Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio 2016 Marathon Qualification, whos trying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

my friend wrote: »
    Standard? <2:12:59

That ability can place someone in a top 10 finish, if we're not competing for medals let's deal in respect.

Otherwise save the cash and put it into youth programs

Hmmm, let me put it another way.
    Under the current criteria' who would you send?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

That ability can place someone in a top 10 finish, if we're not competing for medals let's deal in respect.

BS If that was the case you wouldn't have Michael Shelley going to the commonwealth games.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

WOW!

Are your criteria the same for every sport we compete in or is it saved especially for athletics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

I think it's pretty hilarious we are having to defend the right of 2 60 min HM lads to go and have a crack at running in the Olympic Marathon.

Maybe we should just wait and see how it all shakes out in the Autumn marathons before picking who does or doesn't make the plane.

Say what you want about both Cragg and Fagan but both have had the cojones to really go for it (in terms of running fast times) haven't always succeeded but I personally wouldn't be calling a 13:03 5k guy and the Irish HM record holder failures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

I think it's pretty hilarious we are having to defend the right of 2 60 min HM lads to go and have a crack at running in the Olympic Marathon.

Maybe we should just wait and see how it all shakes out in the Autumn marathons before picking who does or doesn't make the plane.

Say what you want about both Cragg and Fagan but both have had the cojones to really go for it (in terms of running fast times) haven't always succeeded but I personally wouldn't be calling a 13:03 5k guy and the Irish HM record holder failures

What would you call Fagan,a success?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

johnruns wrote:

In many ways yes I would. All dependant on your definition of the said word though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

LOL, Ireland should withdraw from international soccer competitions forthwith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

johnruns wrote: »

A success, a drugs cheat, a man, an athlete, shy, a depressive, an achiever, a failure and a multitude of other things. People are complex, we should stop thinking that we're all politicians trying to appeal to the LCD with some trite soundbite.

The point made was that aiming high and failing to get there does not make the person a failure when they have already succeeded at other levels. Fagan and Cragg have succeeded at many things in their lives. Focusing on the times that they didn't achieve their goals doesn't give you an insightful overall picture and promotes mediocrity.

my friend wrote:
    Standard?

That's a great idea! Great way to save money and as an added bonus it tells every kid dreaming of making the olympics one day not to bother training unless you are going to place and become essentially, world class.

Talk about inspiring the next generation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

That's a great idea! Great way to save money and as an added bonus it tells every kid dreaming of making the olympics one day not to bother training unless you are going to place and become essentially, world class.

Talk about inspiring the next generation.

In your world everyone gets a medal I see... Negates the value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I've been reading the last few pages of this. Are actually been serious, so if a young Irish athlete qualifies for the Olympics and doesn't come close to a medal he or she is a failure in your eyes.

I actually have great respect for English athletics, they applaud every one of there athletes no matter where they finish, in this country we shoot them down if they come close to winning.

If we don't support our athletes then we will never have success

I have to laugh! Nice way to get a debate started in fairness. I will give you that.

So, with that in mind we will only reserve the first row of seats on the plane! If even that.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pherekydes wrote: »
    LOL, Ireland should withdraw from international soccer competitions forthwith.

As should just about every country in the world with the exception of maybe 4 or 5 teams.

Clearlier wrote: »
    The point made was that aiming high and failing to get there does not make the person a failure when they have already succeeded at other levels. Fagan and Cragg have succeeded at many things in their lives. Focusing on the times that they didn't achieve their goals doesn't give you an insightful overall picture and promotes mediocrity.

And I never said anything different,fair play to Cragg he aimed high but didn't quite do it and I hope if he tries for Rio he makes it,Fagan aimed high took drugs instant failure in athletics imo.

I have to laugh! Nice way to get a debate started in fairness. I will give you that.

So, with that in mind we will only reserve the first row of seats on the plane! If even that.....

Ah shur don't send anyone, you should be finishing first and that's it.

jamesbere wrote:
    Ah shur don't send anyone, you should be finishing first and that's it.

While setting a world record......

While setting a world record......

At least under 2 hour marathon

Anyways does anyone know who else is going for the qualifying time and what races they are targeting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

John Treacy had never run a marathon before he won silver in LA. He failed to finish his 10.000m heat in the heat of Moscow, 1980. His time in LA was 2:09:56. His half marathon time was slower than that of both Cragg and Fagan. He ran a few slower ones too, he failed to finish in Seoul 1988 and ran 2:24 in Barcelona 1992.

The top three athletes achieving the qualifying standard should be sent to the olympics. While funding is limited and does need to be carefully apportioned IMO the benefits of sending a qualified athlete to the olympics far outweight the benefits of spending it on a nebulous youth programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Is the Marathon mission program still on the go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

johnruns wrote: »
    Anyways does anyone know who else is going for the qualifying time and what races they are targeting?

Has Gary Murray's name been mentioned in the thread, he is meant to be going for it.

No, front rows are for the OC boys

No, front rows are for the OC boys

Whats Orange County got to do with Olympic marathon qualifying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

tang1 wrote: »
    Whats Orange County got to do with Olympic marathon qualifying?

Is the men's marathon qualifying time the only event where it's slower than the women's world record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Is the men's marathon qualifying time the only event where it's slower than the women's world record?

Easily.

A random tidbit of info seen as we are doing trivia: the only event in T&F where the women's WR Is faster/higher/further than the men's is the Shot Putt. Of course, they use a 4kg shot rather than 7.26kg, and I wouldn't consider those East Germans and Soviets to be women anyway. But there you have it, in case you get asked that at a future pub quiz.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider those East Germans and Soviets to be women anyway.

Whatever do you mean..........

Easily.

A random tidbit of info seen as we are doing trivia: the only event in T&F where the women's WR Is faster/higher/further than the men's is the Shot Putt. Of course, they use a 4kg shot rather than 7.26kg, and I wouldn't consider those East Germans and Soviets to be women anyway. But there you have it, in case you get asked that at a future pub quiz.

Future pub quiz essentials

- East Germany hasn't existed since 1990
    - Soviet Union 1991

- Soviet Union 1991

I'd be fairly certain Chivito (and the rest of us) know that. You do realise the records he was referring to were set by people representing those countries at the time..

Just for ****s and giggles would you mind me asking your running background seeing as you have such strong opinions on what kind of times are acceptable and what times arent?

- Soviet Union 1991

You genuinely haven't a rashers do you?

Current ladies shot putt world record set in 1987 by natalya lisovskaya who was from wait for it the Soviet Union :)

Look her up. Jaysus Joe ;)

• Advertisement

Not to thread jack but was just thinking....

My new running hero is Spider-Man who ran the costumed WR 2:29 (smoking TRR ) and Radcliffe in the process in London. Think he won Manchester in 2:16 or so a couple weeks before- any chance we could find an Irish granny for him? How cool would it be to have a superhero wearing the green vest in an Oly marathon? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Not to thread jack but was just thinking....

My new running hero is Spider-Man who ran the costumed WR 2:29 (smoking TRR ) and Radcliffe in the process in London. Think he won Manchester in 2:16 or so a couple weeks before- any chance we could find an Irish granny for him? How cool would it be to have a superhero wearing the green vest in an Oly marathon? ;)

He is from New Zealand and has an Italian surname - chances of an Irish granny are slim.

Besides, he has already run for GB in a world championship.

He's not even a top 10 superhero though. I'd have Captain Marvel,Iron Man,Aqua Man,Flash,Black Bolt (kid you not),Dr. Strange,Silver Surfer,Superman,Thor and Batman ahead of him.

Anyway, everyone knows that Manchester course was only 26 kilometres and he took the tube in London too!

Easily.

Thks for that. Another bit of useless information that will save me some day:)

tang1 wrote: »
    Whatever do you mean..........

A fine piece of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

He's not even a top 10 superhero though. I'd have Captain Marvel,Iron Man,Aqua Man,Flash,Black Bolt (kid you not),Dr. Strange,Silver Surfer,Superman,Thor and Batman ahead of him.

Anyway, everyone knows that Manchester course was only 26 kilometres and he took the tube in London too!

What about Dr Q? He is the messiah after all.

• Advertisement

What about Dr Q? He is the messiah after all.

To paraphrase a long retired poster DQ is not the messiah but a very naughty boy

(Apologies to PM)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

- Soviet Union 1991

You have a year and 3 months to fine tune your skills. The Olympics bring out some of the finest trolls ever to visit AR. They tend to compete sparingly and only show up here every 4 years when in tip top shape. You are currently nowhere near the required standard. In fact right now, I personally could not justify spending tax payers money to pay for you to compete when it is quite clear you are not at the required level. But the good news is you have time on your side.

To paraphrase a long retired poster DQ is not the messiah but a very naughty boy

(Apologies to PM)

Retired?:confused:;)

Retired?:confused:;)

His first coming rather(Pageant Messiah) than his current embodiment(Pacing Mule).

You have a year and 3 months to fine tune your skills. The Olympics bring out some of the finest trolls ever to visit AR. They tend to compete sparingly and only show up here every 4 years when in tip top shape. You are currently nowhere near the required standard. In fact right now, I personally could not justify spending tax payers money to pay for you to compete when it is quite clear you are not at the required level. But the good news is you have time on your side.

A sensitive bunch here it appears, the rounding continues, care to stick to the facts with respect to the topic and my points?

It's noted that my reasonable request for elite competitive standards defined selection was avoided and dismissed, appear most of you approve of 'dumbing down' with respect to same

perhaps it's not the 'Olympic Games' you seek rather the 'Mediocre Games' or the 'Sure he's a nice lad Games'

• Advertisement

A sensitive bunch here it appears, the rounding continues, care to stick to the facts with respect to the topic and my points?

It's noted that my reasonable request for elite competitive standards defined selection was avoided and dismissed, appear most of you approve of 'dumbing down' with respect to same

perhaps it's not the 'Olympic Games' you seek rather the 'Mediocre Games' or the 'Sure he's a nice lad Games'

It's being dismissed because it was discussed at length already in this thread for nearly 10 pages. If you actually read the thing, you would know that.

God you are entertaining. Any chance you could answer the question I put too you? See post 302.

You'd win a Gold medal at the 'Talking out of your ar$e games' anyway!!!

Head off buddy and look at all time irish performances. Compare them to current Olympic QTs. Based on all time performances we'd have a small squad. I don't thin eamonn Coghlan would even qualify. Check out your facts and come back for a real debate.

Head off buddy and look at all time irish performances. Compare them to current Olympic QTs. Based on all time performances we'd have a small squad. I don't thin eamonn Coghlan would even qualify. Check out your facts and come back for a real debate.

We're discussing the marathon, specifically Rio and Irish Athletes and you reference Eamon Coughlan!!
    The requirement for fact checking lies in your court.

We're discussing the marathon, specifically Rio and Irish Athletes and you reference Eamon Coughlan!!

To add to Barry's que - I asked you a question as well about your background/ interest in athletics. When you finish answering his question will you answer mine?

Here is another question- rank these 3 in terms of Half Marathon PBs

Stephen Kiprotich
    Allistar Cragg
    Martin Fagan

Then get back to me

Here is another question- rank these 3 in terms of Half Marathon PBs

Stephen Kiprotich
    Allistar Cragg
    Martin Fagan

Then get back to me

Great question DQ!:D BOOM!

Well what about your top 10 criteria. Have a look at all time Irish list for marathon and compare to last 2 marathons in olympics. How many runners would ireland have sent. Answer on the back of a postage stamp. Similar to your knowledge of elite athletics. Good night Joe :)

Well what about your top 10 criteria. Have a look at all time Irish list for marathon and compare to last 2 marathons in olympics. How many runners would ireland have sent. Answer on the back of a postage stamp. Similar to your knowledge of elite athletics. Good night Joe :)

Irish Athletics is failing because of people with your attitude, the hard truth you won't face is the contemporary failings, the eighties crop haven't been bettered, with all the science, funding, camps, altitude, and in some cases drugs

But carry on alienating others with your mediocre elites !

• Advertisement
Advertisement