Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballers get 'Sexual Consent Training'

• 02-04-2015 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

From the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32156858

I wonder what does the training course consists of? A short powerpoint presentation stating that, in fact, 'No means no'. Surely you could bang that out in one slide. Is consent not obvious?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rezident wrote: »
    From the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32156858

I wonder what does the training course consists of? A short powerpoint presentation stating that, in fact, 'No means no'. Surely you could bang that out in one slide. Is consent not obvious?

Or, while no means no, Yes can also mean no if they are drunk, or could be considered to be drunk.

You saying consent is obvious actually proves the point that such training is needed. Maybe you should apply for such a course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Or, while no means no, Yes can also mean no if they are drunk, or could be considered to be drunk.

You saying consent is obvious actually proves the point that such training is needed. Maybe you should apply for such a course.
    This. It's definitely more complicated than that and based on recent events is useful, if not needed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just have preprinted permission slips in your back pocket for her to sign, leaving a space for her name, date and sexual acts allowed, job done.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Only if the woman is drunk I take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

It's truly sad that we are at a point where grown men need to take consent classes.

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It's truly sad that we are at a point where grown men need to take consent classes.

It's moreso an understanding of the law issue then one where grown men are being tagged as likely rapists.

The disagreements in every Ched Evans conversation illustrated that. Grown men don't need to be educated that they can't hold women down and force sex but after that there seems to be confusion, so it's good that steps are being taken to educate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I wouldn't say no to a footballer on 50000 a week.

The Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's a good thing that they are getting this training, in fact I think everybody should have to take these classes. I've seen a lot of these situations where somebody got convicted for a crime because they were ignorant and would never have done what they did if they had known it was unlawful.

Just to be clear these cases were all of a sexual nature but nothing brutal, things like a hand going where it shouldn't as part of making a move and things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rezident wrote: »

Maybe a reminder that for some people, "yes" can also turn out to mean "no" when the boyfriend finds out.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of these situations where somebody got convicted for a crime because they were ignorant and would never have done what they did if they had known it was unlawful.

You've seen a lot of people convicted for dropping the hand before going for the shift?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You've seen a lot of people convicted for dropping the hand before going for the shift?
    I've seen three convictions for 'dropping the hand' but each time the female claimed that she was not interested and a couple more for people messing about when with their friends, like going over to a woman and touching her up as a joke which is totally wrong. Nearly everyone of them did not think it was a crime.

People need to be educated about this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

This is disgusting, assuming people are potential rapists is wrong.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    This is disgusting, assuming people are potential rapists is wrong.

This could not be less what's going on here.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've seen three convictions for 'dropping the hand' but each time the female claimed that she was not interested and a couple more for people messing about when with their friends, like going over to a woman and touching her up as a joke which is totally wrong. Nearly everyone of them did not think it was a crime.

People need to be educated about this stuff.
    I've never come across that behaviour tbh. Worst I've ever seen is a hand on a leg followed by a slap, certainly nothing leading to a conviction. Different strokes and all that I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

CSF wrote: »
    This could not be less what's going on here.

Forgive my outrage I read it wrong, but I still think it's a bit condescending to those who are attending. Is it mandatory?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Forgive my outrage I read it wrong, but I still think it's a bit condescending to those who are attending. Is it mandatory?
    No idea. But I don't think it is a problem to educate. I get education on financial crime in work, its mandatory. I don't get the impression that my employer is viewing me as a potential scammer. But we all have to be realistic and realise that both rape and financial crime are out there at the same time.

This may sound silly but we need to limit rape to the evil of the world (and then deal with these horrible people as severely as the law will allow), and not having young lads out there doing stupid things, sometimes without a full understanding of the consequences of their actions, and that rape isn't as narrow a description as the one described early in the thread. Consent isn't merely not saying no but people generally don't seem to have a good understanding of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So is dropping the hand rape or not ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

So is dropping the hand rape or not ?

If she says no, then yes it is.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    If she says no, then yes it is.
    Answering that was your first mistake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
Advertisement