Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnley v Tottneham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Kane has carried us all season, more then Bale ever did.

Seriously?

No doubt Kane's goals have papered over some gaps. Though no need to put Kane in the same bracket as Bale.

Bale was a 'world class' player who picked us up and dragged us through games. Kane is a good striker - full stop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Seriously?

No doubt Kane's goals have papered over some gaps. Though no need to put Kane in the same bracket as Bale.

Bale was a 'world class' player who picked us up and dragged us through games. Kane is a good striker - full stop.

Full stop, well that's that then :pac: ...funnily kane has done exactly what bale did on several occasions, dragging us through games.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭onlyTobes

surely no one is surprised with today? what are people seriously expecting? the season finished after the cup final for these bunch of 'modern' footballers. 5-7th is where we belong and where will finish for the foreseeable future as long as we continue to have the 6th biggest wage bill and one of the lowest, if not the lowest, spend on transfer ratio in the PL. Its such a shame but its reflective of everything football has become at tottenham... its a business.
    All we can really hope for under the current regime is the occasional cup run and hope a player or two who can be 'spursy' every couple of seasons that make us enjoyable to watch... vdv, bale, eriksen etc...
    sad times but nothing new.

Bang on.
    Too many average players in the squad, Levy can't/won't pay top dollar for a world class CM alongside Eriksen. Bentaleb & Mason aren't good enough together, has to be one or the other.

Kane needs a top class striker beside him, to feed off and compliment him. It's too much to expect from a 21 yr old in his first PL season, but having said that he's been marvellous, and to think his season only started in November.

Poch obviously has his own ideas re players for the summer, but with recent comments from the board regarding 10-15 mil player price cap going forward, we won't see the big game changers at (new)WHL soon.

We're exactly where we should be at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Full stop, well that's that then :pac: ...funnily kane has done exactly what bale did on several occasions, dragging us through games.

Can't compare bale and Kane lad. Kane is great striker but bale was and is world class. Bale could play anywhere in the top 6 and win the game single handedly. Kane couldn't do this

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

mickman wrote: »
    Can't compare bale and Kane lad. Kane is great striker but bale was and is world class. Bale could play anywhere in the top 6 and win the game single handedly. Kane couldn't do this

Sure, or you could just discuss the point made by 2nd row rather than diverge on the world class rhetoric...or wait until kane is maybe deemed world class and refer back to what's being talked about now :P

• Advertisement

Sure, or you could just discuss the point made by 2nd row rather than diverge on the world class rhetoric...or wait until kane is maybe deemed world class and refer back to what's being talked about now :P

What you on about ? Read the posts before you chime in with nonsense

2nd row said something about Kane carrying us more than bale ever did - this isn't true

I can refer to any player I want as world class or not world class

Why don't you have a go at dubperryman as he brought up the world class thing first

Read the posts before you chime in with nonsense

Ditto to you, but tone down the aggression too.

Ditto to you, but tone down the aggression too.

You started it pal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Yer Ma!

You started it pal

You're acting like a child now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Don't think I have seen such a poor performance in years. No passion, urgency or attacking play. Season over, bring on August so we can start again with a lot of the deadwood shipped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Yer Ma!

my ma would batter your ma!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Seriously?

Yes seriously.

I never used said he was 'world class' and just to clarify I don't see him ever been a real Madrid player or ever commanding a fee in excess of 30 or 40 million. Nor does he have the ability to win games in an instance of brilliance like Bale could (did).

I suppose my point was that when Bale was around at least he has Modric, VDV and a couple of others to carry the load (some of the time) ... sure even Defoe, Ade, Pav and Crouch chipped in with 20 goals between them but this year Kane has had to nearly do it all single handedly .. Chadli and Eriksen have returned a few goals but nothing above their expected return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

mickman wrote:

I agree. I wasn't comparing them against each other. Bale is a whole other level but if you take Kane out of our games in the league we would be 22 points less off hence he has carried us this season... Even more than Bale did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Feic it, could have been just 5 points off fourth tonight.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Feic it, could have been just 5 points off fourth tonight.

And not only that. City are at old Trafford next weekend and have to come to the lane so we could have caught them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's over now for sure. If we can't get points against Burnley, we won't get enough points to catch United, regardless of who they are playing. Once again, our absolute shambolic displays against the lower teams has cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DragonKhan

That was quite possibly one of the most boring games I have ever watched

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DragonKhan

I agree. I wasn't comparing them against each other. Bale is a whole other level but if you take Kane out of our games in the league we would be 22 points less off hence he has carried us this season... Even more than Bale did.

Makes me think that us constantly being linked with Jay Rodriquez is a good thing as he is a decent goal scoring midfielder/wing forward. Would take some of the load of Eriksen and Kane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

DragonKhan wrote: »
    Makes me think that us constantly being linked with Jay Rodriquez is a good thing as he is a decent goal scoring midfielder/wing forward. Would take some of the load of Eriksen and Kane

I wouldn't be pinning my hopes on a player who has not played for a year or more.

From reading this thread it seems we were awful against Burnley, I wasn't expecting anything more than a draw and I'm not that pizzed off we most likely are not getting CL again. I think the annoying thing is that we got close to top 4 when most of us had already given up hope earlier in the season. Give us hope and then fizzle out as usual.

If only we could opt out of Europa.

At the start of the year and after the shambles that preceded it not many Spurs fans would have expected top 4 this year. We'v made mistakes that could have cost us but I still see this year as a learning curve for the new manager and his team and there is a lot more to look forward to next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Some of the overreaction here is comical. We expected to finish about 6th this season. Whaddya know, we're in 6th. The highest we've pretty much ever finished is 4th, yet people the way some here are talking, you'd think we'd gone from winning the title to a relegation battle.

We've got some decent players and some very poor players. We've got a very very young team which will almost definitely improve, especially once the coach gets in players he wants, which he hopefully will, although anyone who thinks we'll be signing world class players needs to get their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ormus wrote: »
    Some of the overreaction here is comical. We expected to finish about 6th this season. Whaddya know, we're in 6th. The highest we've pretty much ever finished is 4th, yet people the way some here are talking, you'd think we'd gone from winning the title to a relegation battle.

We've got some decent players and some very poor players. We've got a very very young team which will almost definitely improve, especially once the coach gets in players he wants, which he hopefully will, although anyone who thinks we'll be signing world class players needs to get their head examined.

I don't think anyone believes that. It'll be cheap and cheerful. One or two unearthings.

I'ts obviously who Pochettino doesn't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I think the overreaction is more towards the spineless performance on Sunday. I did not expect us to get top 4 but we were actually in the hunt believe it or not. Now to be in the running and to play how they did last Sunday is not good enough, most of them strolled around the place like a practice match. Anyway I agree we are where we should be but it is as always the hope that bloody kills you with Spurs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Complete red herring. No matter where one expects us to finish we expect to be able to at least create a chance against Burnley.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I think the overreaction is more towards the spineless performance on Sunday. I did not expect us to get top 4 but we were actually in the hunt believe it or not. Now to be in the running and to play how they did last Sunday is not good enough, most of them strolled around the place like a practice match. Anyway I agree we are where we should be but it is as always the hope that bloody kills you with Spurs :(

Yeah it was a horrible performance, with little sign of any effort. But when you think about it, we've put in performances like that every March/April for the last 6 or 7 seasons. It's a combination of fatigue and lack of motivation. When I say fatigue, I don't just mean tired legs, although that is a factor. I mean a general fatigue around the club, things slipping away, not much left to play for, some heads go down, up against a club fighting for its life.

Almost every team outside the top 4 will have performances like this in the next few weeks. Even City have been at it lately.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Complete red herring. No matter where one expects us to finish we expect to be able to at least create a chance against Burnley.

You would hope so yeah, but we're just not a very good team. On our day we are pretty fearsome, but what makes us not very good is the fact that we can't keep our top level of performance up for a season. We are prone to occasional flat performances, like Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

You would hope so yeah, but we're just not a very good team. On our day we are pretty fearsome, but what makes us not very good is the fact that we can't keep our top level of performance up for a season. We are prone to occasional flat performances, like Sunday.

But in fairness every club has had flat performances this season, even the champions elect, they just have better players that can get them over the line on those days in question.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    But in fairness every club has had flat performances this season, even the champions elect, they just have better players that can get them over the line on those days in question.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

True, Chelsea can often scrape a win on a flat day.

We've done it ourselves several times this season, last minute Eriksen goals etc., but we don't have as much quality as Chelsea to do it over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

in all fairness, we're been pretty flat since we beat Arsenal 2 months ago

no injuries or suspensions - just very flat

same old Spurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

in all fairness, we're been pretty flat since we beat Arsenal 2 months ago

no injuries or suspensions - just very flat

same old Spurs

Very flat or not good enough, bit of both for me. Let's be honest , we don't have as good a side as any of the teams above us, Liverpool could be debated, so we are were we should be to a certain extent.

Advertisement