Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much rent allowance can somebody on the dole get?

Options
  • 02-04-2015 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I need to rent somewhere but I'm on job seekers, so I only have €100 a week to live on.
    I'm not renting at the moment but will soon have to.
    What is the most rent allowance/supplement somebody can get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

I need to rent somewhere but I'm on job seekers, so I only have €100 a week to live on.
    I'm not renting at the moment but will soon have to.
    What is the most rent allowance/supplement somebody can get?

As far as I know it will all depend on things like what part of the country you live in, and I thought nk you have to have been paying rent for at least 6 months first. You should check on the Citezens Advice Bureau website.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You have to have been already renting in the private sector for six months OR if not get assessed as in need of housing by your local housing authority.

Max rent limits apply - in other words the place that you're renting must be below the maximum limit to begin with. As a single person you must then pay €30 per week of the rent. It's worked out slightly different to this but simply put if your rent is €450 per month & you have no other assessable means you'd get €330 per month.

Max Rent Limits by county are listed here: https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Maximum-Rent-Limits-by-County.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Key thing is for you to get independently assessed as in need of housing by your Local Council - e.g too many people in your current residence.
    Then you have to find a place that will take rent allowance and is within their budget.
    Liklihood is you may get a room somewhere, and have to pay about €30 a week with them giving you the money for the rest until you find a job and can pay it yourself.

Best wishes.

Advertisement