Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Center Parcs Resort for Longford

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

mario84s wrote: »
    That's all good and great, but when you can take the kids away to bloody Salou for same money AND all inclusive, then that tells you something...

Agreed. It tells you some people want to go to Salou, others would prefer to go to Center Parcs.

To each their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Personally If you think the prices in Centreparcs are too expensive, you are not the target market. The idea of the park is to keep you 'captured' for the entirety of your stay extracting as much as possible from the consumer. Not my thing but each to their own. Jobs, even badly paid ones are good news. Pity local home owners are going to engage in 'rent rape' but such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Accidentally

Personally If you think the prices in Centreparcs are too expensive, you are not the target market. The idea of the park is to keep you 'captured' for the entirety of your stay extracting as much as possible from the consumer. Not my thing but each to their own. Jobs, even badly paid ones are good news. Pity local home owners are going to engage in 'rent rape' but such is life.

Local rent prices have moved from very low to low, which is not surprising as there's not that many properties to rent. If you want cheaper rent, go 20 minutes up the road to Longford Town, or Lanesborough, or Edgeworthstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

mario84s wrote: »
    That's all good and great, but when you can take the kids away to bloody Salou for same money AND all inclusive, then that tells you something...

It tells me that some people with a few quid to spend are going to start spending it in Longford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 vincedh

hondar wrote: »
    Jobs being created! Get your facts straight before posting bull****.the jobs that are being created are 18 hours a week at minimum wage.
    slave1 wrote: »
    Their staff turnover is over 30% pa consistently, that tells me enough.
    I hope it's a success but having looked at their pricing I was gobsmacked

A huge number of people are looking for part-time jobs that allows them to also mind their children. Places like Center Parcs provide these types of jobs. Its also not always about the money. The importance of a job and adult company on your metal wellbeing is another consideration. Then in the peak periods you have a high level of students and in an area like that, most can stay at home and earn money and experience hard work which will stand them in good stead for the future.
    Turnover is these types of jobs are always high everywhere in the world. Some just want it for a few months to earn money for an occasion, others are just there for a season.

Pricing. Peak season will always be expensive. Same in places like Aria Resorts in the UK. A quick look on center parcs gives you a 4 night midweek break in October for under €400 in a two bed lodge. Personally I think that is exceptional value for what is provided. Same two bed is €530 in 1st week September, but a whopping €1100 in August. But a one bed studio is €600 in august for 4 nights midweek. I know I'll be taking a trip there in the autumn as they also allow dogs.

As a comparison, the Retalrack Resort in Cornwall (Aria Resorts) is charging me £640 (about €750) for 4 nights midweek in May in a lodge. The same lodge in July is over £1200 for a 4 night midweek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

vincedh wrote: »
    A quick look on center parcs gives you a 4 night midweek break in October for under €400 in a two bed lodge. Personally I think that is exceptional value for what is provided. Same two bed is €530 in 1st week September, but a whopping €1100 in August. But a one bed studio is €600 in august for 4 nights midweek. I know I'll be taking a trip there in the autumn as they also allow dogs.

As a comparison, the Retalrack Resort in Cornwall (Aria Resorts) is charging me £640 (about €750) for 4 nights midweek in May in a lodge. The same lodge in July is over £1200 for a 4 night midweek.

What do you think the €400 will get you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

vargoo wrote: »

a 4 night midweek break in October in a two bed lodge apparently :D

During the same period you could book 4 nights in:

a room in the Shelbourne for €1400
    a juinor suite in the Shelbourne for €3850
    a double room in the Travelodge Dublin Airport (Swords) for €436

Whatever your thoughts/opinions/prejudice, it is likely that all of the above will be occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Accidentally

You mention that locals will never get to see the place. The only reason any of the locals want to see the place is out of sheer nosiness. It's not as if any of them ever intend to stay there, when they already live down the road.

You mentioned the rise in local rent, but you can still get an apartment for the same price as a room in a house in Galway.

You then mention €400 a week which will get you sod all in the summer, but quite a lot in the winter. Its obviously not targeted at the locals, so unless you are not local, why would you care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 vincedh

I would assume I'll be getting a very nice two bed lodge overlooking the "lake" with living room and kitchenette and the rooms cleaned each day. Also access to the pool, walks and other activities.
    I have added the €15 extra for access to the gym for the period and herself will probably book a a spa treatment which is extra.

