Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio 2016 Marathon Qualification, whos trying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tang1 wrote: »
    Then Mick Clohissy ahead of Sergio.

Not for me, Sergiu has run the standard several times in his career and actually has a better PB than Pollock, I'd have Keneally ahead though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

menoscemo wrote: »
    Not for me, Sergiu has run the standard several times in his career and actually has a better PB than Pollock, I'd have Keneally ahead though.

Keep forgetting about Kenneally, i'd have him over Sergio & Clohissy alright. We have few more runners capable of achieving the standard this time around than London.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

youngrun wrote: »
    Breege Connolly ran 2.37 London not sure if she is GB/NI or ROI ? Great run anyway. Any other elites go at weekend further afield?

2:37 while great on a personal level doesn't register with respect to World / Olympic success standards

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/wmaraok.htm

The Irish public are no longer satisfied with mediocre performances at the Olympics and such followed by excuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I agree about Keneally, but when was the last time he ran a marathon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

my friend wrote: »
    2:37 while great on a personal level doesn't register with respect to World / Olympic success standards

The Irish public are no longer satisfied with mediocre performances at the Olympics and such followed by excuses

The Irish public don't really give a shit about Irish athletes and their performances until the Games start, and then suddenly they are experts. You ask anyone on the street who Paul Robinson or Fionnuala Britton is and they won't have a clue. Yet when the games are on and if one of these athletes doesn't perform as well, everyone will be an expert shouting "why are we sending these "crap" athletes to the Games".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

pconn062 wrote: »
    The Irish public don't really give a shit about Irish athletes and their performances until the Games start, and then suddenly they are experts. You ask anyone on the street who Paul Robinson or Fionnuala Britton is and they won't have a clue. Yet when the games are on and if one of these athletes doesn't perform as well, everyone will be an expert shouting "why are we sending these "crap" athletes to the Games".

Agree with most of what you say, but Fionnuala Britton has a reasonably high profile to be fair. Many people would know who she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Agree with most of what you say, but Fionnuala Britton has a reasonably high profile to be fair. Many people would know who she is.

Certainly higher profile, but if I asked my mother (who knows nothing about athletics) who Fionnuala Britton is she wouldn't know, as would none of my non-athletics friends or colleagues. High profile within athletic circles but non with the general public IMO. Anyway, spitting hairs, the point still stands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I'd have Paul Pollock ahead of him!

I keep forgetting about Pollock but yeah I would say Pollock, Fagan and Sergio. Keep forgetting that he is running Berlin also.

rom wrote: »
    I keep forgetting about Pollock but yeah I would say Pollock, Fagan and Sergio. Keep forgetting that he is running Berlin also.

Fagan! Representation not embarrassment please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Its a World and Olympic qualifying time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Fagan! Representation not embarrassment please

Who would he embarrass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Sergiu is a smart runner. If the time isn't on he'll simply pull the plug and run again. Really hope to see Mark K back. Think his Amsterdam time of 2.13 might be a hard one to replicate but could see him go 2.15 or thereabouts hopefully. Hard to know as he has only really ran 5k/4 milers.

Pollock, Kenneally, Sergiu and hopefully Mick C should all reach the standard. No point arguing the merits of Fagan anymore. Everyone needs to move on at this stage; he's back running and will more than likely be competing in Rio.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Certainly higher profile, but if I asked my mother (who knows nothing about athletics) who Fionnuala Britton is she wouldn't know, as would none of my non-athletics friends or colleagues. High profile within athletic circles but non with the general public IMO. Anyway, spitting hairs, the point still stands!

The well educated sports fan would know who she is. I know people who don't follow athletics who know who she is based on her high profile successes. Same with Rob Heffernan and Mark English.

The type of people who only follow Ford Super Sunday wouldn't have a clue. Nor would those who don't care for any sport. Only the likes of Sonia has transcended to those people.

Who would he embarrass?

Most probably himself with blue tape and dropping out... I'd love to be proved wrong but trust the form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

Most probably himself with blue tape and dropping out... I'd love to be proved wrong but trust the form

Bitter?

Bitter?

No, no time for excuse making cheats

Not so sure about that. I'll ask some of my non running friends. I'll be surprised if they know of her, despite being sports fans. I think the chances are even less regarding Mark. That's life. People are always attracted by success. By success I mean being winning a medal at the Olympics when talking about athletics reaching the masses in this county.

my friend wrote:
    No, no time for excuse making cheats

Time to move on. That debate had been done to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Pollock, Kenneally, Sergiu and hopefully Mick C should all reach the standard. No point arguing the merits of Fagan anymore. Everyone needs to move on at this stage; he's back running and will more than likely be competing in Rio.

I feel like I've been put in a time machine and brought back to 2011. Back then everyone was convinced we'd have a mini bus full of Irish men with the QT for the Olympic marathon. We ended up with one! Of the ones you mentioned above I'd be surprised if we got more than one. All capable of it on their day no doubt but will each will only get 1-2 shots at it. Chances of injuries and weather conditions etc on the day will have a big say who goes.

• Advertisement

Not so sure about that. I'll ask some of my non running friends. I'll be surprised if they know of her, despite being sports fans. I think the chances are even less regarding Mark. That's life. People are always attracted by success. By success I mean being winning a medal at the Olympics when talking about athletics reaching the masses in this county.

She'd be known well enough. It depends on the type of sports fan as I said. A well rounded sports fan would know who she is. She's won 2 Euro Cross gold medals, and a Euro Indoor bronze, all covered live on RTE. Add to that several appearances at the Great Ireland Run which is always live on RTE. After Rob she'd probably be the best known current Irish athlete.

She'd probably be better known if she had the Derval O'Rourke type outgoing personality. FB is fairly quiet and doesn't like the limelight which would hinder her profile a bit, which I'm sure doesn't bother her one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Sergiu is a smart runner. If the time isn't on he'll simply pull the plug and run again. Really hope to see Mark K back. Think his Amsterdam time of 2.13 might be a hard one to replicate but could see him go 2.15 or thereabouts hopefully. Hard to know as he has only really ran 5k/4 milers.

I'd have Cragg over all of them if he can pull it together for the marathon. Surely, if he just ran for a q time, he wouldn't blowup. He's the class of all the hopefuls and has the most potential to run really quick.

I'd have Cragg over all of them if he can pull it together for the marathon. Surely, if he just ran for a q time, he wouldn't blowup. He's the class of all the hopefuls and has the most potential to run really quick.

Nah Craggs a quitter

Serious history of DNF's when it comes to marathon though, whatever his issue is.

She'd be known well enough. It depends on the type of sports fan as I said. A well rounded sports fan would know who she is. She's won 2 Euro Cross gold medals, and a Euro Indoor bronze, all covered live on RTE. Add to that several appearances at the Great Ireland Run which is always live on RTE. After Rob she'd probably be the best known current Irish athlete.

She'd probably be better known if she had the Derval O'Rourke type outgoing personality. FB is fairly quiet and doesn't like the limelight which would hinder her profile a bit, which I'm sure doesn't bother her one bit.

Just to end this stupid argument. I just went into the 3rd year teaching lab in my department! There are 105 students in there. By a show of hands, 26 of them know who FB is the rest haven't a clue.

I feel like I've been put in a time machine and brought back to 2011. Back then everyone was convinced we'd have a mini bus full of Irish men with the QT for the Olympic marathon. We ended up with one! Of the ones you mentioned above I'd be surprised if we got more than one. All capable of it on their day no doubt but will each will only get 1-2 shots at it. Chances of injuries and weather conditions etc on the day will have a big say who goes.

The qualifying system has changed though TRR. No B standard makes it very possible for all 3 seats to be filled now as well as the A standard been softer this time around. 2.16:59 wouldn't have qualified for London but it does this time, it opens the door for a lot more athletes.

Agree re weather and injuries but there's a great chance to send 2 or more this time around.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Serious history of DNF's when it comes to marathon though, whatever his issue is.

I think his attempts at John Treacy's record might have a lot to do with. Can't handle the pace but 2.15 really should be a walk in the park for him if that's all he wants.

The qualifying system has changed though TRR. No B standard makes it very possible for all 3 seats to be filled now as well as the A standard been softer this time around. 2.16:59 wouldn't have qualified for London but it does this time, it opens the door for a lot more athletes.

It's only a minute slower than last time. I'm not saying it's not possible for 3-4 to get the time. I'm just saying IMO I'll be surprised if there is that many! Will be delighted if I'm wrong. Pollock is the only one I'd put money on and even then he needs to get to get to the start line fit and ready to race!

I think his attempts at John Treacy's record might have a lot to do with. Can't handle the pace but 2.15 really should be a walk in the park for him if that's all he wants.

Attempts amount to nothing but excuses, he's sucked enough taxpayer funding for no results

my friend wrote:
    Nah Craggs a quitter

Yeah, you are right. Sure he only has a 60 minute half to his name.

Know where yout are coming from but well within them to get sub 2.17. No guarantees obviously but I'd back them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

the selection committee should really put an early deadline on marathon qualification. No point someone running the time after Feb/March

Irrelevant, we are talking about results, tell you what, google Alistair Cragg DNF

It's piteous

And a 13:03 5000m. Sure, he's a hobbyjogger!

RayCun wrote: »
    the selection committee should really put an early deadline on marathon qualification. No point someone running the time after Feb/March

For feck sake Ray, stop talking sense :)

I think you could push that to April though. The top guys have shorter marathon cycles than punters like ourselves. They should have to prove their fitness in a championship race too. Maybe the national half for example (not sure if dates suit). Will ensure we don't get a situation where an injured athlete travels and attempts to run again!

my friend wrote:
    Irrelevant, we are talking about results, tell you what, google Alistair Cragg DNF

How is that result irrelevant? Every result is relevant. I have no idea what type of shape he is in but the qualifying time should be a almost a formality if he is in any type of shape.

As mentioned above, he has often went for broke regarding the marathon.

It's piteous

I've just had a look at your post history and have spat tea all over my keyboard. See you are a big fan of liveline! Figures!

I've just had a look at your post history and have spat tea all over my keyboard. See you are a big fan of liveline! Figures!

Was just posting Liveline is obviously over for today!!

Interesting that from my posts on that thread you deduce I'm a fan

But continue in your search to play the man rather than deal with the matter of debate

Interesting that from my posts on that thread you deduce I'm a fan

But continue in your search to play the man rather than deal with the matter of debate

It's just your line of reasoning/debate is consistent with the sort of conversations that usually occur on liveline around the time of the olympics. That amused me greatly.

Jaysus Joe!

And a 13:03 5000m. Sure, he's a hobbyjogger!

Not an argument that defeats my point, I was at the 2013 London marathon WR Makau was having a fowler, struggled and drifted but didn't quit, he finished, it would have been acceptable for him not to finish but he didn't take that option

Now take Cragg pretty much any race he can't medal in he pulls up.

That's why I wouldn't send him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Just to end this stupid argument. I just went into the 3rd year teaching lab in my department! There are 105 students in there. By a show of hands, 26 of them know who FB is the rest haven't a clue.

Did you ask them then how many of them knew Paula Radcliffe? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Not an argument that defeats my point, I was at the 2013 London marathon WR Makau was having a fowler, struggled and drifted but didn't quit, he finished, it would have been acceptable for him not to finish but he didn't take that option

What about all of the other Kenyan's that didn't finish or who jogged in once they lost any chance of winning? It's almost routine for an elite marathon runner to back off when they can't win. It was noteworthy that Makau kept going on a bad day because it's so unusual.

That said, I think that Cragg has got an issue with finishing races. I'd be more inclined to see how he could be helped with that than to **** on him from a height though. We've little enough athletic talent that we can afford to thoughtlessly discard it.

Are you comparing a championship race to a big city marathon?
    There are performance related bonuses for finishing a big city marathon!
    You're entitled to your opinion regards Cragg. Someone with a differnet opinion might send him though! Don't know if he is even attempting it though. Would have to think that the 5k is still a possibility for him. 13.25 is QT I think!

Are you comparing a championship race to a big city marathon?
    There are performance related bonuses for finishing a big city marathon!
    You're entitled to your opinion regards Cragg. Someone with a differnet opinion might send him though! Don't know if he is even attempting it though. Would have to think that the 5k is still a possibility for him. 13.25 is QT I think!

Okay so now at least you are debating, this shouldn't be a place for sheep

Lads, is Cragg still competing? What has he been up to of late? Bit pointless discussing him unless we know he's actually targeting Rio.

He's been to 3 Olympic Ganes, reached 2 Olympic 5000m finals. Say what you like about him but he is a high quality athlete, and I can't imagine he'd be too bothered targeting a soft Olympic standard so he can trot around in Rio and make up the numbers. I actually admire his go for broke approach to the marathon. That NR is far too old. He fancied himself to have a good crack at it. He failed. Better to strive for greatness than to settle for mediocrity.

Haha, not sure if this is true or a piss take, but a 25% hit rate is pretty decent indeed, in a very saturated sports market.

Lads, is Cragg still competing? What has he been up to of late? Bit pointless discussing him unless we know he's actually targeting Rio.

He's been to 3 Olympic Ganes, reached 2 Olympic 5000m finals. Say what you like about him but he is a high quality athlete, and I can't imagine he'd be too bothered targeting a soft Olympic standard so he can trot around in Rio and make up the numbers. I actually admire his go for broke approach to the marathon. That NR is far too old. He fancied himself to have a good crack at it. He failed. Better to strive for greatness than to settle for mediocrity.

He's still competing Chivito. Training out in Boston with Tim Ritchie who is a 2.14 marathon runner so I would assume the marathon is still his target. I agree with you about going for the NR, I admire for trying it but the smart move now would be to run a Q time, get it out of the way and focus on getting in the best shape possible for Rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Who would you send? And why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

How long ago was that, 2012 I think.
    The same year he finished behind Pollock & Hehir in the Dublin marathon.
    He then finished 4 mins behind Hehir in 2013.

Pollock is a better marathon runner & I'd have Clohisey ahead of him also.
    I wouldn't write off Hehir either, he had a bad run in Rotterdam but I believe he was sick the week before the race. If he can do 2:17:59 on a tough hilly Zurich course, he's capable of taking a minute off that on a flat Berlin course which I think he is running.

• Advertisement

Who would you send? And why?

Standard? <2:12:59

That ability can place someone in a top 10 finish, if we're not competing for medals let's deal in respect.

Otherwise save the cash and put it into youth programs

Advertisement