Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Center Parcs Resort for Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0726/804870-center-parcs-longford/

Good news but I wonder what the additional planning conditions are. These and Brexit could possibly affect the financials so it's not a done deal yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It'd be nice to get some progress one way or the other on this. The perpetual delaying has been quite frustrating.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

jimd2 wrote: »
    Good news but I wonder what the additional planning conditions are.

Details just published on the ABP website:

http://www.pleanala.ie/news/246336/246336.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Conditions sounds reasonable enough, starting on page 10 of this doc http://www.pleanala.ie/news/246336/R246336.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Best of luck to them

Sorry to see the woods being developed as they are a lovely spot for walks etc
    But you cannot argue with that many jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dublinhurler

I've seen people saying all sorts recently about centre parcs coming. I think it is great and can't wait for it to open. I think the jobs that will come from building and jobs from when it opens are huge boost. I feel the amount of visitors to Ireland and Longford will benefit the country and local businesses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 longford101

its fantastic! delighted for the county

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭everybodyhas1

The locals don't know what they've given up..& can never get back for future generations. Shame on a town that has no confidence in itself.

The locals don't know what they've given up..& can never get back for future generations. Shame on a town that has no confidence in itself.

They've 'given-up' hundreds of unemployed people.

Graham wrote: »
    They've 'given-up' hundreds of unemployed people.

How about if the town had seen its own potential? The forest, canal and river have always been here - & free to enjoy. A huge part of Ballymahons' charm is its pristine scenery . The Traders & towns people could have come together and promoted its central location as one where tourists could go mountain biking, trail walking, camping, kayaking, horse-back riding, birdwatching and fishing. All could have supported genuine local employment.
    They could have promoted their fresh grown produce in restaurants and shops, with a huge focus on healthy lifestyles. In these times of concern regarding mental health not to mention growing concerns over physical health, free outdoor space is a commodity which we should be trying to hold on to- not sell off.
    The forest here has always been beautiful and here for anyone to enjoy- some people don't see the value of a thing until a price tag is slapped onto it.
    The people here could have created jobs based on the lifestyle of being able to just drive to the forest and pitch a tent wherever your fancy. Hunting and fishing is regulated and local fauna protected from over hunting, but the activities are practiced, and there some beautiful areas in which to enjoy them. Furthermore, the town should have independently done these things. In center parcs, you eat there and sleep there. It's an absolute shame that the town has allowed itself to be exploited. The potential for local run hotels and eateries here would the been incredible. Marketed as the heart of ireland where the focus was on health, well-being, quality of life, education and art and free space. Available to all. You will not be permitted to set foot in the forest now unless you pay to stay at least one night thanks to Centre Parcs means greed.

• Advertisement

The Traders & towns people could have come together and promoted its central location as one where tourists could go mountain biking, trail walking, camping, kayaking, horse-back riding, birdwatching and fishing. All could have supported genuine local employment.

Why didn't you organise that years ago? Why didn't the 'towns people'? You reckon that would have created 1000+ jobs and injected several hundred million into the local economy?
    You will not be permitted to set foot in the forest now

I suggest you go and familiarise yourself with the planning application/conditions. I understand there will be an increase in the public footpaths, not a decrease.

Just wondering, Graham, have you been in the forest? Why would paths around the perimeter improve things for the locals? It's a forest. I have familirised myself with the plans. And I know how well how they have been presented in a misleading light.
    As I said, the people here have no confidence in their own abilities and in what was to offer here. That's what's upsetting. They will allow a few make a lot of money from what was once theirs while they are expected to be grateful for minimum wage.

Why would paths around the perimeter improve things for the locals?

I think it's safe to say that for a very large number of locals, feeding, clothing, housing and generally supporting themselves and their families is an order of magnitude further up their hierarchy of needs.

Let's face it, the entire county has been an employment dessert for many people. Spouting some fridge-magnet-philosophy 'have confidence in your own abilities' hasn't or isn't likely to change that. Large scale employment is what's needed and that's exactly what's being generated here. If that means redirecting the weekend stroll of a handful of people, so be it.

I agree that feeding, clothing, housing are the most important thing for the locals here. I'm saying that this was possible without turning to a faceless corporation to do it for the town - making those at the top incredibly wealthy.

Why wasn't it done before? There was a recession. Now health and wellbeing tourism is about to be a huge industy.

I'm saying employment should have been created here locally. Without giving up the local commodities to a huge company.

Families should have free open space. Not just some rusty swings and a green beside a drive way. That's healthy for body and mind. Not everything you have to pay for is what makes gives you a sense of happiness and makes your life enjoyable.

I think we're agreed in what the town needs - employment & security. Had you not been so intent on arguing for arguments sake you may have noticed that. I just believe there was another way to go about it.

Had you not been so intent on arguing for arguments sake you may have noticed that.

I just disagree with you, it's that simple.
    I just believe there was another way to go about it.

I think a 1000+ jobs in the hand is worth infinitely more than some airy fairy, coulda shoulda woulda hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

Centre Parcs signed for the purchase of 400 acres from Coillte at Ballymahon yesterday so it looks like the development is definitely going ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dublinhurler

I heard that hoarding was being erected this week and tree felling will be done shortly so I'm delighted it's beginning to take progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SeanieMon

Yeah, was back home over the weekend, and was out that way visiting relatives. Good to see the wheels firmly in motion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Construction of pedestrian footpaths starting this month.

all paths into the forest have been fenced off with security fencing

no more walks allowed

• Advertisement

no more walks allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

nice_guy80 wrote: »

no more walks allowed

Hi guys, just to clarify, all paths have not been closed, there is approximately 40-50 per cent of the forest which is definitely unaffected on the town side of the River Inny, and there are still paths on the Center Parcs development side that are still accessible at the moment as far as I know. Also, with the perimeter walk, there is a buffer of tree cover I think which that walk way will run through so it's not just running around the outside of the forest, it will be a woodland walk, and a lot easier to navigate/travel on than some of the existing tracks for people with mobility issues.

To address points made on this thread earlier this year, the local people couldn't have done this themselves, where were they to get 233 million euro? Also the forest wasn't theirs to do with what they wished, it was a commercially grown forest, for logging and in fact, I understand, was due to be razed completely by around 2020 as it had come to "logging maturity" so no, there wouldn't have been a "natural" "freely available" amenity, it would have been gone.

Now the forest will be preserved by an eco friendly company, visitors will get to come and stay in it for many years to come, and some of the heritage/archaelogical sites within it will be shown off.

Meanwhile, the locals are busy preparing the town for tourists, continuing their work on the rivers and canals which they have been actively promoting and working on for years as well as the historical aspects of the town - it has huge cultural/literary links.

Locals are living and learning and working hard... for those criticising the town and people in it, could I suggest that maybe you come and visit and put your money where your mouth is if you have so much to say about a town and county that is doing its best to promote itself and improve itself. Or if you are already a local, bring someone else to visit and see the town through new eyes. Just a thought.

_Lady_ wrote: »
    Hi guys, just to clarify, all paths have not been closed, there is approximately 40-50 per cent of the forest which is definitely unaffected on the town side of the River Inny, and there are still paths on the Center Parcs development side that are still accessible at the moment as far as I know. Also, with the perimeter walk, there is a buffer of tree cover I think which that walk way will run through so it's not just running around the outside of the forest, it will be a woodland walk, and a lot easier to navigate/travel on than some of the existing tracks for people with mobility issues.

To address points made on this thread earlier this year, the local people couldn't have done this themselves, where were they to get 233 million euro? Also the forest wasn't theirs to do with what they wished, it was a commercially grown forest, for logging and in fact, I understand, was due to be razed completely by around 2020 as it had come to "logging maturity" so no, there wouldn't have been a "natural" "freely available" amenity, it would have been gone.

Now the forest will be preserved by an eco friendly company, visitors will get to come and stay in it for many years to come, and some of the heritage/archaelogical sites within it will be shown off.

Meanwhile, the locals are busy preparing the town for tourists, continuing their work on the rivers and canals which they have been actively promoting and working on for years as well as the historical aspects of the town - it has huge cultural/literary links.

Locals are living and learning and working hard... for those criticising the town and people in it, could I suggest that maybe you come and visit and put your money where your mouth is if you have so much to say about a town and county that is doing its best to promote itself and improve itself. Or if you are already a local, bring someone else to visit and see the town through new eyes. Just a thought.
    where did I criticise
    all I said was the walkways on the abbeyshrule road end were closed off.
    and a perimeter fence installed

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    where did I criticise

I suspect that was aimed at some of the earlier posts in the thread.

Absolutely, the criticism was earlier, but also a lot of people are saying that it's completely closed and that's why I wanted to clarify, in fairness Nice Guy, you didn't specify the Abbeyshrule Road end and if you did somewhere else, my apols, I didn't see that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭baldbear

Hi Lady, do you know who first looked at Longford for a centre parcs destination?

When I first heard and saw some of our local politicians in the photo ops I thought it was wishful thinking.

I can't wait to see the final result & go holidaying in Ballymahon with the family!

I think it's safe to say that Center Parcs looked at Longford for a Center Parcs destination! :) I know that every politician, local and national were all fully behind it throughout, as well as the county council staff and the guys at Coillte. My understanding is that they investigated options a few years previous as well, and that it was down to the location and the maturity of the tree coverage that got Newcastle the prize. I'm looking forward to it meself! From my brief exp over visiting one in UK, it doesn't matter where you are, it's like you can cut yourself off from the world when you go in. Local challenge is to try and get some of the visitors out to the surrounding areas.

Cycling along the canals will be crucial for local areas

"I suggest you go and familiarise yourself with the planning application/conditions. I understand there will be an increase in the public footpaths, not a decrease."

Now I am seeing the 'progress' first hand. The canal has been destroyed. Your 'increase in the public footpaths' are an absolute eye sore. And this is just the begining by all accounts. Disgusting. County councillors should be ashamed of themselves. Once beautiful scenery is simply gone.

• Advertisement

"I suggest you go and familiarise yourself with the planning application/conditions. I understand there will be an increase in the public footpaths, not a decrease."

Now I am seeing the 'progress' first hand. The canal has been destroyed. Your 'increase in the public footpaths' are an absolute eye sore. And this is just the begining by all accounts. Disgusting. County councillors should be ashamed of themselves. Once beautiful scenery is simply gone.

You said yourself, it's in progress. There is nothing in the history of Centre Parcs construction projects to suggest they will not finish the job so I'm struggling to see what your issue is.

Advertisement