Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copper sheathed cable

Options
  • 01-04-2015 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

I came across the use of copper sheathed cable in the electrical distribution of a residential building I was looking at. If an electrical contractor was completing a periodic test on this premises , would they say that this cable needs to be replaced. . . . Or would it be okay to leave it ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

noddyk wrote: »
    Hi

I came across the use of copper sheathed cable in the electrical distribution of a residential building I was looking at. If an electrical contractor was completing a periodic test on this premises , would they say that this cable needs to be replaced. . . . Or would it be okay to leave it ??

I presume you are referring to MIMS cable (aka Pyro or MICC).

If so (and notwithstanding the fact that I haven't inspected and tested it so cannot possibly know what condition it is in) it is likely to outlast anyone here if installed properly. It is about the best cable available - although horrendously expensive these days (and the labour cost would be dear too!).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi

I agree with the last post, although I am not 100% clear what type of cable it is either.

Just to add: The cable only needs to be replaced if it is found not to be fit for purpose. Is there anything to suggest that this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Hi

residential???? ex government building??? they always had crazy spec for public and government buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭noddyk

evosteo wrote: »
    residential???? ex government building??? they always had crazy spec for public and government buildings.

Thanks everyone for above advice. Ex gov ya , ur right !!

Advertisement