Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Accidentally knocked over a scooter over

• 01-04-2015 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Was going to the shops in the car last night and there was a scooter parked behind me outside my house, I didn't see it and reversed into the back of it. It was only a tap but it was enough to fold up the stand and cause the bike to drop. There's no space for a car there (vehicles are parallel parked) so it's easy not to look properly in the dark and assume it's clear, still felt like an eijit though.

I picked it up and it had a couple of scratches, nothing too bad. I left a note with my phone number because I'm a biker too and also I'm not an asshole.

He just text me with a quote for €310. I guess he's going to get the panels replaced rather than just concealing it.

I'm a bit miffed because it's a resident's-only parking area, he was parking overnight and he's not a resident. He's parked there a few times before and I'm not one to kick up a stink over this sort of thing but given that he was parking directly outside my house when he shouldn't be, I thought he'd appreciate me not being an ass about it and just get it concealed. The scratches aren't that bad.

More of a rant than anything and I realise that if I was more observant then it wouldn't have happened. One question though, is it worth asking if he would consider getting another quote or doing a conceal. Or should I just shut up, pay up and learn my lesson?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

It's your fault. If you don't wait to pay he can claim off your insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Was going to the shops in the car last night and there was a scooter parked behind me outside my house, I didn't see it and reversed into the back of it. It was only a tap but it was enough to fold up the stand and cause the bike to drop. There's no space for a car there (vehicles are parallel parked) so it's easy not to look properly in the dark and assume it's clear, still felt like an eijit though.

I picked it up and it had a couple of scratches, nothing too bad. I left a note with my phone number because I'm a biker too and also I'm not an asshole.

He just text me with a quote for €310. I guess he's going to get the panels replaced rather than just concealing it.

I'm a bit miffed because it's a resident's-only parking area, he was parking overnight and he's not a resident. He's parked there a few times before and I'm not one to kick up a stink over this sort of thing but given that he was parking directly outside my house when he shouldn't be, I thought he'd appreciate me not being an ass about it just get it concealed. The scratches aren't that bad.

More of a rant than anything and I realise that if I was more observant then it wouldn't have happened. One question though, is it worth asking if he would consider getting another quote or doing a conceal. Or should I just shut up, pay up and learn my lesson?

If he wasnt allowed park there tell him to **** off,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

He has your name and number and a note from you admitting liability. You dont really have a choice but pay up. Regardless of where it was parked, legally or not, you did the damage and will have to pay for it. You say you are also a biker, if it was your bike how would you want it repaired? I know I'd be getting a proper job done on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If its a new or well kept scooter then fair enough with that quote. If it's a shítbox with scratches all over it then he's being a prick. But you were the one at fault, so he has you here.

It doesn't matter, if you reverse into anything parked, you're at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Even a repair would cost at least 300 surely. Sorry to hear but at least it isn't worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Rocketthorpe

Tell him you are willing to cover the cost of his scooter but you will get the damage priced yourself, or else price a new panel for the scooter. That way you know he's not taking the piss with the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

'They weren't supposed to be there' is never an excuse to drive into someone or their vehicle, even more so when it's not fecking moving.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

You can ask to have a quote yourself. If he refuses just let it go through the insurance! He he refuses the insurance route tell him to piss off

There are a lot of clauses in an insurance policy. Explain to your insurers that the bike was in a private car park and was not listed as being allowed to park there. you never know what might happen, they will try anything not to pay and in this case it will be in your favor if they try to avoid the payout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If he didn't have a right to park there, it's a matter for the council (public place) or landlord/management company (private property) to deal with. You can't just say "Naa naa you shouldn't have been there, tough" it's still the OP's responsibility not to collide with his vehicle.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

As above I'd get an independent quote yourself to verify the figures but doesn't sound too bad to me. There's a lot of plastic on most of those scooters. FYI I had a very similar thing happen my bike and repairs cost over €700. As for the bike not being allowed there - irrelevant, if someone knocked you off while in the bus lane, I still think you'd be looking to claim from them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

He decided to park in the same spot again tonight, so took a few photos.

It's dark so photos aren't great but I've attached them here, the scratches don't look great with the flash but there's no depth to them, you can barely feel them with your fingers. The left break lever is also a bit scraped but I didn't get a picture of that.

What's the consensus? Is €310 fair enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Bad luck op but that really doesn't sound too bad
    Hit something that's parked (no matter where) and you have liability, the injured party also has the right to choose who repairs though, they may not know much about repairs etc and could be looking at a first quote, talk and offer an alternative and they may go along, it's their choice in the end.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Scooter looks in good nick. He is entitled to get it back to the way it was, and I think that price is ok tbh. Cosmetic repairs to bikes aren't cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Pretty big panel to be replacing so could easily be that much. Fairly lucky there is no damage to the exhaust etc. Can. You ask him to see the quote he got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Pretty big panel to be replacing so could easily be that much. Fairly lucky there is no damage to the exhaust etc. Can. You ask him to see the quote he got?

Agreed, when someone reversed into my sv and knocked it over (parked in the middle of a normal car parking space at work but that's another story) a clutch lever and two smaller panels cost that.

I would definitely ask to see the itemised quote and maybe follow up with a call.

If I had let my own bike fall over and put those scratches on it I'd leave or paint them maybe, but unfortunately for the op, the biker has a choice to repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Its amazing the replies here...if it was the biker who was posting that someone had knocked over his bike you'd all be up in arms.."screw the bas"ard, make him pay €0000"...."fukcin cager"......:rolleyes:

You did wrong ,pay up mate...could have been a child/wino/Merc....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Ask to see the quote, tell him you'll get a quote yourself.
    Is the bike parked blocking you? or limit your exit? any pictures or diagrams of the space layout?
    If he isnt resident, pay up to what you agree on, tell him not to park there (the space and car park) again either.

310 for 3 panels properly painted is alright. I doubt it includes new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If he parks there again I'd be fcuking him out of it. Tell him to find a proper parking space or park out on the road.

You might have reversed into him but he's acting the bollocks if he leaves it in the same place..especially if he's only visiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

.."screw the bas"ard, make him pay €0000"...."fukcin cager"......:rolleyes:

Why would you be making him pay nothing?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Its amazing the replies here...if it was the biker who was posting that someone had knocked over his bike you'd all be up in arms.."screw the bas"ard, make him pay €0000"...."fukcin cager"......:rolleyes:

You did wrong ,pay up mate...could have been a child/wino/Merc....

If it was biker.ie yes, but not here. I cringe when I hear the word "cager"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Squatman wrote: »
    Why would you be making him pay nothing?????

Awful attempt at being funny or are you actually simple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

surpy wrote:
    It's your fault. If you don't wait to pay he can claim off your insurance.

The insurance claim will have an excess in any case plus either the premium will go up or any future claims will cause it to go up when you could do with keeping it intact.

At this cost it's not worth going through insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Don't think it's been said but fair play for leaving your details OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Don't think it's been said but fair play for leaving your details OP.

Yup, a lot of people would just shrug their shoulders and drive off, sure its "just a scooter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Id pay up then Id follow up with the parking authority and have him forced to park in a proper space or not at all.

The insurance claim will have an excess in any case plus either the premium will go up or any future claims will cause it to go up when you could do with keeping it intact.

At this cost it's not worth going through insurance
    That was my point ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Pay him his €310. Check eBay for second hand clamp. If he parks in your drive again clamp him. €310 release fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Im always amazed why some bikers park their bikes like this where cars parallel park. It's asking for trouble!

Fair play for leaving your details though and I would just pay up the €310. Lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ask for a receipt with quote as proof?

Advertisement