Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off

• 02-04-2015 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

Just starting off in the world of motorbike riding and was looking for some advice. I have read the sticky above and it has been very helpful...

I am looking to purchase a bike and would really appreciate any feedback. I am over 24 so no restrictions apply and I am about to book my IBT.

I want to buy a road bike and was wondering if anyone would kindly advise me on makes, cc's, models, things to watch out for etc. for someone starting off.

Many thanks,
    W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Waillee123 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just starting off in the world of motorbike riding and was looking for some advice. I have read the sticky above and it has been very helpful...

I am looking to purchase a bike and would really appreciate any feedback. I am over 24 so no restrictions apply and I am about to book my IBT.

I want to buy a road bike and was wondering if anyone would kindly advise me on makes, cc's, models, things to watch out for etc. for someone starting off.

Many thanks,
    W

Welcome to the world of biking man!

I don't have anywhere near the experience that some people have on this board but I will try and help you out.

Im assuming you have your provesional ?

If so you said it yourself IBT is the place to start. Find somewhere that's local and with a good reputation. But shop around. When I was doing mine I found places for €400 and then some for €575 so it depends I guess.

From there its just a matter of picking what style of bike (cruiser,tourer,sport,naked [the list is nearly endless]) you A) like the look of and B) Fits your needs. You can pretty much find any size bike in any style.

I started on a 125 and am now on a 250. Slowly but surely I am moving up to a 500 sometime this year. A lot of people say its the best way to go about it but to be honest, Id nearly skip the 125 & 250 and start on something with a little bit of pace, 400 say.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Doing the full A kind of pushes you into getting a 600 or bigger straight away, but do the IBT first and see how you get on.
    I think a 400 or 500cc bike is perfect to start on which is what I did in the end. Can always rent the school 600 from your instructor for the test. Or trade up after a few months or a year, 6 months wait before you do the test anyway.

To be honest you can't go far wrong if you stick to a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki. But bear in mind you'll drop it and you won't be Rossi the day after your IBT so a sports bike mightn't be the best choice for the first bike. Get an ER6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Do the IBT first, on a school bike, and then you will have a more informed idea what type of bike that would suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Above anything relax.the IBT will be both stressful and exciting in equal measure .

As above if you are doing direct access A then you would prob most definitely skip anyting under 250 frankly or me the added power above made the bike easier to control especially at slow speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Watch out for slippery roads and potholes or youll take a spill, take her handy for the first few weeks till you get used to the bike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Get an insurance quote for any bike you are thinking of buying, that might narrow down the list,

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waillee123

Many thanks for your responses.

In relation to getting used to riding and a new bike, it'll be a slow & steady approach for the first few weeks!!

I think I'll get the first few lessons on the school bike and take it from there. I'm think 600 and something Japanese; Fazer, Hornet, Bandit etc...
    Any do's and don'ts of buying your first bike or tips when buying the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

for every 3 bikes for sale, 2.5 of them are donkeys.. be sure to bring someone with you when you're buying who knows their stuff..

On bike adverts you will see the following:
    Never seen rain - in other words, its has been left sitting in rain for the last 15 years
    Never dropped - it'd be hard to find a bike +7/8 years old that has not been dropped
    Never abused - yeah right, good one

If I was starting off again, i'd prob go on the cheap and buy something mechanically sound but maybe needing a bit of cosmetic, knowing that I was going to drop it.. then after a year, upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭honda boi

jameshayes wrote: »
    for every 3 bikes for sale, 2.5 of them are donkeys.. be sure to bring someone with you when you're buying who knows their stuff..

On bike adverts you will see the following:
    Never seen rain - in other words, its has been left sitting in rain for the last 15 years
    Never dropped - it'd be hard to find a bike +7/8 years old that has not been dropped
    Never abused - yeah right, good one

If I was starting off again, i'd prob go on the cheap and buy something mechanically sound but maybe needing a bit of cosmetic, knowing that I was going to drop it.. then after a year, upgrade.

Yep defo bring someone with you that knows there stuff, I made the mistake of not doing that and I'm 600€ lighter not including the price of the bike!!!
    even give a mechanic 50 quid to tag along,50 quid will save you hundreds!!

Many thanks for your responses.

In relation to getting used to riding and a new bike, it'll be a slow & steady approach for the first few weeks!!

I think I'll get the first few lessons on the school bike and take it from there. I'm think 600 and something Japanese; Fazer, Hornet, Bandit etc...

Its not a fail safe but consider buying from an owners club. My vstrom came from the UK from an absolute gent. Exactly as described. Its 5 years old but looks like new.

Questions questions questions and have someone who knows what to look for

• Advertisement

So I've come to a decision to get a GSR600.

Saw one today and I think I fell in love! Problem is there only seems to be 3/4 for sale in Ireland :(

Suppose best bet to keep an eye on Donedeal etc and nab at one when it becomes available, (If anyone happen to hear of one for sale please let me know)

Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated!

great bike, i really like them..

What about the UK?

There are a good few here: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/suzuki/gsr600/

Your options for brining it home are: pay the dealer to deliver the bike to holyhead port (most do it for 99£) and you bring it the rest of the way or have someone from Ireland collect it for you, there are a few companies that do it, and they offer a bike inspection too. I dont know the cost but I'd think it'd be somewhere in the region of 400 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

There are a good few here: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/suzuki/gsr600/

Your options for brining it home are: pay the dealer to deliver the bike to holyhead port (most do it for 99£) and you bring it the rest of the way or have someone from Ireland collect it for you, there are a few companies that do it, and they offer a bike inspection too. I dont know the cost but I'd think it'd be somewhere in the region of 400 quid

Get a caged friend with a trailer and youll be sound out,

So, out of the blue, I get a call from a guy selling a GSR600 that I had been chasing on Adverts in Dublin.

Showed up, test drove and here I am with my own bike.
    Delighted. Gave a full wax today and just want to get out on it!! I love the way this yoke looks. Big tank, small back, fat rear tyre and the tucked up exhausts.

A few cosmetic touch ups as well as an engine service so I have plenty to keep me busy!

Anyway, can't attach pics below, but will get up some when I can.

Cheers again for the help advice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Is it the 2014 white one with 500km on it?
    Oops sorry, I thought you said donedeal not adverts.

Frigga_92 wrote:
    Is it the 2014 white one with 500km on it?
    Oops sorry, I thought you said.

No was an 08 red & grey one... 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Best of luck, keep it between the potholes and remember ATGATT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    ATGATT.
    ?... New one on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭blade1

?... New one on me

All the gear all the time!
    Unless the sun is out, then it's muscle top, shorts and flip flops FTW!!!!!!
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Or ride it home? Cheers for the link, just looking at some nice clean examples on there not too badly priced and the site gives info which gives confidence the bikes have had a cursory check to ensure they are legit and a means to confirm it. Only beginning to realise UK bikes have an not as saw this recently so another plus really.

Edit, how much and what is involved in bringing a bike to ireland from the UK, from the vrt perspective, no not required so, just register it here? Through who? Nct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Starting off on a 600?

I wouldn't recommend it. Driving a bike with a limiter is a bit pathetic. I'd rather dump a cheap 125 on the kerb that I was going to sell anyway than scratch a bike I wanted to ride for a few years when I had my wings.

Plus you'll probably skip CBR250s, if you like a bit of speed these should be tried for at least a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Korat wrote: »
    Starting off on a 600?

I wouldn't recommend it. Driving a bike with a limiter is a bit pathetic. I'd rather dump a cheap 125 on the kerb that I was going to sell anyway than scratch a bike I wanted to ride for a few years when I had my wings.

Plus you'll probably skip CBR250s, if you like a bit of speed these should be tried for at least a year.

What limiter? The lad is over 24 so can go straight for a full power 600 if he wants to.

btw, I went from a restricted bandit 600 to a restricted sv1000. Was grand! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

No prob!em at all starting out on a full power 600 as long as you are not a Wally brain. Just because you can start out on an R1 doesn't mean you have too.
    You need to know your own limits m8, I started on a full power 600 and it was brilliant.

A bike that suits your size and style is far more important then speed and power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I started on an 800. Don't have my full license yet, but am loving the bike and love getting out on it. Major learning lessons, but sure it's all new and fun.

Started out on full power 650 passed full license wouldn't have done it any other way

How the hell do novices get insured above 250cc?

I still think you miss a more forgiving development stage. I spilled a few times in my first 2-3 years, mistakes I might not have walked away from on a heavier bike.

These days a new rider can get insured on a R1 if they are over 24 and get an unrestricted license.still will most likely cost them a lot.

Most lads I know starting out simply can't start on a low power bike due to the commute they are doing. Myself for example... I was taking the M9/M7/N7/M50 to work every day. Not a hope I was doing that on a 250. Went straight for a 600 bandit.

Where as some lads I see starting are just going to be nipping around dublin on relatively low speed roads so a less powerful bike is fine.

goodlad wrote: »
    Most lads I know starting out simply can't start on a low power bike due to the commute they are doing. Myself for example... I was taking the M9/M7/N7/M50 to work every day. Not a hope I was doing that on a 250. Went straight for a 600 bandit.

The current motorway system definitely gives higher cc a practical advantage.

A Bandit wouldn't be my choice for a long motorway stretch though.

• Advertisement

Bike style preference aside... Ya wouldn't be doing a long motorway commute on a 250

Advertisement