Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Canadian Moving to Ireland For a Year

Options
  • 02-04-2015 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am a young Canadian moving to Ireland for a year on a work visa and was wondering where i should live. I do not want to live in a city, but wish to move to a town. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Interesting question.

Personally I'd go for the west. Somewhere touristy will be a bit more lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Galway, the only thing is it a city, maybe Salthill which is about 15mins outside Galway City but has a bus link, Always something going on in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Galway, the only thing is it a city, maybe Salthill which is about 15mins outside Galway City but has a bus link, Always something going on in Galway

Agreed. It has the feel of a big town too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd recommend Roundwood in Wicklow. Stunning scenery all around, nice little town, about 10KM from the coast and about 40 mins from Dublin city centre if you wanted to check that out.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The only thing to bear in mind is that public transport outside of the cities in Ireland tends to be not great. And even in cities it can be a bit hit or miss depending on the route and your start-point/destination. So depending on what sort of work you're hoping to get, I'd pay attention to distances & transport available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Lemming wrote: »
    The only thing to bear in mind is that public transport outside of the cities in Ireland tends to be not great. And even in cities it can be a bit hit or miss depending on the route and your start-point/destination. So depending on what sort of work you're hoping to get, I'd pay attention to distances & transport available.

Very true, would agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

OP will u have a job before you get to Ireland? What work would you be looking to do? Are you male or female?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Morgan24

I am female, and I do not have a specific job in mind. As long as the job pays the bills I am up for it. I would work in any field. Also, a place that isn't to expensive would be great. I live and have grown up in the country/small town, so that would not be something to out of the ordinary for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

OP compared to Canada most places in Ireland are small...even Dublin when compared to the cities in Canada
    I would recommend Kilkenny, not too big, countryside all around, train & buses direct to Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I would go with Galway. It is a pretty small city, but has the widest amount of work available. It is close to beautiful spots in the country and has a vibrant social scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

I would go with Dublin.

You are foreign.

Ireland can be clannish.

Dublin is more open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Dublin is ****e, go to Galway. The west coast is much better for that countryside and all that scenery.

Dublin would probably be easier to pick up work in although like any city it's beautiful on a sunny day, drab on a rainy day - and we do have many rainy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Staplor wrote: »
    Dublin is ****e, go to Galway. The west coast is much better for that countryside and all that scenery.

Dublin would probably be easier to pick up work in although like any city it's beautiful on a sunny day, drab on a rainy day - and we do have many rainy days.

I love Dublin. Dubs are funny!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Was in Galway last week, heaps of places looking for staff. Kilarney is good too with amazing scenery. Do bear in mind the public transport comments made above though, it can be very hard to get around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Morgan Ill be hammered for this , but Galway as lovely as it is , it can be quite a backward place for women and lgbt types , there are some very conservative views in the west, I grew up there, I didnt know any different till I did a bit of travelling, but there has been some high profile cases in the media receintly...

google savita halappanavar, setting aside what actually happened in the hospital , so of the local attitudes to the incident were shocking ...

basically dont get pregant , and be careful on nights out, dont walk home alone( though that could be said for plenty parts of the world)

http://connachttribune.ie/sexual-violence-in-galway-on-the-rise-730/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

It's all very well wanting to live in a town, but you really have to follow the work. Once schools/colleges/universities finish up jobs will be few & far between. I'd hazard a wild guess that any casual jobs in towns are already spoken for.

You may have to set your sights on a city/suburb. Even if you were lucky enough to get a job within commuting distance of a city you'd have to allow for rural public transport schedules which might not suit especially if you were to be working in the hospitality industry (even city transport schedules are extremely limited during unsociable hours).

You may have to just run with a city & do as much travel as your budget & timetable allows during your time off.

Advertisement