Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let go suddenly

Options
  • 01-04-2015 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

How common is it to be laid off after 11 months when hired as a permanent full time employee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How common is it to be laid off after 11 months when hired as a permanent full time employee?

I wouldn't say its very common but it happens, they don't even need to furnish a real solid reason, its enough to say "this isn't working for us".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Not uncommon. I know a girl who was let go recently 4 or 5 days short of the year. She had done her back in, and they were all very supportive, and then said she'd be back and they said the job was gone. It's sh'tty, but they are within their rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

It depends on the last 11 months.....
    • Working hard for a reasonable company = rare
    • Working hard for a dodgy company = common
    • Working poorly for a reasonable company = common
    • Working poorly for a dodgy company = very frequent

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not uncommon. I know a girl who was let go recently 4 or 5 days short of the year. She had done her back in, and they were all very supportive, and then said she'd be back and they said the job was gone. It's sh'tty, but they are within their rights.

Can I ask what sort of company was this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sometimes the project is a hobby horse of some corporate sponser. She falls from grace and all associated works are deemed now to be on shaky foundations along with new hires linked to being too close to the purged boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If a company's gonna do it they usually let folk go just shy of 11 months as it's still easy to do it. Seen it happen a few times but it was never a surprise (to everybody else).

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

If a company / place keep you after a year, they more or less have to keep you permanently but most are clever enough just to keep you for the 11 months and let you go without a explanation, I've seen it happen to people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 otoolepw

Happened to me some years back. I got sacked 11 months in from a perm role in a Dublin university. Had two great reviews, then they wrote up a crappy 3rd one and gave me the bullet. Needed to pass the 3rd one to be confirmed in the post. I actually performed better in my last few months there as I was really getting into the job. My confidence was shot for almost a year before finding work again. Horrible experience but they were perfectly within their rights and I hadn't a leg to stand on despite my protestations in a long letter to HR defending my performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

road_high wrote: »
    Can I ask what sort of company was this?

One of the big law firms in Dublin!

Advertisement