for the first half in Rio, and she is in the group, can she comes back in 75 or so? If she can do that then she could place well regardless of time.

Also worth noting that Atlanta, Sydney and Athens are sort of pointless to look at these days, as it has only been since Beijing that the East Africans have really focused on the Olympics in this distance to the full extent. Baldini won gold in the men’s in 2004, and Valerei de Lima from Brazil got bronze. Both great runners, but I don’t think they’d manage that if around now. The standard is most definitely stronger now, in the Olympics. World Championships still seems to be a bit of a mixed bag as most are thinking about big city marathons to secure qualification for the following year’s Olympics.

as well as the championship element, racing for position not time, all of the really fast marathon times are run in spring or autumn on courses designed to be fast. Olympic and world marathons are in the summer on harder courses

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Chivito550 wrote: »
    She was always going to run under 2:42. She could have done that off one month's training, so there's no point buttering it up as an accomplishment to hit the time, when we are talking about an athlete of the considerable ability of Fionnuala Britton.

True but the fact she ran a low 2.30 instead of a low 2.40 probably means she won't have to go again in the Spring as I doubt 3 other ladies will go sub 2.33. In that sense it was a good run. Not good relative to her ability obviously but good in terms of the long term plan for Rio.

For the record our top male is 457th in the world this year. Imagine if you were that lowly ranked in the 5000m. Nobody would even know who you were.

It's sad to say but I dare say Joe public or the majority of posters here know who Kevin Seaward is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Also worth noting that Atlanta, Sydney and Athens are sort of pointless to look at these days, as it has only been since Beijing that the East Africans have really focused on the Olympics in this distance to the full extent. Baldini won gold in the men’s in 2004, and Valerei de Lima from Brazil got bronze. Both great runners, but I don’t think they’d manage that if around now.

I agree with most of your post but not with that bit. Paul Tergat was the world record holder in the marathons by the time the 2004 Olympics came along and he very much targeted that race because Olympic gold was the only thing missing from his career.

Baldini, Meb and de Lima all took on the best in the world at the time and genuinely managed to beat him. There is no need to talk down their performance. The Olympic marathon tends to throw up strange results and that still hasn't changed, including the 2012 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Anyone know who is giving the standard a 2nd go in the Spring?

I know Mick C is running Seville this weekend.

Sean O'H has been talking about Paris\London...

Maria?

Any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Duanington wrote: »
    Anyone know who is giving the standard a 2nd go in the Spring?

I know Mick C is running Seville this weekend.

Sean O'H has been talking about Paris\London...

Maria?

Any others?

Maria is in Seville also, Seward and Pollock down for London and a few others have mentioned going over to Rotterdam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Itziger

Could someone remind me of the state of play in the marathon, men and women?

2.15 should be good enough, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

2:15:10 for Mick
    http://cronochip.racetecresults.com/MyResults.aspx?CId=131&RId=603&EId=1&AId=835606[/quoted aster than Sergio by seconds I think

Sergio has 2.15.17 from Berlin...tight margins !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Seaward 2.14.52
    Clohissy 2.15.10
    Sergiu 2.15.17
    Pollock 2.15.38

Four fastest times so far.

It's tight alright. I see from the results there was a nice bunch around 2.11 (5 athletes), such a shame our lads can't make that step up. So, Rotterdam and London I suppose are the obvious Spring ones left then.

tang1 wrote: »
    Seaward 2.14.52
    Clohissy 2.15.10
    Sergiu 2.15.17
    Pollock 2.15.38

Four fastest times so far.
    Seaward prob doesn't need to run London now but strange boat to be in. Sergio must be in Rotterdam ?

What about McCambridge?

RayCun wrote: »
    What about McCambridge?
    She didn't run

Assuming Pollock runs 2:14, that's a tough decision now between Sergiu and Clohissey. 7 seconds is nothing, and my personal opinion is that an early qualifier should be favoured in such instances. Either way, somebody is going to be feeling very aggrieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Assuming Pollock runs 2:14, that's a tough decision now between Sergiu and Clohissey. 7 seconds is nothing, and my personal opinion is that an early qualifier should be favoured in such instances. Either way, somebody is going to be feeling very aggrieved.

Yes but Seville today is still far enough removed from the Olympic marathon as to be deemed an early qualifyer (if you see what I'm trying to say) it's still 7 weeks to Rotterdam and 8 to 10 from the other big races. I don't really see how the priority to earlier qualifying times is fair. Surely a deadline is a deadline? I can see the logic behind it but it's kind of fudgy.

Is Seaward looking to run a time in London or as the rumour mill is saying he's pacing Pollock to a faster time than he already has?

tang1 wrote: »
    Is Seaward looking to run a time in London or as the rumour mill is saying he's pacing Pollock to a faster time than he already has?

That's the rumour. I think if I was him I'd be a little more selfish! He is in a strong position but not gaurenteed.

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Yes but Seville today is still far enough removed from the Olympic marathon as to be deemed an early qualifyer (if you see what I'm trying to say) it's still 7 weeks to Rotterdam and 8 to 10 from the other big races. I don't really see how the priority to earlier qualifying times is fair. Surely a deadline is a deadline? I can see the logic behind it but it's kind of fudgy.

Yeh it's tough. I think there should be 2 guaranteed spots as at 31 December (pending proof of fitness closer to the time) with the last spot being decided in April after the spring marathons. But without such a clear policy it's basically a free for all. Lots of fun and games to come over this.

That's the rumour. I think if I was him I'd be a little more selfish! He is in a strong position but not gaurenteed.

Thinking same myself, he could pace Pollock to a faster time than his own then be left looking over his shoulder for others, although I think his 2.14.52 will be hard beaten by others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Apparently Pollock won a very windy Wokingham half in 63.45 this morning, he has to be looking at 2.13 or quicker after that as im sure he didnt taper much if at all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Not sure why people are complicating it. Top 3 times qualify is th fairest and easiest for all

Dodge wrote: »
    Not sure why people are complicating it. Top 3 times qualify is th fairest and easiest for all

Don't think anyone is complicating it, as it stands 46 secs cover the 4 best qualifiers, whoever is fourth and misses out is in tough tough luck and will miss out by mere seconds. Those are the rules and that's the price you pay for the improvement of marathon times since London.

Yeah but being the marathon, it is very different to almost any other event in Rio in terms of preparing for a last minute qualification. Even the 10k, if someone posted a faster time than yours a week before the deadline, you could still try to improve yourself in the time remaining. That can't really work for 42.2k race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

In fairness to Clohissey, he has won almost every national race going that he has entered (which is most of them) for the last couple of years and is a phenomenally consistent performer. Plus, there is a significant gap between now and the Olympics.

Per Lindie Naughton - Seaward's plan to pace Pollock in London is now scrapped.

Apparently Pollock won a very windy Wokingham half in 63.45 this morning, he has to be looking at 2.13 or quicker after that as im sure he didnt taper much if at all for it.[/quotes]
    He should run 2:13 once he doesn't try to run 2:10

• Advertisement

Not so easy over the marathon. Conditions and course profile come into play. Athletes get 2 attempts max at qualifying. Should one get punished because he ran 2:16 in 26 degrees? Extreme example, but this isn't like track events where you get multiple attempts in a season.

The team that has the best chance of performing well in Rio should be picked. With this in mind I would favour somebody who qualified last year over somebody running a marathon in the Spring.

It's a stupid system we have. Seaward and Ciobanu should have been guaranteed spots after the Autumn, and they could start planning their training to peak in August.

Not so easy over the marathon. Conditions and course profile come into play. Athletes get 2 attempts max at qualifying. Should one get punished because he ran 2:16 in 26 degrees? Extreme example, but this isn't like track events where you get multiple attempts in a season.

The team that has the best chance of performing well in Rio should be picked. With this in mind I would favour somebody who qualified last year over somebody running a marathon in the Spring.

It's a stupid system we have. Seaward and Ciobanu should have been guaranteed spots after the Autumn, and they could start planning their training to peak in August.
    I agree that one person should have been picked by now but not 2. Still have a feeling that the top 3 now might be the team to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think from the start, the selection board should of given clear information on what the selection was, so all runners would know what they need to do.

By just saying run the qualifying time and the board will go from there, is very unfair to the runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Is it possible for 3 to qualify? Just seems like it will be very unfair on someone. It's getting a bit close to the Olympics now to be trying to beat the top two and 7 seconds is nothing in a marathon.

Is it possible for 3 to qualify? Just seems like it will be very unfair on someone. It's getting a bit close to the Olympics now to be trying to beat the top two and 7 seconds is nothing in a marathon.

Yes 3 qualify but 45 seconds currently cover 4 athletes with a gang within arms reach too. No selection system is perfect and someone is going to be very disappointed but it's rivitting for us anoraks.

Yes 3 qualify but 45 seconds currently cover 4 athletes with a gang within arms reach too. No selection system is perfect and someone is going to be very disappointed but it's rivitting for us anoraks.

I like the idea of the trails.

Could use Dublin as the race, don't invite the foreign runners that year like they did before. First three home goes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Could use Dublin as the race, don't invite the foreign runners that year like they did before. First three home goes!!!

We never usually have so many hitting and knocking on the door of the time though. This olympic cycle is pretty unique!

NOW, this would work, because the Olympic standard has been weakened significantly to 2:19:00. But at the time of the DCM the standard was 2:17:00. Almost never is the DCM won in 2:16 or faster. It’s a slow marathon, with often crap weather. There was no logic to using it as a trial at the time, because you can’t guarantee a spot to somebody who wins in 2:17:xx, as it is too slow to qualify, and that athlete would have to target a Spring marathon to get the time, defeating the purpose of the trial. There was no way AAI could foresee at the time that they would weaken the standard by 2 minutes. If the standard for Tokyo remains at the ridiculously soft 2:19, then I agree a trial at DCM is the way to go with the top 2 guaranteed qualification.

NOW, this would work, because the Olympic standard has been weakened significantly to 2:19:00. But at the time of the DCM the standard was 2:17:00. Almost never is the DCM won in 2:16 or faster. It’s a slow marathon, with often crap weather. There was no logic to using it as a trial at the time, because you can’t guarantee a spot to somebody who wins in 2:17:xx, as it is too slow to qualify, and that athlete would have to target a Spring marathon to get the time, defeating the purpose of the trial. There was no way AAI could foresee at the time that they would weaken the standard by 2 minutes. If the standard for Tokyo remains at the ridiculously soft 2:19, then I agree a trial at DCM is the way to go with the top 2 guaranteed qualification.

But a trial means everyone has to be 100% right on one particular day to qualify. If, for talk sake, you have a 2.09 runner who wakes up with flu his chance is gone for that Olympics. I do agree tho that the national championship should have some weight in qualifying but Dublin is a tough course now and it would be hard to work in time stipulations eg first home selected if under x time.. However if the first Irish man in Dublin was guaranteed deletion would it make Dublin a lot more competitive or would lads still try for a quick time on one of the faster courses anyway? I ran Berlin last year in 3.31.30 and was 15th Irish man home I think 9 went sub 2.20. Now Dublin is a slower course but if all those lads were in the one race in Dublin it would do a lot of good for the race, athletics in general and the runners profiles as well.

But a trial means everyone has to be 100% right on one particular day to qualify. If, for talk sake, you have a 2.09 runner who wakes up with flu his chance is gone for that Olympics. I do agree tho that the national championship should have some weight in qualifying but Dublin is a tough course now and it would be hard to work in time stipulations eg first home selected if under x time.. However if the first Irish man in Dublin was guaranteed deletion would it make Dublin a lot more competitive or would lads still try for a quick time on one of the faster courses anyway? I ran Berlin last year in 3.31.30 and was 15th Irish man home I think 9 went sub 2.20. Now Dublin is a slower course but if all those lads were in the one race in Dublin it would do a lot of good for the race, athletics in general and the runners profiles as well.

The whole idea of waking up with the flu on trail day, that's just bad luck, sure could happen to a gold medal fav in the olympic final.

What time do you have to run in the states to get into the trials? I know its a bigger pool of talent.

Do they not allow people in with half times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What time do you have to run in the states to get into the trials? I know its a bigger pool of talent.

2:19 in the marathon, 1:05 half: http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calendar/2016/U-S--Olympic-Team-Trials---Marathon/Qualifying-Standards.aspx

That gave them 211 male qualifiers, of which 166 started in the trials

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

The whole idea of waking up with the flu on trail day, that's just bad luck, sure could happen to a gold medal fav in the olympic final.

It's bad luck for sure but a good selection policy means luck is less of a factor. A runner missing out on selection because of illness or bereavement ia a weakness in the trial system. It is exciting tho which is its main selling point. No system can be 100% fair in everyone's eyes and they all have pros and cons.

Personally I always thought the idea of a trial that people were banging out was quite poor. But now that the standard is 2:19 it has more merit for future Olympic Games, if the standard stays at 2:19. In such an instance I wouldn't offer all 3 places in a trial. Maybe the winner, or top 2 (and assuming they were under the 2:19 mark, if not they'd have to run another marathon obviously).

Bit of a typo on your marathon time there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

... if the standard stays at 2:19. In such an instance I wouldn't offer all 3 places in a trial. Maybe the winner, or top 2

Just out of interest, why would you not offer all 3 places if it was a trial?

wrstan wrote: »
    Just out of interest, why would you not offer all 3 places if it was a trial?

Just to take the bad luck element out of the equation, like has been previously mentioned about getting sick at the wrong time, or a family bereavement or whatever. By still having one spot available it gives athletes a second chance, but stacks the odds firmly in favour of those who are running well the Autumn before the Olympics. I think that would be a fair balance IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just to take the bad luck element out of the equation, like has been previously mentioned about getting sick at the wrong time, or a family bereavement or whatever. By still having one spot available it gives athletes a second chance, but stacks the odds firmly in favour of those who are running well the Autumn before the Olympics. I think that would be a fair balance IMO.
    Two spots for first two finishers in the national champs (having achieved the standard) and a discretionary spot (again having achieved the standard) makes a lot of sense. The selection committee could choose to offer the 3rd spot to the 3rd place finisher in the national champs, or if they had a breakout performance within a finite window of opportunity (like a 2:13 for men, or another 2:32-2:33 for women), they'd have the freedom to allocate the place elsewhere accordingly. The current reality is that none of those who are likely to represent Ireland at the Olympics, will have run the national marathon champs in recent years (I stand to be corrected), and will all have qualified on foreign soil. Seems like a wasted opportunity given that part of the value of sending athletes to the Olympics, is to inspire future generations to compete at a high level, which is better facilitated in a home race than having individual athletes finishing in the top 40 of a marathon major. But as mentioned on another thread, hindsight is a great thing, and we didn't know that the standard was going to be softened. Hopefully it's an improvement that can be made for future qualification cycles. There will still be disappointment for those who don't get selected, but at least they might be free'ed up to compete in other events, like the World Half Marathon Championships, or the World athletics champs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

.. The current reality is that none of those who are likely to represent Ireland at the Olympics, will have run the national marathon champs in recent years... hindsight is a great thing, and we didn't know that the standard was going to be softened...

It would be fantastic to see the National Marathon Champion sent to Rio.

Now I am a member of Rathfarnham WSAF and would of course be bigging up Sean's chances but quite apart from all that parochialism it would raise the profile of the National Marathon Champs hugely if the winner was guaranteed selection (assuming he/she also gets the required time) and encourage young lads and ladies all around the country.

The reality is that none of the potential Irish Rio bound athletes will medal.

Sean Hehir has performed in championship running with his 20th in Zurich in 2014 and it is within the bounds of possibility that he can run well in Rio also (as could the other contenders of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Whatever about future championships, you can't change it now for Rio

worth look at for World Champs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Peterx wrote: »
    It would be fantastic to see the National Marathon Champion sent to Rio.
    There should be no possibility of the National Marathon Championships having any affect on the selection criteria for Rio.

There's merit in discussing whether it should affect selection for Tokyo. Although IMO, given our lack of consistent performance at marathon level, it's a discussion for two years' time at the earliest. The last time we had a full marathon team going to the Olympics was 1992, and I'm not even sure if there was a fourth athlete eligible. If, in 2018, we still have a strong marathon contingent, and it looks likely that we could have 3+ athletes capable of running inside the qualifying time in Dublin, then it should be considered

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Peterx

28064212 wrote: »
    There should be no possibility of the National Marathon Championships having any affect on the selection criteria for Rio.

There's merit in discussing whether it should affect selection for Tokyo... .

In specific terms within the current qualification race I agree with you.

In general terms I still think sending the National Marathon Champion to the following season's major marathon Championship has huge merit but that's a slightly off topic discussion.

Should the standard completely fall apart in future years it starts to make even more sense to send the National Champion - If nobody has the A standard and the National Marathon Champion has the B standard than send him.

Peterx wrote: »
    In specific terms within the current qualification race I agree with you.

In general terms I still think sending the National Marathon Champion to the following season's major marathon Championship has huge merit but that's a slightly off topic discussion.

Should the standard completely fall apart in future years it starts to make even more sense to send the National Champion - If nobody has the A standard and the National Marathon Champion has the B standard than send him.

There is no A and B standard. It is just one standard. If the National Champion has no standard, he doesn't go. It's that simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement