Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what does everyone do in the evening time

• 01-04-2015 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Im a male in my early 30ties, im home from work in the evening ~6, none of family are living locally and Im pretty new in town. I often find the evenings long as I struggle to find things to do, can't remember the last time I did something with others TBH. I swim and go the gym a bit and recently have started playing tag rugby one evening in the week so I don't just sit and surf the net.

Im new in town as well and struggling to establish a social circle and was always kinda shy which doesn't help

for those of you that are single, what leisure activities do you pursue in the evening time ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Most of my spare time in the evenings I'm either reading books, I'm a big medieval history fanatic and its a good subject to have an interest in as there are so many branches of the subject to investigate and further your reading. I also use the internet mostly for this addiction too.
    Apart from that I would be constantly listening to music and drawing. Only time I watch any television is if a soccer or hurling match is on, or a documentary that would interest me might be on. I'm pretty much an introverted type of person so these solitary pastimes suit me grand. I'm lucky to have a few really good freinds that live near me too but they are into sports and the gym in the evenings which I would not enjoy dong at all, but I'll head out with them from time to time for an evening of drinking when we can all get together.

You'll be grand with the new place your in aidanki! Doing the tag-rugby is already a great way to meet people and build freindships in your new town. Fair play

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Is it a large urban-area or a one horse town? I'm in a hole of a town that has been decimated of people since the recession but I'm close to two large-enough towns which offer more varied interests.

Mostly it boils down to what you like to do and what you'd like to try. Are you looking for something to fill the void of maybe not having enough companionship or are you seeking to 'enrich' yourself by acquiring new hobbies and pastimes? or both? Advising you to go buy some chisels and start crafting wood is no use to you if what you really seek is more human contact...unless you join a class.
    Volunteering would be a good way to kill a few birds with one stone and you'd reap more than you sow in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

Is it a large urban-area or a one horse town? I'm in a hole of a town that has been decimated of people since the recession but I'm close to two large-enough towns which offer more varied interests.

Mostly it boils down to what you like to do and what you'd like to try. Are you looking for something to fill the void of maybe not having enough companionship or are you seeking to 'enrich' yourself by acquiring new hobbies and pastimes? or both? Advising you to go buy some chisels and start crafting wood is no use to you if what you really seek is more human contact...unless you join a class.
    Volunteering would be a good way to kill a few birds with one stone and you'd reap more than you sow in doing so.

human contact and build relationships is what i would like, however more activities is good too

Im in Limerick city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

aidanki wrote: »
    human contact and build relationships is what i would like, however more activities is good too

Im in Limerick city

You poor thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Depends on your interests so. Theres enough to do in limerick if your bored to get by in the week for sure bro.

Into soccer? Head to UL they have a league called night owls games are exclusively evenings never sat or sun morning.

Into darts? Several pubs in city have boards like the still house which also is good craic(tho wedged tight) for soccer matches.

Into poetry? Head to the white house bar on O'Connell street they have poetry and open mic nights.

Into an odd flutter? Head to the greyhound track ( I'm not actively encouraging you to take up gambling) they have racemeets 3 evenings a week with a nice bar and restaurant.

Into poker? Timeout card club on parnell street run tournaments most nights.

Into music? Dolans/cobblestone joes/smyths/nancys and old quarter all regularly have live music. Paul Brady plays dolans on the 10th for example.

All these places you will find people to strike up a conversation with easy enough. Well except maybe the dog track if a fella is losing his stones backing puppies :)

Im sure theres a million ways to pass time around here if you need any help shoot me a pm I know how hard it is living away from your mates in a strange place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement