Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Background check on employees?

Options
  • 02-04-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I was wondering what the process is to get background checks on employees or contractors? Have any of you done this before? Im not sure where to even begin. Thanks for any info guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

If you google background check dublin you will get a lot of results its mainly PI type companies who offer it. Lots of companies like this they will even do a "lifestyle report" if need be!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Wow that's crazy. I was looking more for a a simple check so I can advertise that my workers have been background checked. Also I want my workers to know about it, wouldn't like to do it without their knowledge. Could my workers obtain something sort of history check from the gaurds perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Depends on the sort of thing you are recruiting for. Not sure if the Gardai do background checks in request no harm in asking I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Its not clear from your post for what purpose you require the background check but Garda vetting may be what you are looking for.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/monitoring_and_surveillance_at_work/garda_clearance_for_employees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't think you will be able to use Garda Vetting unless you are working with vulnerable persons (including children).

See http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data_Protection_in_the_Workplace/1239.htm#2

Also note the next question and answer. It is an offence to require a prospective or current employee to make a data protection request.

In short there is no such thing as a simple check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I use MTS Security for everything staff related. They will be able to assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can't use the Garda check unless you're in specific industries ie. childcare
    Any kind of background check will require consent from your employees or prospective employees

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Blacknight wrote: »
    You can't use the Garda check unless you're in specific industries ie. childcare
    Any kind of background check will require consent from your employees or prospective employees

That's simple: those who choose not to consent are not offered jobs. Existing staff don't get promotions or pay rises without one.

Advertisement