Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Our word of the day/week/month/year is Barista

2»

Comments

How come we've no soda jerks?

Who you callin a jerk, buddy!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

tastyt wrote: »
    Wow postgrads and all??

Mea culpa. I'd thought there pretty common as muck these days. Perhaps we'll see an emerging trend in MScs in Barista or perhaps someone is busy putting together a PhD thesis on baristaology.
    Are you the wolf of wall street by any chance?? Any barista in Ireland should be honoured to attempt making a cup of coffee for you sir.

Most of them are so disinterested, pretentious and caught up in their own ironic worlds that they've little time for pleasantries. I'm honoured to be served, never mind addressed as sir.

http://www.eater.com/2011/10/4/6646617/insufferable-coffee-snobs-parodied-by-funny-or-die
    One senior management latte coming up!!

Latte? meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, makes me sick, like that new term "chef", oh look at me, Mr La-dee-da Chef, -shut the fuck up, you're a food maker.

Same as barmen/bartenders, you're a fucking drink pourer.

And those dieticians, "eat less, Fatty!!" is all they are saying ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jimgoose wrote: »
    Not in the same territory as "jimgoose and his EBCDIC". :cool:
    sounds like a nasty STD you have there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Wow postgrads and all??

Are you the wolf of wall street by any chance?? Any barista in Ireland should be honoured to attempt making a cup of coffee for you sir.

One senior management latte coming up!!

With a few gobs of spit.

Pinch you've turned a potentially decent anti-barista anti-hipster thread into hostility towards senior management with your shenanighans. Aongus Von Bogger is getting away with his mrs bucket act. All because of you.

Shame on you. Shame.

With a few gobs of spit.

Pinch you've turned a potentially decent anti-barista anti-hipster thread into hostility towards senior management with your shenanighans. Aongus Von Bogger is getting away with his mrs bucket act. All because of you.

Shame on you. Shame.

Yeah committed a school boy error by revealing my hand early.

That's the thing I love about boards - someone tries to say you've somehow messed up your life for not learning how to operate a gaggia, then the wolves, blooded by information you've revealed, launch ad hominem after as hominem like you're some sort of Denis O'brien type character.

Ah well.

Anyway Day 1 on my London trip - had a flat white yesterday prepared by some hipsteress on the South Bank. To say it was horrid was an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Should we all be coffee connoisseurs now? Only the farm takes up most of the day and in the evening I just like a cup of tea. I wouldn't be able to devote myself full time to the old barista schtick.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Should we all be coffee connoisseurs now? Only the farm takes up most of the day and in the evening I just like a cup of tea. I wouldn't be able to devote myself full time to the old barista schtick.

Practice practice practice.

The first thing is to start buying those take away cups, and stopping to talk to people about the rugby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Places with baristas usually serve "gourmet coffee".

Personally I see zero skill in grinding some beans and putting them under a gaggia then pouring it into a cup of boiling water. Each to their own.

Watch any one of these and come back to me https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=barista+skills

• Advertisement

Watch any one of these and come back to me https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=barista+skills

Yeah be great if they put some of that into practice. Day 2 - coffee no 2 - served from another barista. Disastrous.

There must be a new word for pitch fork and torch wielding baristas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

We've been bombarded with this Barista

We've been? Nope, I haven't been bombarded with anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I'm glad I don't drink coffee. I'd hate to have to deal with baristas, and Iced, Half Caff, Ristretto, Venti, 4-Pump, Sugar Free, Cinnamon, Dolce Soy Skinny Lattes, and Non-Fat Frappuccino With Extra Whipped Cream And Chocolate Sauce, and 5 shot venti, 2/5th decaf, ristretto shot, 1-pump Vanilla, 1-pump Hazelnut, breve,1 sugar in the raw, with whip, caramel drizzle on top, free poured, 4 pump mocha.

I know. It's so awful to have choices. People choosing their own fillings for sandwiches is awful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Aye. The coffee equivalent of a Sommelier, which is French for "creepy-looking chappiemiladdo who recognises everything by it's Nuances of Toast." :D

It takes years and years of studying to become a sommelier. It's actually a very prestigious career. Theres a documentary about it called Somm, very eye opening.

As for baristas, I don't know where the OP has been but the term has been around for years. There obviously is skill involved, it's not just about operating the machine. if you think that most of the coffee they make is undrinkable then why do you keep buying it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

It's Italian for bartender (female).

• Advertisement
Advertisement