If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on AV receiver for newbie to the world of home entertainment...?

Options
  • 02-04-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    What are the advantages of a AV receiver?
    At the moment, only have the tv (42inch lg 4k) but hoping to build from that. Was going to start with the AV receiver-is that foolish? 

Can you just attach speakers to the AV receiver?

Would you have any advice so far...?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi,
    At the moment, only have the tv (42inch lg 4k) but hoping to build from that. Was going to start with the AV receiver-is that foolish? 

Hi Chimicangas.

The AV receiver would be the Hub of your system. All the sources (PS3,4 sky, virgin box, Blu ray player etc...) would connect into it with one HDMI going to the screen. Some also offer streaming services and networking facilities depending on your needs and your budget.

All your speakers would be then connected to the AV receiver and output the sound from the selected source.

Starting with the AV receiver you would still need at least two speakers to get an audio from it.

If you have a starting budget in mind I can knock up a few options for starting for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Hi,

Hi Chimicangas.

The AV receiver would be the Hub of your system. All the sources (PS3,4 sky, virgin box, Blu ray player etc...) would connect into it with one HDMI going to the screen. Some also offer streaming services and networking facilities depending on your needs and your budget.

All your speakers would be then connected to the AV receiver and output the sound from the selected source.

Starting with the AV receiver you would still need at least two speakers to get an audio from it.

If you have a starting budget in mind I can knock up a few options for starting for you.
    Im new to it so not looking to spend huge. I was looking at the receivers u have for starting out? a pioneer and onkyo ? Would they be suitable? speakerwise i prob wouldnt buy new ones  right now. But prob looking for wired wall mounted speakers eventually? What kind of price are they??
    What would you advise?
    What advice would you give me?

Does the AV receiver then take sound from all those peripheral gadgets you mention and relay their sound effect? Does it also take anything else cnnected directly to the tv and relay that sound effect?

Hi,

Hi Chimicangas.

Im new to it so not looking to spend huge. I was looking at the receivers u have for starting out? a pioneer and onkyo ? Would they be suitable? speakerwise i prob wouldnt buy new ones  right now. But prob looking for wired wall mounted speakers eventually? What kind of price are they??
    What would you advise?
    What advice would you give me?

Does the AV receiver then take sound from all those peripheral gadgets you mention and relay their sound effect? Does it also take anything else cnnected directly to the tv and relay that sound effect?
    HI Chimicangas.

Does the AV receiver then take sound from all those peripheral gadgets you mention and relay their sound effect? Does it also take anything else connected directly to the tv and relay that sound effect?

The only way the above will work is if your TV has ARC on its HDMI port. (Audio Return Channel). What model is your screen and I can check this for you.
    Normally you would connect everything to the AV receiver via HDMI, then one HDMI to the screen to carry the picture. When each different HDMI is selected on the receiver if outputs that audio and sends the picture to the screen.
    You can also connect the the receiver via Phono for CD player, MP3 player etc....
    Some also allow the function to connect via blue tooth, wireless

What speakers are you using at the moment?

For starting out you could go for something like the Yamaha YHT2910 currently priced at 389.99 Euro (Inc Delivery) Full 5.1 system.
    http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-2910_w/?mode=model

For just an AV receiver there are the:

Pioneer VSX329 priced at 194.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200613-vsx329.aspx

Onkyo TXSR333 coming in at 229.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201029-txsr333.aspx

Also the 5 star reviewed Yamaha RXV377 priced at 237.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200458-rxv377.aspx

If you could stretch to the 377 you would not be disappointed.

If adding a speaker pack at a later date you could look at the following:

Wharfedale DX1 pack priced at 369.99 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11539-dx1-hcp.aspx

Tannoy HTS101 (5 star reviewed What HiFi) priced at 399.99 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-11261-hts101.aspx

Or 

Tannoy TXF 5.1 priced at 269.99 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12034-tfx-51.aspx

Polk Audio 5,1 priced at 279.99 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12817-tl1600.aspx

Have a check over the items and any questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Plenty of food for thought there then! 
    The tv should have ARC, think i read that. Its a LG 42 4k model. UB820V?
    I was looking at the pioneer and onkyo, but you have slipped the yamaha in now... 
    Time to think fast!

How long is delivery on an order, and what to do to order? 
    (Ah I see 3-5 day delivery down here.)
    Is it coming from Belfast?

Speakerwise I will find time to look into the packs you mentioned. At the moment I have a few old speakers to use for now, get an idea on whats needed, and then in time convince myself to invest further...

Plenty of food for thought there then! 
    The tv should have ARC, think i read that. Its a LG 42 4k model. UB820V?
    I was looking at the pioneer and onkyo, but you have slipped the yamaha in now... 
    Time to think fast!

How long is delivery on an order, and what to do to order? 
    (Ah I see 3-5 day delivery down here.)
    Is it coming from Belfast?

Speakerwise I will find time to look into the packs you mentioned. At the moment I have a few old speakers to use for now, get an idea on whats needed, and then in time convince myself to invest further...
    Hi Chimichangas.

Yip the 4K LG will have ARC.

It is still however better to connect direct to the Amp as I'm not 100% sure if the ARC will do DolbyHD.

Items are shipped from Belfast or Manchester depending on the stock location.
    However both still operate on the 3-5 day window.

To place an order you can drop me a PM with your contact number and I can give you a bell.
    Or you can get me on 0044 333 900 0070

Any questions please let me know.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.