Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores strike.

• 02-04-2015 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

Just went down to the Jetland branch to show support to the Dunnes Stores workers on picket duty.

Took a walk inside and the place is almost deserted. Eerily quiet.

Strange sight on a Thursday morning. Support from the shopping public seems to be very high, lots of motorists stopping to say a few words of encouragement, hooting horns etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Briarhill in Galway is weirdly quiet. Passed door at 9:30 after going to bank. Only one guy standing at main road at lights. Gave him a toot of horn. Only car out of about 50 at junction.

Nobody outside eyre square either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

tippman1 wrote: »
    Just went down to the Jetland branch to show support to the Dunnes Stores workers on picket duty.

Took a walk inside and the place is almost deserted. Eerily quiet.

Strange sight on a Thursday morning. Support from the shopping public seems to be very high, lots of motorists stopping to say a few words of encouragement, hooting horns etc.

You know your not suppose to go in as its crossing the picket line :D or did you use the excuse that your "only having a look" wink wink

I for one wont be using Dunnes until the issue is resolved. Couple of my mates (we all use Dunnes regularly) will be doing the same.

Strike or no strike its not resolved until management enter into talks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Mr.H wrote: »
    You know your not suppose to go in as its crossing the picket line :Dor did you use the excuse that your "only having a look" wink wink

I for one wont be using Dunnes until the issue is resolved. Couple of my mates (we all use Dunnes regularly) will be doing the same.

Strike or no strike its not resolved until management enter into talks

I made sure to stop at the picket line and ask if it was ok to have a look inside and I promised that I was definitely not shopping. The workers were ok with that.

tippman1 wrote: »
    I made sure to stop at the picket line and ask if it was ok to have a look inside and I promised that I was definitely not shopping. The workers were ok with that.

Its fine :D I was curious to see how empty the place was as well

Delighted for Dunnes. Getting everything it deserves. They haven't treated their employees in the right manner in a very very long time. Now they will see that who the public are supporting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

are they picketing at the entrance to Dunnes or at the entrance to the show shopping mall? Hopfully they not affecting the chemist and the other few shops struggling to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

are they picketing at the entrance to Dunnes or at the entrance to the show shopping mall? Hopfully they not affecting the chemist and the other few shops struggling to survive.

Well, at the Jetland, Limerick branch they're picketing outside at the main entrance opposite the Bank of Ireland. Not sure how the other outlets in the mall are faring tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Dunnes own the whole Jetland Center so the won't let staff picket inside the mall. The Parkway are allowing Dunnes staff to picket inside the mall as long as they don't interfere with the other stores.

Well I guess you cant make omelettes without buying some eggs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭893bet

Aldi was packed this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm often cynical of unions and strikes as I feel they often do more damage than good for employees but in this case I'm fully supportive. Employees not knowing how many hours they'll work on a given week apart from 15 hours which for most, would not be survivable wages, is very bad form on the part of Dunnes (one of the richest families in Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm often cynical of unions and strikes as I feel they often do more damage than good for employees but in this case I'm fully supportive. Employees not knowing how many hours they'll work on a given week apart from 15 hours which for most, would not be survivable wages, is very bad form on the part of Dunnes (one of the richest families in Ireland).

My brother works in Dunnes and there are week when he comes home with less than he'd get on the dole. They're a horrible company to work for.
    Over the last few weeks management tried to intimidate staff into not striking. To say that it back fired spectacularly is an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Childers road is busy today lots of people in and out of there!
    There is only 3 or 4 outside on the road picketing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

About 20-30 staff outside Henry Street Dunnes, with signs, stickers, and leaflets.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Angrybastard

There were very few picketers at Citywest and none at Saggart.
    In Citywest, people were just wandering past the picket like it wasn't there.

Interestingly, all the picketers I saw were men.
    The reason I point this out is, it's usually women at the checkout.
    If there were more of the checkout workers on the picketline, perhaps people would be less inclined to cross it.
    Also, I wonder did Dunnes get all their deliveries today.
    It would be great if suppliers refused to deliver to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Angrybastard

There were very few picketers at Citywest and none at Saggart.
    In Citywest, people were just wandering past the picket like it wasn't there.

Interestingly, all the picketers I saw were men.
    The reason I point this out is, it's usually women at the checkout.
    If there were more of the checkout workers on the picketline, perhaps people would be less inclined to cross it.
    Also, I wonder if Dunnes got all their deliveries today.
    It would be great if suppliers refused to deliver to them.

I don't know about deliveries but I was due to visit 4 stores in Galway today, as a rep, and there's no way I was passing any picket.

I saw the news clips. A girl was shouting on henry street dublin over and over asking people not to pass. In Limerick and Galway they were just observing a strike with signs and waving to cars beeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

People will almost never pass a picket. I wouldn't take empty shops as a sign of public support. I'm saying that as someone who had that experience today. Was on my way into Henry Street when I saw the picket and went to tesco instead. I have no opinion on this matter but a low opinion of unions In general.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A few of my friends reckon a lot of shopping was done on-line and delivered today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I don't know about deliveries but I was due to visit 4 stores in Galway today, as a rep, and there's no way I was passing any picket.

I saw the news clips. A girl was shouting on henry street dublin over and over asking people not to pass. In Limerick and Galway they were just observing a strike with signs and waving to cars beeping.

I don't agree with any kind of intimidatory behaviour. Can you link to the clip, to make sure I don't have the wrong idea.

I don't agree with any kind of intimidatory behaviour. Can you link to the clip, to make sure I don't have the wrong idea.

To be clear I'm not using the term "intimidatory"

• Advertisement

Beer Baron wrote: »
    To be clear I'm not using the term "intimidatory"

Okay video looks reasonable enough. Not sure what they can achieve, if the company won't engage with the union. These type of contract seem really common at the moment in retail.
    Personally I have rejected jobs with similar terms, where I was told the contract would be 3hr * 5 days. I would be €55 short of my jobseekers even before I counted travel cost. Sickening really. These type of contract are only really of any benefit to those under 25 on a jobseekers of €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

The dunnes stores employees that continued to work while there collegues were on the picket line should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Eh, it was the Full-timers who worked during the strike. They are contracted to work 39 hours a week anyway.
    After 30 years shopping there you must surely know something about the company by now.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭893bet

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Eh, it was the Full-timers who worked during the strike. They are contracted to work 39 hours a week anyway.
    After 30 years shopping there you must surely know something about the company by now.....:rolleyes:

I doubt it was as simple as that. I am sure many full times didn't pass the picket.

Some workers did I am sure, and perhaps they have their reasons, along with management. They worked a skeleton staff then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I feel sorry for the workers and all but I also feel sorry for the adjacent shops in the various shopping centers that must have lost business too.

Tesco on the roxboro road was packed all day yesterday though!

Not everyone working in Dunnes Store may be registered with a union. Non-membership of an union, means you can't legally strike. Strike can only be legal when balloted correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Tesco at Coonagh was insane on Thursday evening. Dunnes must have lost an enormous amount of money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The strike is over, if you want to discuss the strike, it's merits, people passing the picket line, etc. etc. please find the relevant forum, I don't think the Limerick forum is the right place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement