Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio 2016 Marathon Qualification, whos trying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

youngrun wrote: »
    https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/news-media/media-resources/elite-race-start-lists/elite-men-start-list/
    Pollock and Scullion on for London

I wonder who if any is running Paris or Rotterdam this weekend and next?

Pollock did well last sat, considering the conditions, so seems to be in good condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/news-media/media-resources/elite-race-start-lists/elite-men-start-list/
    Pollock and Scullion on for London

I wonder who if any is running Paris or Rotterdam this weekend and next?

I heard a while back that Hanrahan is running Rotterdam. Not sure about anyone else though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Ceepo

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/sonia-o-sullivan-do-marathon-runners-a-favour-and-select-for-rio-now-1.2592500

From the Irish Times today.

Interesting article.

While she is saying to pick Pollock she stops short in saying who else should be going.

I suppose it begs the question.Should Pollock be select based on his half last weekend he has also ran faster than that for the half but his Full pb time is still the slowest of the top 4 times.

Very hard job to select 3 the way things stand but if Pollock runs 2.14 or faster then he will definitely be on the plane imo.
    Hard call to pick the the next 2 places. With Claw only been 7 sec faster than Sergiu even though Sergiu beat him in Berlin in a straight race.
    Should there be any weight put on winning the National Champs imo there should be but maybe not this for selection as it was not part of the AI criteria.

Will feel sorry for who ever misses out.
    Tough call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Ceepo wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/sonia-o-sullivan-do-marathon-runners-a-favour-and-select-for-rio-now-1.2592500

From the Irish Times today.

Interesting article.

While she is saying to pick Pollock she stops short in saying who else should be going.

I suppose it begs the question.Should Pollock be select based on his half last weekend he has also ran faster than that for the half but his Full pb time is still the slowest of the top 4 times.

Very hard job to select 3 the way things stand but if Pollock runs 2.14 or faster then he will definitely be on the plane imo.
    Hard call to pick the the next 2 places. With Claw only been 7 sec faster than Sergiu even though Sergiu beat him in Berlin in a straight race.
    Should there be any weight put on winning the National Champs imo there should be but maybe not this for selection as it was not part of the AI criteria.

Will feel sorry for who ever misses out.
    Tough call.

Pollock still has to get the time should do it though.
    Wonder will Sergio go again ? Prague or a couple of German marathons left , hard to see him beating 2.15 though

Any word re the womens ? is Maria Mc going to try again I wonder, or Sarah Mulligan . Breege C still in third spot.

Wonder will Sergio go again ? Prague or a couple of German marathons left , hard to see him beating 2.15 though

Any word re the womens ? is Maria Mc going to try again I wonder, or Sarah Mulligan . Breege C still in third spot.

Pollock has the Q time 2.15.38 from Berlin. He has the 4th fastest time. http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/ireland/paul-pollock-205655.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Pollock has the time, 2:15:38 in Berlin. If he beats Ciobanu's Berlin time in London (which seems pretty likely), it should be a pretty straight-forward selection (barring injury or some unforeseen amazing result): Pollock, Seaward and Clohissey. It'll be harsh on Ciobanu, losing out on an Olympic place over a three-second gap in Berlin, but you couldn't make any other realistic choice.

Where it gets really interesting is if Pollock fails to beat Ciobanu's time in London due to circumstances beyond his control e.g. ridiculously hot conditions or temporary illness. His half-marathon performance and potential both suggest he should still be selected ahead of Ciobanu, but he was beaten by him in Berlin

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Pollock has the time, 2:15:38 in Berlin. If he beats Ciobanu's Berlin time in London (which seems pretty likely), it should be a pretty straight-forward selection (barring injury or some unforeseen amazing result): Pollock, Seaward and Clohissey. It'll be harsh on Ciobanu, losing out on an Olympic place over a three-second gap in Berlin, but you couldn't make any other realistic choice.

Where it gets really interesting is if Pollock fails to beat Ciobanu's time in London due to circumstances beyond his control e.g. ridiculously hot conditions or temporary illness. His half-marathon performance and potential both suggest he should still be selected ahead of Ciobanu, but he was beaten by him in Berlin

I would have to agree you you for the most part.
    However that would imply that it would be the 3 fastest times will go, and AI have not stated that in the selection criteria.
    What happened to priority 1,2 and 3 ?.
    Sergiu beat Claw in Berlin head to head in priority 1 period. Does that count for anything ?only asking the question. If not then why have priority periods?.
    Should Sean Hehir as National champ and under Q time have some weight to his selection argument, again just another question.

I think the selection criteria is very unclear as much as it is in black and white and that's the crux of the problem.

Also Pollock has a pb of 62.10 for the half yet his pb time for the full is slower that the 3 lads in front of him as it stands.
    I think he can if things go right for him will certainly go sub 2.14 in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

I think the selection criteria is very unclear as much as it is in black and white and that's the crux of the problem.

Also agree with the analysis. I would guess that the unclearness is deliberate to allow the AAI selectors plenty of wiggle room to make their selection. Not necessarily a bad thing, but that all depends on your viewpoint.

I would pick Sergiu ahead of the Claw because of the result in Berlin and it was in the priority 1 period. It has to be taken into consideration.

I would pick Sergiu ahead of the Claw because of the result in Berlin and it was in the priority 1 period. It has to be taken into consideration.

But Claw has a faster time from perceived harder course

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    Also agree with the analysis. I would guess that the unclearness is deliberate to allow the AAI selectors plenty of wiggle room to make their selection. Not necessarily a bad thing, but that all depends on your viewpoint.
    If you were in the mix for a spot I'm not sure it would help with preparations.
    Example; Sergiu coversation with himself. will prepare for the Olympic marathon now? Or will I run another to be try to be sure. Is there even a point in running another one and say running 30 seconds quicker because they may not select based on times. Sure don't I have the 2nd fastest time in priority 1 time frame and beat Claw in the process. Jesus will they ever just make the Fecking selection... Agghhhhh.

See my point !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

See my point !

Absolutely! But I can also see why AAI left it nice and loose for themselves. In fairness to them, it would have been easier for them to make it very black and white so that they won't have to take the flack that is almost inevetibly going to come their way. But I'm sure they have chosen the rules to have to give them the best chance to pick the best team they can. Unfortunately no matter who is chosen somebody is going to loose out who will have a very arguable case that they should have been chosen, given the times and standards of the performances.

But Claw has a faster time from perceived harder course

But Sergiu beat Claw in the Piority one window and it was the same race.

Absolutely! But I can also see why AAI left it nice and loose for themselves. In fairness to them, it would have been easier for them to make it very black and white so that they won't have to take the flack that is almost inevetibly going to come their way. But I'm sure they have chosen the rules to have to give them the best chance to pick the best team they can. Unfortunately no matter who is chosen somebody is going to loose out who will have a very arguable case that they should have been chosen, given the times and standards of the performances.

I don't envy their job.

But can someone who trains for the marathon in April to produce their best ever time, then turn it around and produce their best effort again in Rio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

As long as we don't end up with a London 2012 scenario with Catriona Jennings hobbling home in 3:22 when she knew she was injured going in, while Maria McC was sitting at home.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    As long as we don't end up with a London 2012 scenario with Catriona Jennings hobbling home in 3:22 when she knew she was injured going in, while Maria McC was sitting at home.

You can see it happening again and by pushing people to do a big marathon in April, it increases the risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

The question is whether Pollock will go for a fast time or a time merely to assure qualification. I really cannot see him not running the fastest time if he wants to, barring injury/sickness.

But Sergiu beat Claw in the Piority one window and it was the same race.

And around and around we go. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think she would argue with that description of the situation
    http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/other-sports/45851/Caitriona-sets-the-record-straight-.html

RayCun wrote: »

Well what I said was correct. She did hobble home in 3:22 and she did know she was injured going in. Perhaps she was poorly advised, but she still knew she was not 100%.

Mind you, I can't envisage any of us, if we were in that situation, giving up a once in a lifetime opportunity to compete in an Olympic Games, so I don't begrudge her for running at all. But there is no way she was entering that race thinking she was fit to run the best race possible. I don't believe that for a second.

The question is whether Pollock will go for a fast time or a time merely to assure qualification. I really cannot see him not running the fastest time if he wants to, barring injury/sickness.

