Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cctv monitoring at work

Options
  • 02-04-2015 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi guys,

just in the last 48hrs our company has installed cctv in our security hut. Without telling us.

It's very uncomfortable because the room is actually small. It sees everything. There's a lot of cctv around the hut. I just feel the job is more intrested in watching staff. Have we anything to go on with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Did you not notice that there's cctv in every nook & cranny around where you work & play? If your not doing anything wrong, you don't have to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi guys,

just in the last 48hrs our company has installed cctv in our security hut. Without telling us.

It's very uncomfortable because the room is actually small. It sees everything. There's a lot of cctv around the hut. I just feel the job is more intrested in watching staff. Have we anything to go on with this?

I'm sure its there in case anyone breaks into the security hut and kidnaps you.. But seriously, its not a private area like toilets or lockers/changing area so it would be hard faught..

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Have a read here..should answer your questions

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/monitoring_and_surveillance_at_work/surveillance_of_electronic_communications_in_the_workplace.html

'Employers may use CCTV to monitor the workplace for various reasons. If CCTV is installed in a workplace, the employer should use signage to inform employees of the location of the cameras and to explain the purpose for which they are installed. Under the Data Protection Acts, if your employer informed you that the CCTV cameras were installed to prevent, for example, theft from the workplace, the CCTV footage cannot be used for another purpose such as recording the entry and exit of employees from the workplace.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

also look up data protection . I'd say you have a fair case for getting them removed or to only look at the door or something.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Send a email to the Data protection commissioner, they'll put you right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement