Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else had an Awakening/Paradigm Shift?

Options
  • 01-04-2015 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello. About five years ago I had what most people would call an awakening or paradigm shift. It is an ongoing process. I was wondering whether anyone else has had a similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

RoJoOC wrote: »
    Hello. About five years ago I had what most people would call an awakening or paradigm shift. It is an ongoing process. I was wondering whether anyone else has had a similar experience?

Dilbert, that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭macco66

Describe it a bit more, could you? Many are having experiences like this nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RoJoOC

It's hard to condese into a few sentences but I'll do my best to give you some idea if I can.
    Looking back now I see that it's really been a gradual process thats been going on for most of my life. Even before I was ten I remember thinking that what 'grown-ups' were doing with their lives didn't make sense to me. They seemed to have accepted that life was a certain way and they were resigned to playing the 'cards they were dealt' as if someone/something external was in control of them.
    They weren't actively making themselves happy which seemed mad to me. As I grew up the societal programming was relentless and I began to think it was me who was strange and that I was missing some vital piece of information that everyone else had had hard-wired into their brains which made them accept that leading a primarily unsatisfying and unrewarding life was what you did and was all there was.
    This inevitably lead to depression in my late teens which I battled with on and off until I was in my late thirties. I began to read and research about buddhism, philosophy, quantum physics, metaphysics, spirituality etc. which, although it all initially confused me, I felt there was something there.
    The most significant paradigm shift/awakening haoppened when around five years ago at a time when I was reading a "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle. I watched a documentary about Darwin and the concept of evolution became completly clear to me for the first time. This fed into what I had been reading about the ego and I made the realisation that life/the universe/reality, whatever you want to call it, was essentially just one big picture updating itself in a feedback loop, constantly evolving and refining itself with each 'moment'.
    Over time this lead to greater and greater clarity and acceptance of what is. The most significant realisation being that everything is what it is and it can't be any other way ie. that life is perfect as it is and requires no effort on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

It's hard to condese into a few sentences but I'll do my best to give you some idea if I can.
    Looking back now I see that it's really been a gradual process thats been going on for most of my life. Even before I was ten I remember thinking that what 'grown-ups' were doing with their lives didn't make sense to me. They seemed to have accepted that life was a certain way and they were resigned to playing the 'cards they were dealt' as if someone/something external was in control of them.
    They weren't actively making themselves happy which seemed mad to me. As I grew up the societal programming was relentless and I began to think it was me who was strange and that I was missing some vital piece of information that everyone else had had hard-wired into their brains which made them accept that leading a primarily unsatisfying and unrewarding life was what you did and was all there was.
    This inevitably lead to depression in my late teens which I battled with on and off until I was in my late thirties. I began to read and research about buddhism, philosophy, quantum physics, metaphysics, spirituality etc. which, although it all initially confused me, I felt there was something there.
    The most significant paradigm shift/awakening haoppened when around five years ago at a time when I was reading a "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle. I watched a documentary about Darwin and the concept of evolution became completly clear to me for the first time. This fed into what I had been reading about the ego and I made the realisation that life/the universe/reality, whatever you want to call it, was essentially just one big picture updating itself in a feedback loop, constantly evolving and refining itself with each 'moment'.
    Over time this lead to greater and greater clarity and acceptance of what is. The most significant realisation being that everything is what it is and it can't be any other way ie. that life is perfect as it is and requires no effort on my part.

Yes and me too to everything you wrote! The hard bit though is walking the walk and negotiating old relationships and normal life in general once you wake up. If anyone wants to talk about the practicalities of that pleeeeeease do because my poor little enlightened ( maybe not fully,but almost fully enlightened :P )head is wrecked ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

lolo62 wrote: »
    Yes and me too to everything you wrote! The hard bit though is walking the walk and negotiating old relationships and normal life in general once you wake up. If anyone wants to talk about the practicalities of that pleeeeeease do because my poor little enlightened ( maybe not fully,but almost fully enlightened :P )head is wrecked ðŸ˜

Enlightenment is really about nothing; I come from nothing and return to nothing. The path that the enlightened mind walks is about letting go and changing, one may become enlightened on a Sunday but will wake up back in the unenlightened state on Monday, we are hardwired to default to the human state simply by virtue of being human. And as humans we are creatures of habit or addicts to put it bluntly.

In order to walk the walk we have to reaffirm our choice and experience of enlightenment on an ongoing basis, last Sundays enlightened moments are of little benefit on a Friday when your human self is looking for fun food n frolics . Enlightenment is not about knowledge, knowing about it, it's about knowing you are experiencing now, it's a living entity that only lives now, this is where some sort of meditation or awareness practice helps even if it’s only for a few seconds it can break a train of thought and snap you back to your chosen path again.
    As humans we are full of the past or longing for a future. To walk the walk one has to be acutely aware of the feelings you are producing or manufacturing now or “in the moment “as the saying goes, and most importantly to be responsible for the feeling, without responsibly we cannot change it or let it go.

As the original poster on this thread said and you agreed, everything is happening for a reason and all is as it should be, that process does not stop just because you are aware of it, in fact your awareness of it comes into its own, or tries to at the very least, if you can look back and see a process unfolded to get you to where you are now, don't let your ego get in the way by thinking the process has stopped and you are now in control - your not -, what is unfolding before your eyes or in your memory is to show you something about yourself, it's giving you the opportunity to respond by creating a feeling within in response to a happening outside of you, or from the past or imagined future.

It's all the different feelings that we manufacture that stops us walking the walk, we cannot be enlightened (empty nothing peaceful) and something else at the same time, if enlightenment is white all other states of mind are different colours and even a tiny drop of colour will change white into not white anymore.

So the walk is to keep doing the same thing, like putting one foot in front of the other repeatedly, you have to keep claiming responsibly for your feelings and changing it or letting it go and choosing nothing in its place. It’s never about him or her or them or that it is always always about you.

Happy Every Day
    P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Enlightenment is really about nothing; I come from nothing and return to nothing. The path that the enlightened mind walks is about letting go and changing, one may become enlightened on a Sunday but will wake up back in the unenlightened state on Monday, we are hardwired to default to the human state simply by virtue of being human. And as humans we are creatures of habit or addicts to put it bluntly.

In order to walk the walk we have to reaffirm our choice and experience of enlightenment on an ongoing basis, last Sundays enlightened moments are of little benefit on a Friday when your human self is looking for fun food n frolics . Enlightenment is not about knowledge, knowing about it, it's about knowing you are experiencing now, it's a living entity that only lives now, this is where some sort of meditation or awareness practice helps even if it’s only for a few seconds it can break a train of thought and snap you back to your chosen path again.
    As humans we are full of the past or longing for a future. To walk the walk one has to be acutely aware of the feelings you are producing or manufacturing now or “in the moment “as the saying goes, and most importantly to be responsible for the feeling, without responsibly we cannot change it or let it go.

As the original poster on this thread said and you agreed, everything is happening for a reason and all is as it should be, that process does not stop just because you are aware of it, in fact your awareness of it comes into its own, or tries to at the very least, if you can look back and see a process unfolded to get you to where you are now, don't let your ego get in the way by thinking the process has stopped and you are now in control - your not -, what is unfolding before your eyes or in your memory is to show you something about yourself, it's giving you the opportunity to respond by creating a feeling within in response to a happening outside of you, or from the past or imagined future.

It's all the different feelings that we manufacture that stops us walking the walk, we cannot be enlightened (empty nothing peaceful) and something else at the same time, if enlightenment is white all other states of mind are different colours and even a tiny drop of colour will change white into not white anymore.

So the walk is to keep doing the same thing, like putting one foot in front of the other repeatedly, you have to keep claiming responsibly for your feelings and changing it or letting it go and choosing nothing in its place. It’s never about him or her or them or that it is always always about you.

Happy Every Day
    P

oh, right

lolo62 wrote: »
    oh, right

long time since my head was wrecked

Back some years ago, I was meditating one day, with nothing on my mind and a feeling of peace within, and I had a vision, it started as a blank screen all around me then I saw a corridor and someone walking towards me down this corridor, as the image got clearer and nearer, I realised it was my father, I didn't get along with him for most of my early life, anyway I could feel my peace slipping and anger rising in its place, I then had my awakening, I realised I was reacting to an Image, to something outside of me, to a memory from the past that was gone, but the angry feeling I had was real, I realised that everything is outside of me and the feelings I experience will always be within myself and more importantly they have the power to replace peace, this has led me to live life looking at and monitoring my own feelings and utilising my power of choice to change them and not blame others or things from the past on them as I had always done, I had to accept I was creating my own feeling and not catching it from anything or anyone outside, the big shift was realising, in relation to my feelings, the world around me is no different than the vision I had while meditating, it’s all a vision offering me the choice of creating whatever feeling I wanted too, I already knew that when I stopped creating my own feelings peace is there already I don’t have to do anything but join with it.

Happy Every Day
    P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Roger Buck

I had what I would call an awakening - certainly a massive paradigm shift.

But I suspect it will strike people on this subforum in a distinctly odd way.

For nearly 20 years, I was heavily involved in New Age spirituality. I lived at Findhorn in Scotland, revered the Course in Miracles, was training in Psychosynthesis and had a wonderful Jungian therapist, was initiated into Reiki etc etc etc …

Then I found a book called Meditations on the Tarot, combining the esoteric with Catholic Christianity.

Curious, I went to a Mass. As I was not a Catholic - not even baptised a Christian - I did not receive the Sacrament. Still, the priest blessed me … and I felt distinctly different afterwards.

A few days later, I think, I had an extraordinary inner experience I cannot possibly describe in a sentence or two, but it felt as though I had found something I had been missing all my life and never found in my nearly 20 years in the New Age movement.

That is putting it very mildly. But to make things very short, I cannot help but connect that extraordinary experience to the blessing I received a few days earlier.

The net result was that two years later I converted to Catholicism.

So that's my "paradigm shift".

Later I moved to Ireland and was stunned by what I found here ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Roger Buck

Roger Buck wrote: »
    Then I found a book called Meditations on the Tarot, combining the esoteric with Catholic Christianity.

Curious, I went to a Mass. As I was not a Catholic - not even baptised a Christian - I did not receive the Sacrament. Still, the priest blessed me … and I felt distinctly different afterwards.

A few days later, I think, I had an extraordinary inner experience I cannot possibly describe in a sentence or two, but it felt as though I had found something I had been missing all my life and never found in my nearly 20 years in the New Age movement.

That is putting it very mildly. But to make things very short, I cannot help but connect that extraordinary experience to the blessing I received a few days earlier.

The net result was that two years later I converted to Catholicism.

As I said, it's far too much to put in a forum like this, but if anyone does want to know anymore about the experience I describe, they can go here:

http://corjesusacratissimum.org/2013/03/from-findhorn-to-catholicism-on-leaving-the-new-age-for-the-church/

There's also more there about Meditations on the Tarot - which might just interest people with an interest in both esotericism and Catholicism

• Advertisement
Advertisement