Is this not one of the same thing?
    As I said already Pollock has a 62.10 to his name from Copenhagen half . Yet his best time for a full is 2.15.38. Now I believe he was not right going into Berlin. And I believe he can go quicker. But been able to run a good half doesn't always convert to running a good full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

He's 4th fastest at the moment. Clohissey has already improved on his Berlin time so I don't think Pollock can feel too comfortable about Seaward and Ciobanu not having another crack at improving their time too

Whoever isn't picked can feel aggrieved but I think some here are getting slightly too worked up. Its not like it'll be the difference between a medal or a top 10 or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well what I said was correct. She did hobble home in 3:22 and she did know she was injured going in. Perhaps she was poorly advised, but she still knew she was not 100%.

She said in that interview that she was in the shape of her life, and had been assured the injury she knew about would not be an issue.

Now, I don't know her, I don't know what medical advice she received, I don't know what she was thinking in the run up to the race. But she said herself,
    I would not have run if I had thought myself I was not fit to go and had not been given the all clear by the medical team. Most definitely not. I would never deprive anybody else the opportunity to compete in the Olympics

and I wouldn't accuse someone of knowingly running with an injury that would seriously hinder her performance, unless I was very, very sure of myself. It's a serious accusation of selfishness

She said in that interview that she was in the shape of her life, and had been assured the injury she knew about would not be an issue.

Now, I don't know her, I don't know what medical advice she received, I don't know what she was thinking in the run up to the race. But she said herself,

and I wouldn't accuse someone of knowingly running with an injury that would seriously hinder her performance, unless I was very, very sure of myself. It's a serious accusation of selfishness

All of this doesn't really matter now and its bringing the thread off topic

• Advertisement

I'm sure she was in the shape of her life in the leadup. I doubt she thought this the morning of race day though. Athletes aren't stupid. They know their bodies better than anyone else, and know instinctively if something is amiss. She probably believed she could get around the course ok though based on the advice she was given, probably convinced herself that she would run well, as to not do so is defeat before you've even reached the start line.

In any case, even if she knew going into the race that she would not be at 100%, it's not like they could bring in Maria McCambridge at that late stage anyway. It's unfortunate set of circumstances. I just hope we don't see it happen again as it must be very frustrating for the person who doesn't get selected to witness it.

ppmarathon.com/#!Maybe-tomorrow/ebfxx/56fd76b80cf2b279cdba7d38

I can add as a link but the above is Pollock's March Blog. Just add in the www. at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Exactly wrote: »
    ppmarathon.com/#!Maybe-tomorrow/ebfxx/56fd76b80cf2b279cdba7d38
    I can add as a link but the above is Pollock's March Blog. Just add in the www. at the start.

Here you go:
    http://www.ppmarathon.com/#!Maybe-tomorrow/ebfxx/56fd76b80cf2b279cdba7d38

If there is one single good thing about the AAI selection criteria/policy, it is that it affords them the opportunity to include Pollock in the squad. He probably need to run his marathon now anyway (just to complete out the training cycle so the process can begin anew), but I don't think even the other potential Rio candidates would argue with his selection (though for obvious reasons they may not want to).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Maria seen on the Milan flight this morning..a date with destiny on Sunday in Milan so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

In my opinion, Kevin Seaward should have been selected already. I also think that Paul Pollock should be selected, giving him the opportunity to withdraw from London. In third place, based on the criteria, should be Sergiu Ciobanu. However, I can see the criteria being thrown out the window.
    Barbara Sanchez is running in Paris on Sunday. It'll be interesting to see if either she or Maria can run themselves into the third spot. There is also Clare McCarthy going in London later in the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

PVincent wrote: »
    Maria seen on the Milan flight this morning..a date with destiny on Sunday in Milan so

Any details on this folks? I hear it didn't go too well ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Duanington wrote: »
    Any details on this folks? I hear it didn't go too well ?

2.56 Maria

Barbara Sanchez 2.46 Paris http://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/us/the-race/results/results-marathon

F Mac, Lizzie Lee and Breege C are the top 3 marathon ladies at present- unlikely to change at this stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

It will be very interesting to see if anyone targets a time in Rotterdam at the weekend

Plodman wrote: »
    It will be very interesting to see if anyone targets a time in Rotterdam at the weekend

Eoin Callaghan is running Rotterdam and seems to have had a good build up. Hopefully he can improve upon his Manchester time from last year. I'm not sure he can bridge the gap to the top 4 though.

