Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you say its unfair?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Id say whats irking them is the fact that you are buying phones elsewhere. Also people would probably raise an eyebrow if they see a new phone every week and the usual begrudgibg whispering starts "where does he get them? I bet theyre stolen, I bet he's a drug dealer etc."

Maybe be a bit more upfront about your hobby with a new employer (tell them you get them second hand/refurbs maybe, and not new!).

It is a bit of an expensive addiction though, although ive seen people throw away hundreds on booze every week and nobody bats an eyelid. You really should channel that experience/knowledge into doing reviews or contributing to a forum or something. Being able to predict trends and fashions in phones I would think is a valuable asset for sales!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The terms of the OPs contract will be the terms of the OPs contract. Restraint of trade clauses are rarely upheld but it does happen.

I'm not aware of any case law testing the terms of a non complete clause - I would expect companies to be given a lot of latitude on that though, especially if they have repeatedly warned the employee. I'm happy to be corrected with linked articles, case law or EAT decisions, otherwise one is just guessing - as am I - and the OP would be a fool to rely on such a guess.

Advertisement