Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Mobile Price Plan Deals

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Vodafone also block it on pay as you go but not billpay

Is it possible to buy a sim or other device which has prepaid data of say 1GB with some other network that you just use specifically for tethering. I use tethering very little but it can be handy in emergencies when you need internet on the laptop and are not near wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

Also, if you have Tesco Clubcard vouchers you can use their Boost promotion to get, for example €15 off your bill for €5 in vouchers, or €30 for €10. It's a bit complicated converting them but it really cuts down on your costs. They can be used against PAYG or bill pay.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭burkey2k0

JoeyD wrote: »
    Is it possible to buy a sim or other device which has prepaid data of say 1GB with some other network that you just use specifically for tethering. I use tethering very little but it can be handy in emergencies when you need internet on the laptop and are not near wifi

Yup

store.meteor.ie/mobile-broadband-plans/pay-as-you-go/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

burkey2k0 wrote: »
    Yup. I'm not actually aware of any network that can restrict this. Is there?

The thing is they can, in cahoots with the device manufacturer's pre-loaded software, tell the difference at the network infrastructure level between tethering and device-origin Internet activity. Many of them will bill differently for this, and the odd one will disable it for ready-to-go SIMs, and so forth. This is ballacks, as technically they're exactly the same thing, but there you go. This is why third-party tethering apps like PdaNet+ are a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭little foot

Tesco is free to teather on while vodafone and other networks charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

TheDriver wrote: »
    you can set up recurring addons so yes and also you can set up your debit/credit card to automatically top up on designated days.

I take this can all be setup easily online on the tescomobile site?

If that is the case I will switch and just set it to auto top up 15 on the first of each month and then immediately afterwards auto buy the 2 addons.

This is definitely a one time setup and then forget deal so I won't have to worry about it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Can you set it to auto? You can schedule top-ups in advance, but I'm not sure if you can schedule a monthly repeat. There is an app that can top-up and apply the add ons. I just use that. You do need to buy the unlimited text add-on each month, but data can be set to recurring.

Hard to beat for the price IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Not sure about auto as the wife does it. I did think the recurring addons were every month though?? Texts included

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

TheDriver wrote: »
    Not sure about auto as the wife does it. I did think the recurring addons were every month though?? Texts included

I think they reset if you don't top up within the 30 day period. I've been caught on that twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Abromavich

I can confirm that tethering is possible on 48 out of your GB allowance. I tether on an almost daily basis with 48, very impressed since joining a year ago....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Abromavich

I can confirm that tethering is possible on 48 using your GB allowance. I tether on an almost daily basis with 48, very impressed since joining a year ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 31 briang747

Thanks for all the info lads and sorry if there was a thread somewhere already. Ditching vfone for sure the 3g coverage is pants (y)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

briang747 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info lads and sorry if there was a thread somewhere already. Ditching vfone for sure the 3g coverage is pants (y)

I just ditched 3 due to ****e coverage
    Now with Vodafone 4G all the time now

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭THRASHER73

My contract's also up next month. Im liking the tesco plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 briang747

I just wish tesco did HTC phones. I want the M9 as an upgrade from my M7. Excellant phones

Advertisement