Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cable from house to shed

Options
  • 02-04-2015 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm wiring a shed from a house using a 3 x 10mm swa cable from the main board in the house to the board in the shed.

Can I run this cable in duct along the side of existing wall(surface mounted) . . . .or do I need to bury it. Also what size duct do I need . . If any??

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Restricted Electrical Works can only legally be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

So the answer is a secret?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭noddyk

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Restricted Electrical Works can only legally be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor.

Okay so I'll get an electrical contractor to do it . . . . But need to know if he is doing it right!! ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Leaving the legalities aside a cable such as this should only be connected to a distribution board by a person with the appropriate training and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

noddyk wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm wiring a shed from a house using a 3 x 10mm swa cable from the main board in the house to the board in the shed.

Can I run this cable in duct along the side of existing wall(surface mounted) . . . .or do I need to bury it. Also what size duct do I need . . If any??

Jo

Either way is fine i'd recommend using swa cable, buried will look better but more labour involved. also swa can be buried directly in soil but putting in ducting (50mm solid wall MDPE pipe at 600mm deep warning tape at 300mm) is a better job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

noddyk wrote: »
    Hi

Jo

I agree entirely with noddyj suggestions

Advertisement