Exactly wrote: »
    Eoin Callaghan is running Rotterdam and seems to have had a good build up. Hopefully he can improve upon his Manchester time from last year. I'm not sure he can bridge the gap to the top 4 though.

Also Mark Hanrahan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Also Mark Hanrahan

Is Gary Thornton running, would love to see him do well.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

F Mac, Lizzie Lee and Breege C are the top 3 marathon ladies at present- unlikely to change at this stage ?
    2:37:29 which is the 3rd place ladies time is defo within one or two.

Is Gary Thornton running, would love to see him do well.

TbL

Was down for rotterdam but looking at a later marathon i think, end Apr/early may, one more shot at it , GT has some longevity and persistence and is capable of hitting the 2.15 on the right day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Rotterdam up today with a few of the Irish lads out, no list anywhere but this is who I dug up on the tracker, might be more but my heads gone blank staring at the screen. Won't be able to track them myself as I've a race but could someone post up the splits?

Eoin O Callaghan(2:18:41 Manchester 2015)
    Mark Hanrahan(2:21:13 Berlin 2015)
    Philip Harty(2:21:53 Berlin 2013)
    Tom Fitzpatrick(2:22.18 Berlin 2015)

Hard to see any of them breaking in to the battle for selection but you never know and there's a good chance of some breakthrough performances imo. Mark Hanrahan seems to be coming in good form after running 65:09 in Waterford back in December and picking up the win in Ballycotton a few weeks ago in 49:01 while in a heavy block of training. Tomas Fitzpatrick has just come off a half marathon PB in Bath last month in 66:09 and Eoin O Callaghan won the Bohermeen half in 68 minutes a few weeks ago. Not really sure what the story is with Philip Harty, he's been quiet lately for a man who likes to race, the only thing I can find is that he won the Tramore 4 Miles two weeks ago but there was no times.

All in all, should be interesting to see what happens.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Rotterdam up today with a few of the Irish lads out, no list anywhere but this is who I dug up on the tracker, might be more but my heads gone blank staring at the screen. Won't be able to track them myself as I've a race but could someone post up the splits?

Hard to see any of them breaking in to the battle for selection but you never know and there's a good chance of some breakthrough performances imo. Mark Hanrahan seems to be coming in good form after running 65:09 in Waterford back in December and picking up the win in Ballycotton a few weeks ago in 49:01 while in a heavy block of training. Tomas Fitzpatrick has just come off a half marathon PB in Bath last month in 66:09 and Eoin O Callaghan won the Bohermeen half in 68 minutes a few weeks ago. Not really sure what the story is with Philip Harty, he's been quiet lately for a man who likes to race, the only thing I can find is that he won the Tramore 4 Miles two weeks ago but there was no times.

Philip is definitely not running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

El Caballo wrote: »

Mark Hanrahan 2:19:50
    Eoin O Callaghan 2:21:44
    Thomas Fitzpatrick 2:25:21
    Philip Harty DNS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Seen on the old book face Paul Pollock is not running London. Foot injury apparently.
    Anyone find more concrete info?

Seen on the old book face Paul Pollock is not running London. Foot injury apparently.

Wow, big news. That's him out of Rio if that's the case.

Bad news if true - he was flying if Cardiff was anything to go by

Duanington wrote: »
    Bad news if true - he was flying if Cardiff was anything to go by

Unless he's been told he is selected, and so is giving London a miss, in which case that would be a sensible decision. Could he have been selected based on his fantastic World half performance, despite being 4th ranked Irishman over the full?

Unless he's been told he is selected, and so is giving London a miss, in which case that would be a sensible decision. Could he have been selected based on his fantastic World half performance, despite being 4th ranked Irishman over the full?

Maybe so...there'll be a couple of rightly pi$$ed off lads there if that's the case but whatever way they go with the selection, people are going to be pi$$ed off

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Sad news if he is injured, I wouldn't be to happy had he been selected based on his half as the are different events. Like picking a 1500m runner to run the 5k. For some it will translate others it won't.
    Easiest thing for the selectors would have been for him to run 2:13 and not even raced the half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

This is the second time I've heard that but no detail on it. Heard about a week ago that he might be injured.

Advertisement