Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar Syrup to keep cake moist

• 02-04-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm making some cakes for a cake sale this Sunday morning. I will do all my baking the day before, and was thinking of putting a little sugar syrup on the layers of cakes to keep moist and fresh for the next day.

Does anyone do this to their cakes? How much would you drizzle/brush on? I don't want a soggy cake...
    Also what quanities sugar to water would you use.

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't do it, other than maybe on a lemon drizzle which is adding flavour rather than moisture.

I personally think if a cake needs sugary water to make it moist then it's time to change recipes.

Cakes baked Saturday for Sunday is perfectly fine unless they are of the whisked sponge variety with no fat in the recipe, they are the only ones that are better eaten on the day they are made. I am actually baking for a cake sale on Sunday too and will do all my baking Saturday except for the chocolate cakes which I will actually make tomorrow as I think they are better after a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

I love using sugar syrups! It's equal quantities of sugar to water/juice, so 100mls water to 100grams sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I rarely use sugar syrups unless the cake will be a while before eating after baking which sometimes happens with my fondant cakes.

I usually use equal quantities of sugar to water or juices sometimes I'll throw in some alcohol as well for the flavour depending on the cake it is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cakeboyee20

I agree if the cakes are dry, then defo time to change the receipe, should not need to add any syrups to make moist.

Advertisement