Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Accidentally knocked over a scooter over

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I text him back and told him that it's residents only parking and also it's just not the smartest place to park (no response from him). Told him I'll sort it out with repair shop tomorrow. It's Ross motorcycles in Cork, so I'll call down and tell them my sob story in the hopes that they might feel sympathy and knock 10% off the price or something. :-)

Thanks for the comments. Lesson learnt and it was good to get my rant out. Hopefully he won't park down here again, although I somewhat sympathise that it's hard to find safe parking around the area. Bit silly the way he parked though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fair play to your honesty, and now I'll be honest.. I'd have picked it up and fecked off.

But you put the rope around your own neck, you gotta pay for the damage now ~ and €310 looks reasonable enough, however its NOT a new bike so I'd offer him half that and look at meeting him around the €200 mark after which it would be an insurance payout ~ at €310 your company won't contest the cost and it won't load you either.

Fair play to your honesty, and now I'll be honest.. I'd have picked it up and fecked off.

But you put the rope around your own neck, you gotta pay for the damage now ~ and €310 looks reasonable enough, however its NOT a new bike so I'd offer him half that and look at meeting him around the €200 mark after which it would be an insurance payout ~ at €310 your company won't contest the cost and it won't load you either.
    Bike is new enough (a 132) to be fair.

Also my car insurance excess is €300 so that would mean that I would only save €10 by putting it against insurance, correct? I've only been driving the car a year (8 years on the bike) so I'm not too worried about my no-claims bonus but the excess doesn't make a claim worthwhile.

Ok, so he didn't bother replying to my text saying he shouldn't park there and decided to park in the same spot again tonight. Starting to regret leaving a note now, he's acting a right knob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Ok, so he didn't bother replying to my text saying he shouldn't park there and decided to park in the same spot again tonight. Starting to regret leaving a note now, he's acting a right knob.

in about three weeks you'll probably feel like killing him; probably shouldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Report it and have his bike clamped :D

Just checked my texts again and he did actually text me back this morning saying that he's sorry about the situation and that he saved up for the bike for 8 months and tries to keep it in good condition.

Fair enough I suppose. He didn't reply to the fact that he shouldn't be parked down there though.

You'll know what to do next time!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

A lot of high horses in this place....:rolleyes:

Just pay for the damage you caused and get over it.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Fair play OP, YOU did leave your details and you're sorting it l. A LOT of people wouldn't. Keep that in mind and put it behind you.

Might be a big bullet to swallow even if you think he's being a nob but you're doing the right thing and at the end of the day that's all that counts.

however its NOT a new bike so I'd offer him half that and look at meeting him around the €200 mark after which it would be an insurance payout ~ at €310 your company won't contest the cost and it won't load you either.

Would you be happy with that if somebody crashed into your parked bike?

Hope youre joking....it is after all someones property he damaged...doesnt matter how old, where it was parked its still his fault....

If you came back to your damaged bike would you just say..Ho hum..at least he picked the bike back up.....:rolleyes:

Moderators inciting criminal damage....what next...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You're calling him a knob, are you for fooking real? He didn't collide with you. Get a grip.

Just because you are at fault in a particular incident doesn't make the other person not be a knob. The OP left his details and is happy to pay up. The knobness isn't reagrading the incident it comes from where the other person is parking wrongly and continuing to do so.

OP make sure you get receipt for work done and confirmation that they are happy with work. I heard of an incident where in a tip similar to your own cash was paid but then the other person also tried to claim on insurance. Think was sorted ok in end and they didn't get the extra money but involved bit of hassle, just something to watch out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Phone the parking Authority and report an illegally parked vehicle and pay for the damage you caused his bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

A lot of high horses in this place....:rolleyes:

Just pay for the damage you caused and get over it.....

Legally, the OP is probably wrong and needs to pay up. But if a biker parks behind a car knowing full well there's a chance that the car might reverse into him then he's just being a pr1ck and needs a good kick up the hole.

Fair play to the OP for leaving your details. If he continues to park there make sure you make complete sh1t of it next time you reverse over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

emeldc wrote: »
    Legally, the OP is probably wrong and needs to pay up. But if a biker parks behind a car knowing full well there's a chance that the car might reverse into him then he's just being a pr1ck and needs a good kick up the hole.

Fair play to the OP for leaving your details. If he continues to park there make sure you make complete sh1t of it next time you reverse over it.

Exactly, I wouldnt be paying in the first place if he was blocking my van in and wasnt meant to be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Id pay up then Id follow up with the parking authority and have him forced to park in a proper space or not at all.
    emeldc wrote: »

I think it really depends on how the bike is parked and the space involved, if its a tight squeeze for legitimately parked cars and then he parks his bike up against an opposite wall, then he's asking for trouble and really deserves what he gets and is at least part responsible, that said I thinks its fair the OP paid for the damage as he could have squeezed out and dealt with the parking issue or left a note on the bike if it was making things difficult to get in/out.
    If it was impossible to get it in/out, Id be royally pissed and would be fairly mad, so thats a different story.
    If he isnt even meant to be parking there, but parked, night after night, it seems he's practically a resident and just doesnt have a legitimate parking spot. In that instance he shares the blame and Id be looking to offer him half what he suggested, so long as he doesnt hinder your access or park there anymore.

That said, If the spot isnt a proper parking space and he continues to park there after having it hit and being so concerned about saving up, then Id probably offer him nothing if the OP hasnt paid out yet, suggest to him park on the road or elsewhere in the carpark that doesnt block people or increase his risk of getting hit, tell him if he parks near you again which increases your risk, either tell him you'll have to report him or say nothing and just report him anyway, as he's already had a chance to move the bike.

Parking in the same spot after it being hit is just retarded and doesnt make it seem like he's that concerned, is it a target for theft? the scooter type? I presume its parked in view from a window, but thats not your problem OP.

I wouldnt recommend should you go through your insurance.
    Id be looking to reduce that figure you were given OP, he's part to blame himself for parking it where he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Exactly, I wouldnt be paying in the first place if he was blocking my van in and wasnt meant to be there

Nice attitude.
    Whether he was meant to be there or not is not your concern - it's for the council or management company to deal with.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Nice attitude.
    Whether he was meant to be there or not is not your concern - it's for the council or management company to deal with.

You can just see the management co and the local council going to great lengths and expense to deal with this, cant you? FFS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You hit him, you left a note, so pay up. If someone hit my bike I'd want them to pay up ... similarly if I hit a bike I'd pay up.

New panels or professionally resprayed ones aint cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, you would and probably loose the NCB to go with the attitude.

Apart from that this guy sounds like a right eegit, if something like that happened to my bike the last place I'd be leaving it would be anywhere near the gob****e who reversed into it (no offence OP).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bladespin wrote: »
    Apart from that this guy sounds like a right eegit, if something like that happened to my bike the last place I'd be leaving it would be anywhere near the gob****e who reversed into it (no offence OP).
    Yeah, the guy sounds a bit simple alright. In the last place I worked there was a place for parking bikes around near the entrance for postal deliveries. Came out one day and noticed my wing mirror had been moved. Went to drive the bike and the steering felt a bit off. I realised the handlebars were bent. Some cvnt had reversed his van into my bike, picked the bike up and drove off. €150 repair.

But I wasn't stupid enough to park in that spot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Pay up, it's a lesson you won't forget and could possibly save you making a more expensive mistake some day.

For him he get's his damage repaired, which is only right and if he's dumb enough to keep parking where he shouldn't then eventually his scooter could have worse damage done to it by someone less considerate than yourself.

Have faith in karma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

€310 is getting away lightly. Lady reversed into my bike years ago, and it fell hard on the ground. I think the repair bill ended up being about €1800. Hire car in this case so, no claims didn't come into the equation. No idea where the original quote is of now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

€310 is getting away lightly. Lady reversed into my bike years ago, and it fell hard on the ground. I think the repair bill ended up being about €1800. Hire car in this case so, no claims didn't come into the equation. No idea where the original quote is of now.
    The guy who knocked my bike over a couple of years back got a bill for 2500 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

You damaged the guy's scooter and did the honest thing by leaving a note. Fair play to you - wish everyone was as honest. €310 is hard to swallow but as long as it is a genuine quote (ask to see it and make sure it is accurate). Then you just have to bite the bullet. At least you know you did the right thing.
    It's lucky it was just a scooter. Touch most people's cars and you are probably looking at three times that cost.

Alright, sorted now. Rang Ross Motorcycles and paid them directly, guy on the phone there was fairly sound and rounded it down to €300, I'd say the quote was pretty fair in the first place.

I've asked the guy not to park down here again as parking is for resident's only. Hopefully, he's not going to wind me up anymore and he'll find a new parking spot for himself.

edit: I've added a picture of the scratches during the day in case anybody is interested. A couple of the reflections look like scratches but they're not.

Hope youre joking....it is after all someones property he damaged...doesnt matter how old, where it was parked its still his fault....

If you came back to your damaged bike would you just say..Ho hum..at least he picked the bike back up.....:rolleyes:

Moderators inciting criminal damage....what next...:P

Straight up, its happened to me lots of times, sure its a royal pain in the arse but what can ya do.

Would I knock a bike over and volunteer my details?, I wouldn't my ring but I'm a bit more careful than the OP obviously.

Btw, I'm not a moderator here and I'm not advocating criminal damage ffs ~ and you moaning about high horse's lol

• Advertisement

Seems to be a lot of sh1te about the scooter being illegally /badly parked...the onus is on the driver to A ..be careful..or B.. get the owner to move the bike...
    If its in a private parking bay then no-one is responsible except the person who damages the others property...
    The op came on here looking for advise, or maybe a way to get out of paying...bad form imo....pay the fcuk up and stop whinging and calling him a knob....

Advertisement