Locals can access the sites in the UK via taking a spa treatment, I would expect similar here too. And the real locals will alway know where the "gap in the wall" is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've stayed in one in Longleat, in the very nice "treehouse" accommodation. If you have kids, up as far as teenagers, it's a brilliant place to go. Of course you can go on a sun holiday, but tbh, I'd rather go to centre parks if it was the same price. No airport bullshít to deal with and you get a bit of exercise, plenty of activities to do with your kids too. It is is pricey, but the accommodation was top notch and well kept. It's a bit like Lough Key with more activities and lots of accommodation.
    But as someone said, it's very self contained, if you're there for 4 days you probably won't leave the place

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

vincedh wrote: »
    A huge number of people are looking for part-time jobs that allows them to also mind their children. Places like Center Parcs provide these types of jobs. Its also not always about the money. The importance of a job and adult company on your metal wellbeing is another consideration. Then in the peak periods you have a high level of students and in an area like that, most can stay at home and earn money and experience hard work which will stand them in good stead for the future.
    Turnover is these types of jobs are always high everywhere in the world. Some just want it for a few months to earn money for an occasion, others are just there for a season.

Center Parcs do not do seasonal (summer students etc) hiring, they operate a 365day full time model so it makes no difference to them if it's Easter Break or middle of October.
    I am quite aware of staff turnover at minimum wage level and CP exceed it because of the pressure of turnaround they place on cleaning staff, I've had to look into this company for certain reasons and I'm happy that what I say above is a fair reflection.

Listen, I hope they succeed but I would rather they did not use a gas pipeline to heat their facility and the pricing is something the market will bring balance to in good time

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

slave1 wrote: »
    Center Parcs do not do seasonal (summer students etc) hiring, they operate a 365day full time model so it makes no difference to them if it's Easter Break or middle of October.
    I am quite aware of staff turnover at minimum wage level and CP exceed it because of the pressure of turnaround they place on cleaning staff, I've had to look into this company for certain reasons and I'm happy that what I say above is a fair reflection.

Listen, I hope they succeed but I would rather they did not use a gas pipeline to heat their facility and the pricing is something the market will bring balance to in good time

I know a lot of kids in the local schools have been doing lifeguarding courses as they know they will get work in the place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Good news, still plenty of minimum wage jobs available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

Not every job can be highly paid. Or highly skilled.

For a healthy job market there needs to be jobs at all levels.

That is good news. And at an ideal time of year with students finished for the summer etc. too.

slave1 wrote:
    Center Parcs do not do seasonal (summer students etc) hiring, they operate a 365day full time model so it makes no difference to them if it's Easter Break or middle of October. I am quite aware of staff turnover at minimum wage level and CP exceed it because of the pressure of turnaround they place on cleaning staff, I've had to look into this company for certain reasons and I'm happy that what I say above is a fair reflection.

That is good news. And at an ideal time of year with students finished for the summer etc. too.

Your post contradicts the above. Although I don't think students wait to the last day of school/college to apply for a job.

I remember myself as a student not having a job sorted at the end of term and having to continue to job hunt in the early part of the summer. No reason why they couldn't take the jobs going there and resign in a few months time if it suits them to do so.

Either way it's a great news story for Longford, which is the important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It'll be interesting to see how their pricing model works out in the Irish domestic market. Will they achieve the required levels of occupancy? If they do at the sort of prices bandied about, it'll be a sure sign there's plenty of money in the Irish middle class economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

BarryD2 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how their pricing model works out in the Irish domestic market. Will they achieve the required levels of occupancy? If they do at the sort of prices bandied about, it'll be a sure sign there's plenty of money in the Irish middle class economy.

I’d say the initial prices are at the high end of what they can sustain. The high seasons will always be expensive but I’d say it will be a bit lower than what we see now. It doesn’t have a domestic competitor so won’t have too much price comparison. There is plenty of money in the market they just need to be seen as a good alternative for their market. I would think in low season it will get a lot of 3/4 night breaks from families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Either way it's a great news story for Longford, which is the important thing.

Exactly. This is an area that needs jobs. However the RTE reporter on Morning Ireland wanted to concentrate on the minimum wage angle. Isn't it a start for many people who would otherwise have to leave the area?

