Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Accidentally knocked over a scooter over

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Would I knock a bike over and volunteer my details?, I wouldn't my ring but I'm a bit more careful than the OP obviously.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. When a bike is parallel parked directly in against the wall behind you and it's dark and the bike is black then it's not so easy to see unless you're coming from the other direction and walk past it first. Where I was parked you would naturally look over your right shoulder (not left) when you're reversing and you can't see anything in your left wing mirror as I'm parked in against the wall at an angle.

Also there's no space for a car so it's easy to assume that it's clear.

Not saying that I couldn't have avoided it but I'd say most people would have made the same mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

daveyjoe wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. When a bike is parallel parked directly in against the wall behind you and it's dark and the bike is black then it's not so easy to see unless you're coming from the other direction and walk past it first. Where I was parked you would naturally look over your right shoulder (not left) when you're reversing and you can't see anything in your left wing mirror as I'm parked in against the wall at an angle.

Also there's no space for a car so it's easy to assume that it's clear.

Not saying that I couldn't have avoided it but I'd say most people would have made the same mistake.

I was more or less with you till this, Id have been going on the basis that the bike was limiting your egress/access.
    I was thinking to little room to park the bike and allow someone out, if thats where the bike was parked, then it doesnt seem like a space for parking and if it limits your room for maneuvering Id be following this tack if I was you.
    Youre saying you didnt look/see it because its not normally where you'd look, you surely would have seen it before getting into the car? even in the car, you cant discount something just appearing before you move off (like a child on something you wouldnt see them at from the mirrors or maybe even looking around) and people need to pay attention to their surroundings when moving off, particularily reversing, luckily this isnt the case.
    I think I wouldnt follow this line of explanation if I was you, but the other person to me still bears some responsibility if they a) have no permission to park there officially, park there regularily or not, but only on permission of whomever they visit as thats not official b) have still parked there after the incident c) it blocks or limits your access in any way.
    Id still be looking to limit the cost to 50% of what they suggest, and then upon agreement Id raise the issue of non permitted parking vehicles with them or the person they visit as it will be to the detriment of all if every guest cannot park, including any of yours if it needs to be dealt with officially, that said, if its a persistent and serious problem with this person or others, then it may need to be sorted officially.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

If I owned that scoot I'd put the money in my pocket and leave as is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

nc19 wrote: »

pretty much, there isnt much damage, tha said if I was the owner, I wouldnt be inclined to think that especially if it was perfect, but the owner bears some responsibility as he doesnt have permission to park there, it isnt a actual space and continued to park there after it got knocked.
    Id offer half and that it isnt parked near the OP or blocking anyone else, if they are unresponsive or decline, ID follow it up officially to make sure they dont park there again, but Id try discuss that with the person they visit and them stating that such a follow up will affect everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Shudda gone to specsavers.... ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Me too, but you'd lose that when you sell it on if everything else is clean on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Wouldn't OP own the old panels now though? Same as if insurance paid out for a new bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

pillphil wrote: »
    Wouldn't OP own the old panels now though? Same as if insurance paid out for a new bike?

Depends on whether it was the cost of repair or replacement.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Me too, but you'd lose that when you sell it on if everything else is clean on it.

It's a keeway, surely resale value is close to nil anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely pocket the money and polish the scrapes. I did the same after someone hit my bike, got about €2k for the damage though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm a bit miffed because it's a resident's-only parking area, he was parking overnight and he's not a resident.
    How do you know he's not a resident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

the_syco wrote: »
    How do you know he's not a resident?

Because the scooter owner doesn't live there maybe?. I'd know the comings and goings of my neighboures and their guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

How anybody would choose to ride a scooter is beyond me, OP you did good in throwing it to the floor, but leaving your details?:eek::eek::eek:

How anybody would choose to ride a scooter is beyond me, OP you did good in throwing it to the floor, but leaving your details?:eek::eek::eek:

That seems like a sh1tty attitude to me. Wouldn't be seen dead on a scooter myself but some people don't have much money and still have to get around. In terms of price, maintenance, petrol, city parking etc.. they're as cheap as it gets and that's what some people want.

Hope that if somebody damaged your bike then they wouldn't decide whether or not to take responsibility based on whether they liked your bike or not.

Live and let live, this particular guy was a bit of an asshole but I'm sure not all scoots are like that.

Have you ever tried one?

If not then you're really missing out on an experience, thb just like so many say a cager should try a bike before they getin a car any rider worth his/her salt really should ride a scoot (lower cc the better) before they ride anything bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Driven loads, the worst has to be a vespa though

Driven loads, the worst has to be a vespa though

Some fun grinding the boards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I picked it up and it had a couple of scratches, nothing too bad. I left a note with my phone number because I'm a biker too and also I'm not an asshole.

More of a rant than anything... One question though, is it worth asking if he would consider getting another quote or doing a conceal. Or should I just shut up, pay up and learn my lesson?
    What's the consensus? Is €310 fair enough?
    You did wrong ,pay up mate...could have been a child/wino/Merc....
    A lot of high horses in this place....:rolleyes:

Just pay for the damage you caused and get over it.....
    The op came on here looking for advise, or maybe a way to get out of paying...bad form imo....pay the fcuk up and stop whinging and calling him a knob....

I think it's very clear that the OP is looking for advice on what's fair and not to get out get out of paying. He was decent enough to leave a note with his details and he never once suggested that he shouldn't pay or that he wasn't responsible.

The bad form is aggressively telling him to he did wrong and to pay the fuck up. He had already accepted this much and now based on some replies here I think he accepts that the quote is fair.

I think it's very clear that the OP is looking for advice on what's fair and not to get out get out of paying. He was decent enough to leave a note with his details and he never once suggested that he shouldn't pay or that he wasn't responsible.

The bad form is aggressively telling him to he did wrong and to pay the fuck up. He had already accepted this much and now based on some replies here I think he accepts that the quote is fair.

Cheers Topper. Yeah, this was sorted on Friday (see here), I paid out €300 directly to the garage because the guy on the scooter was a bit of an ass and I didn't really trust him to be honest; feels a bit better knowing that the money is going to the garage and not directly into his pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

bladespin wrote: »
    Have you ever tried one?

If not then you're really missing out on an experience, thb just like so many say a cager should try a bike before they getin a car any rider worth his/her salt really should ride a scoot (lower cc the better) before they ride anything bigger.

Pre-kids we did the following two-up

Hired a 50cc 2T Peugeot in Kos - it was fun and not as slow as I expected
    Hired a 100cc 2T Yamaha in Lanzarote - engine appeared half knackered, the 50 had more go. It's a hilly and wind-y island so going north up the main road across the hills into the prevailing wind was less than fun. Even in a hire car you notice the gradients and winds there.
    Hired a 400cc 4T no-name Chinese yoke in Crete - great fun.

Still I prefer the bigger wheels and engine braking on a 'proper' motorbike - you feel more planted on the road. Although the storage especially on the larger scoots is better.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

My bandit was knocked over 2 weeks after getting her. First shiney bike I had...she was badly beat up, bent handle bars, dent in the tank, fairings cracked. €700 repair. Underground car park too, well lit. I did what I could to track down whoever it was but the cameras in the garage were for show :mad: If I found the car that did it, I probably would of just caused some damage on that to teach them a lesson...might of being a bit more expensive than 700 too.

fair play for leaving the note OP..karma will get ya back! ;)

Advertisement