Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First PC Build [~€250]

Options
  • 01-04-2015 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭

Heyo!

So I've been lurking in this forum for a while, and finally decided it's time to attempt a build of my own. Have never built a PC before, so be gentle if my slew of questions are pitifully basic.

1. What is your budget? Around €250. No set limit really, but I would like to keep it as cheap as possible while still being functional.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Internetz, YouTubez, etc. Maybe the odd Office application or email, or some basic flash games. Some very occasional programming when I need a Linux environment, but this isn't a major concern, more a "Would be nice." type thing.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No. This is going to be a Linux machine.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Could possibly rob a CD Drive, but other than that, no.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Varies. Max would be 1920x1080. No.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Yes, but not including them in the build price. :)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes, but I highly doubt it's necessary for what I'm hoping to get out of this machine.

8. How can you pay? Credit/Debit Card, Bank Transfer.

9. When are you purchasing? No set date really, probably once I'm satisfied this thread has run its course and I've got all the info I need/want from it, so probably in the next week or so.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Limerick

I'd like to try keep the machine as quiet as possible, so if spending a bit more on parts will help that, I'd be willing to consider it.

So, here's a build I did myself based mostly on price and some limited research:

(Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to get that script working. :o)

Case: Inter-Tech JY-180 - €20.06
    Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33, mATX, Sockel 1150 - €44.09
    CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 box, LGA 1150 - €54.90
    CPU Cooler: XILENCE CPU-Kühler I140, 92mm Lüfter, BULK - €3.99
    RAM: 4GB Crucial DDR3 1600 MT/s CL11 PC3-12800 single ranked - €29.52
    SSD: ADATA Premier Pro Series SP600 64GB, SATA 6GB/s, 6,4cm (2,5") - €44.99
    PSU: be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 300W - €34.97
    Total: €232.52 + shipping = ~€240

Couple of things:
    • I made an assumption that the Motherboard or CPU or whatever has integrated graphics. Did I screw up here?
    • I checked the power requirements using this and it says 177W, so I went with the 300W PSU.
    • Should I get other fans? The case says it can take a 92mm at the back, should I go for that?
    • Is that CPU cooler any good or do you really get what you pay for?
    • Do I need to buy anything else for this build? Seriously, I'm pretty clueless here, do I need to buy wires or connectors or other... stuff, or does it all come when you buy the parts?
    • Any glaring oversights/incompatibility on my part?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Zalman T2 Plus might be a better case, same price.

That cooler doesn't fit the CPU you want. You need a cooler with LGA 1150.

The motherboard has integrated graphics but doesn't have HDMI so hopefully that isn't a concern.

The CPU doesn't overclock well, a G3258 would be better for €15 if you need the extra power. If you aren't willing to over clock then the G3220 should be fine, and you won't need another cooler either.

If 64gb is enough then that's pretty much it, have you used Geizhals?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Zalman T2 Plus might be a better case, same price.

I actually prefer the look of the Inter-Tech, but yeah, the Zalman does seem like a better case, so I'll definitely keep that in mind when ordering. :)
    That cooler doesn't fit the CPU you want. You need a cooler with LGA 1150.

That was actually one thing I was concerned about when I was putting together the build. But I read here and on another website that I can't find right now that since that cooler supports lga1155, it should fit lga1150.
    The motherboard has integrated graphics but doesn't have HDMI so hopefully that isn't a concern.

Oh, now that's a good catch. May have to reconsider the motherboard then. Would prefer to get HDMI if possible. I can work with VGA if needs be, but it'd be a bit annoying having to have the speakers connected to the PC instead of the monitor like I have it atm.
    The CPU doesn't overclock well, a G3258 would be better for €15 if you need the extra power. If you aren't willing to over clock then the G3220 should be fine, and you won't need another cooler either.

I definitely think I won't need to OC it. It really is more or less a Facebook machine and a bit of YouTube.
    If 64gb is enough then that's pretty much it, have you used Geizhals?

Definitely enough. My Linux partition on my laptop at the moment is 15GB and I've never had an issue. The OS I'm looking at is really tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Raspberry Pie?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Something cool like Bodhi Linux yeah? I didn't know that about the LGA 1155 coolers. You won't need one anyways. A DVI-HDMI adaptor would do the job for you, it carries sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definitely no need for the G3258, for those uses and far more besides there is no difference between the G3220 and a processor costing 10 times as much.

Cheap cases often don't come with any case fans, one to look out for, which can make some of the cheaper cases appear less value for money than they are compared to those for a few quid more.

For such a minimalist build, you should consider looking at a Mitx case. Like this for example. Nice compromise in that it's not too small and is still quite upgradable, and uses a standard PSU.

Or else use one with an SFX PSU, like this.

There's loads of choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement