Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jewel in the Irish Accent Crown

Options
  • 02-04-2015 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

Up the Kingdom!

Comments

I am not sure I have heard a Kerry person place a "h" after an "s" in the way he does, where the "s" is followed by a vowel, "so", "Sunday" etc. Where the "s" is followed by a consonant, you get it alright, "wesht", "Chrisht", "shtop" and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

I am not sure I have heard a Kerry person place a "h" after an "s" in the way he does, where the "s" is followed by a vowel, "so", "Sunday" etc. Where the "s" is followed by a consonant, you get it alright, "wesht", "Chrisht", "shtop" and so on.

Interesting. I'll have to pay more attention to Kerry folk and where they put there h's from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

I've been noticing what you said since your post and it seems to me that you're right most of the time.

There does seem to be an exception -- sort of -- to the vowel rule: I was watching The Guard and noticed Brendan Gleeson pronouncing "used" as "yoosht" and "supposed" as "supposht" (Kalnikov was supposht to be over the hill.) But I guess that's because no one pronounces the "e" in those words anyway.

Advertisement