Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money debited, credited back then debited again

Options
  • 02-04-2015 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I've recently paid for a few things with my Visa debit card and I've noticed that sometimes, the money is debited when I make the payment, then it appears back in my account a day or two later (the payment seemingly disappears off the list of transactions) only for it to be debited again a few days later.

Why is this and if I pay with a debit card why doesn't the money stay out of my account rather than come back in, and then get debited again?  It doesn't happen every time, but it's happened more than once.

It's super frustrating especially as it recently led me to be overdrawn on my account as the real balance was not accurate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi veganrun, 

Thank you for getting in contact again today. 

When you make a transaction on your card it will show as a debit immediately however, will not fully process until the retailer sends their file for processing. Although this normally occur shortly after the purchase, the time frame is dependant on the retailer themselves. 

Once processed, we will update the debit on your account immediately. 

We hope this helps clarify your query and if we can assist with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Elaine 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Hi veganrun, 

When you make a transaction on your card it will show as a debit immediately however, will not fully process until the retailer sends their file for processing. Although this normally occur shortly after the purchase, the time frame is dependant on the retailer themselves. 

We hope this helps clarify your query and if we can assist with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Elaine 
    Hello,

I understand this, my issue is that there can be this delay.  Why can't it be changed so that the money stays debited until the retailer sends their file for processing?

It's frustrating that even when I use my debit card and see the money is gone, I now have to keep checking my balance in case it comes back in and leave enough there that it can be debited again.  Especially as this most recently left my account overdrawn which I've no doubt I will be charged for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

veganrun wrote: »
    Hi veganrun, 

Elaine 
    Hello,

I understand this, my issue is that there can be this delay.  Why can't it be changed so that the money stays debited until the retailer sends their file for processing?

It's frustrating that even when I use my debit card and see the money is gone, I now have to keep checking my balance in case it comes back in and leave enough there that it can be debited again.  Especially as this most recently left my account overdrawn which I've no doubt I will be charged for.
    Hi veganrun,

Thanks for your reply.

As Elaine has mentioned, the time frame for processing transactions depends on the individual retailer. This can mean some days between when the transaction occurred and when it is fully processed on your account (for example over a weekend). We will certainly pass on your feedback to our Online team. 

Thanks,

Sarah

Advertisement