Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Center Parcs Resort for Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭davehey79

i swear i thought it was the most elaborate April fools joke when i heard it on Sshannonside this morning !! That was until it was on all the national stations and papers !!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is it an April fool or not? Be delighted for Longford if true as it needs a big boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭davehey79

It's not an April Fools was just the timing had me questioning it !

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DragonKhan

Absolutely fantastic news for Longford! Biggest jobs boost since Abbott healthcare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Great news, Hope everything goes well in the planning stages.

• Advertisement

Delighted for Longford. I'd say a lot of effort has gone in behind the scenes to persuade them to set up. Really important as the county has suffered worse than anywhere since recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I think the "leaked" announcement yesterday was purposeful as in a way you woudl think it as an April Fools joke - then you see where Center parcs locate in UK - same sort of location.

These are great places - obviously you get the family holidays in the summer & easter, but in off peak times they have a huge amount of corporate business (I was at 2 conferences in center parcs). You can just see the googles, facebooks, twitters etc having their employee get togethers there.

I can't get over how great this is for Longford! :D

All the same if you read the comments on social media and on other threads there is a horrendous amount of begrudgerry and mocking of Longford by those outside the county

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭ratracer

I'm not from anywhere near Longford, but I really hope this goes ahead. However I fear all the 'environ mentalists' and tree huggers are gonna cause havoc with planning, building etc.... 'Not in my forest'

ratracer wrote: »
    I'm not from anywhere near Longford, but I really hope this goes ahead. However I fear all the 'environ mentalists' and tree huggers are gonna cause havoc with planning, building etc.... 'Not in my forest'

If they do I'll come back from the UK and tell em to eff off from my old running track

• Advertisement

DragonKhan wrote: »
    I can't get over how great this is for Longford! :D

All the same if you read the comments on social media and on other threads there is a horrendous amount of begrudgerry and mocking of Longford by those outside the county

Load of rubbish. Longford has an image problem alright but a lot of it is to do with the place being continually ignored by successive govts. I'm not from up there but it's obvious as day it's needs special help and incentives to promote development, over and above other parts.
    Hope it gets going soon. As well development of the N/M4 road for access.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think the place they're proposing is only a few km's from the Royal Canal, Abbeyshrule, so could be a good link up there for cyclists cycling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think the place they're proposing is only a few km's from the Royal Canal, Abbeyshrule, so could be a good link up there for cyclists cycling it.

people going to this place won't be cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    people going to this place won't be cycling.

They mightn't be cycling there but there will certainly be a lot with bikes. A good track along the canal will allow the "outdoorsie family" to cycle a fair distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/center-parcs-to-unveil-model-for-200m-longford-site-1.2332465

Big unveiling, I hope it goes down well but they retain the natural beauty of the forest.

Some 15 Longford county councillors and the four local TDs James Bannon,Willie Penrose, Robert Troy andGabrielle McFadden visited its latest development, Center Parcs Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire this week. [\quote]

19 of them! FFS. I wonder who paid for them?

I presume it means that those of us that use the woods for walking will no longer be allowed to once the state owned woods have been sold to a private entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭INPUT INNPUT

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I presume it means that those of us that use the woods for walking will no longer be allowed to once the state owned woods have been sold to a private entity.
    Hi Fuzzy, it's gonna change abit alright, see the new green path around the perimeter (outside) on the map here, Number 4

719669796.jpg

That's the new walk they are (supposedly) gonna make to keep the local riff-raff away from the high end clientele they are expecting to fill the uber expensive Cabins during the WK.

Now, this lot,
    1986209192.jpg

after their jolly boys paid for outing will probably agree to anything after their few days away so you'd be needing to check if that remains when the planning permission goes in...you'd imagine it'd be a first thing on the list/basic requirement for local access to remain but with this country nowadays...:rolleyes:

Centre Parcs are back in Ballymahon on the 7th and 8th Sep so you'd could go and have a chat/look at the Model they're supposed to be bringing but again they'll promise the moon and Stars for now if it means getting permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

KAGY wrote: »
    Some 15 Longford county councillors and the four local TDs James Bannon,Willie Penrose, Robert Troy andGabrielle McFadden visited its latest development, Center Parcs Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire this week. [\quote]

19 of them! FFS. I wonder who paid for them?

I'll give you one guess - The Irish taxpayers .:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

1986209192.jpg

Where was Gabrielle hiding when the photo was taken ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

What is your problem with Longford? Do you even know anything about the actual location this is being built? I do as I grew up next to it and it will be a fantastic location for it.

He wasn't getting the response he wanted here so he started a thread in AH for some more Longford basing.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Apart from the jollies and junkets by our councillors and TDs and the loss of a walking route I've no problem with this at all.
    I've also seen no reports of direct govt spending on this (open to correction on that) so even of it fails we're no worse off

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

On the mobile at the minute, but their post is gone. They are after a reaction, don't give them the satisfaction folks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

And they have been banned. Carry on folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Aye, saw that too. About time a decision was made, one way or the other really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Really looking forward to the park opening. Are they currently building? Any idea when it's complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Delighted for ya all.

Now just to put the kibosh on it, did some farmer make a mint selling the land, or is it a Company like Coillte or something. Just wondered!

Should be great when ready, and easily accessible from anywhere in the country really.

If marketed correctly, lots of overseas visitors too hopefully, for the clean air and forest surroundings. Win, win.

All the best.

• Advertisement

Delighted for ya all.

Now just to put the kibosh on it, did some farmer make a mint selling the land, or is it a Company like Coillte or something. Just wondered!

Should be great when ready, and easily accessible from anywhere in the country really.

If marketed correctly, lots of overseas visitors too hopefully, for the clean air and forest surroundings. Win, win.

All the best.

Coillte I think.

Advertisement