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d say the initial prices are at the high end of what they can sustain. The high seasons will always be expensive but I’d say it will be a bit lower than what we see now. It doesn’t have a domestic competitor so won’t have too much price comparison. There is plenty of money in the market they just need to be seen as a good alternative for their market. I would think in low season it will get a lot of 3/4 night breaks from families.

I think it's likely that as things stand currently, it'd be seen as an extra midweek/ weekend break rather than the main family holiday. The choice between a damp summer in the flat Irish midlands (regardless of facilities) and a week or two in the sun would tend to go strongly towards the latter. What might change that in the future is higher carbon taxes and hefty air fares/ increasing environmental consciousness etc. But that's a bit down the road yet.

I know the site and I've wondered about it, not a 'sexy' part of the country.

I think it's likely that as things stand currently, it'd be seen as an extra midweek/ weekend break rather than the main family holiday. The choice between a damp summer in the flat Irish midlands (regardless of facilities) and a week or two in the sun would tend to go strongly towards the latter. What might change that in the future is higher carbon taxes and hefty air fares/ increasing environmental consciousness etc. But that's a bit down the road yet.

I know the site and I've wondered about it, not a 'sexy' part of the country.

I think the not sexy part of the country is part of the reason they picked it. If it was near the ring of Kerry people would be out all day spending money elsewhere. I’d say your right about the short break thing, I’d certainly prefer a couple of weeks in the sun but I do see the attraction of a two hour drive and your there.

I think the not sexy part of the country is part of the reason they picked it.

You could be right and I presume they know what they're doing and have the resources to underwrite losses for a bedding in period. But at end of the day - location, location, location is important in the holiday market as much as the property. It's the difference between the two marketing campaigns: 'Wild Atlantic Way' and 'Ireland's Ancient East'. I wouldn't be wildly surprised though if it goes belly up after a few years, particularly if there's a downturn in the economy. Hopefully not...

You could be right and I presume they know what they're doing and have the resources to underwrite losses for a bedding in period. But at end of the day - location, location, location is important in the holiday market as much as the property. It's the difference between the two marketing campaigns: 'Wild Atlantic Way' and 'Ireland's Ancient East'. I wouldn't be wildly surprised though if it goes belly up after a few years, particularly if there's a downturn in the economy. Hopefully not...

It won’t go belly up, it might get a lot cheaper alright if the economy goes down the spout. They have other sites that have gone through recession without closing.

I'm sure the CP site will also be chasing the British angling market, which traditionally has sent steady numbers across for coarse and game fishing in the Irish midlands. So family holiday for family and time/ space for Dad or whoever to get the rod out on the Inny. Popular enough spot for angling over the years.

It won’t go belly up, it might get a lot cheaper alright if the economy goes down the spout. They have other sites that have gone through recession without closing.

Do you know any figures? Must have been a very substantial investment to develop the facilities there, been at it for over two years now I think. Last time I saw it, it was a major construction site. On other side of equation, what has Irish taxpayer put into it I wonder?

Do you know any figures? Must have been a very substantial investment to develop the facilities there, been at it for over two years now I think. Last time I saw it, it was a major construction site. On other side of equation, what has Irish taxpayer put into it I wonder?

I’ve no figures, they have done these things a few times and I’d be very surprised if they got their figures wrong, they know how to price, how to pay and how much to invest.
    Haven’t heard anything about subsidies from the state but I do think they bought the land off the state (not sure on that) I’d imagine if they got it off coilte they got a good deal as the area needed a big boost as as has been said it’s not near too much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I was informed at the weekend that I'm going here in September.
    To break that down, I'm travelling from my house in the UK, to go to Longford for a weekend in September.

Oh how I struggle to contain my excitement sometimes!

• Advertisement

I’ve no figures, they have done these things a few times and I’d be very surprised if they got their figures wrong, they know how to price, how to pay and how much to invest.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Quite a new idea for the Irish market, only vaguely comparable site I can think of is Trabolgan, which was a bit run down a decade ago and cheaper. Anyone who has stayed there will know of the regular promotional material to fill off season dates. If it does succeed and hopefully it will, there will be others queuing up to replicate. 'Cos that's what happens in the Irish tourist market :)

Advertisement