Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help! Landrover Series 3 Chassis Number

Options
  • 02-04-2015 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

We bought a 1980 Series 3 Landrover from the UK and have to have it VRT checked. The problem is the etched in chassis number is not where it should be. The VRT tester will not pass the vehicle without it. Has anyone has this problem before and if so, how did they get over it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

buy yourself a set of stamps on ebay and put it on yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Arlowbird

Thanks I have done - is it easy to do though?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

try and get a nice fat bit of steel behind where you are going to stamp and g cramp it in ,anice heavy hammer try and give it one nice stout bang, a lump hammer clamped in might do the job for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

For NCT they (nct), give you a form to be signed by the Gardai, after they (Gardai), have verified that its that vehicle.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

where are you looking for the chassis number?
    it should be stamped on the drivers side front dumb iron

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

That's assuming it hasn't been plated over or the whole dumb iron replaced, quite common.

Thanks for your replies. Having stripped the dumb iron and spring hangers on both sides of the vehicle back to the metal, there is no sign of a chassis number so I'm inclined to think that the whole dumb iron was replaced at some stage and the number not restamped on it. I even phoned the last owner to see if he knew anything but he didn't. I bought a punch set and tried to stamp one letter directly onto the chassis but it was bending so thought better of it. Unfortunately, even if I had the welding equipment, I wouldn't have the time to make a plate look authentic before the VRT Inspection and I don't trust the guy in the Inspection garage to be lenient as he refused to look at the car the last time (before I knew about the chassis number) just because I was 10 minutes late! I tried the Gardai but they weren't interested. In desperation I contacted a Landrover dealership in Dublin and they confirmed that they could provide a letter authenticating the vehicle (how I have no idea) but they would have to see it. I can't get the vehicle to Dublin and am currently awaiting a call back from a Landrover dealer here in the Southeast to see if they can help. Watch this space!

Advertisement