Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Postgraduate courses

• 02-04-2015 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭

Do WIT ever show flexibility as regards entry requirements for postgraduate courses?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

For most postgrad courses it seems that they're happy to let anyone in with a 2.2 or better.

What were you looking at going into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

callaway92 wrote: »
    For most postgrad courses it seems that they're happy to let anyone in with a 2.2 or better.

What were you looking at going into?

The Higher diploma in accounting possibly. I didn't do so well in my degree and want to try and get into something to better my qualifications.

I was actually gonna say that entry in anything in the school of business seems to be lenient on what results you earned in your degree, so any qualification should make you legible for the H.Dip really.

I had Marcel Wagenaar (he's over the H Dip in Accounting course) for an Accounting module in my course and he has mentioned this course to us numerous times. Send him an email to mwagenaar@wit.ie and he'll explain more. Nothing to lose contacting him and I'm pretty sure they do accept most, if not all people that successfully completed a relevant course.

Problem is I already have a business degree

Gael23 wrote: »
    Problem is I already have a business degree

That's good. He'll let you know whether the H Dip will be beneficial and/or what other options would be worthwhile.

If you wanted, maybe Tom O' Toole (head of the School of Business) may be worth contacting too. (totoole@wit.ie)

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    That's good. He'll let you know whether the H Dip will be beneficial and/or what other options would be worthwhile.

If you wanted, maybe Tom O' Toole (head of the School of Business) may be worth contacting too. (totoole@wit.ie)
    Really? It says it's for grads of a non business degree?

Ah, I'm stumped so.

Just email them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭invara

WIT is strict about entry requirements, but you should talk over your application to ensure that all relevant material is considered (work experience and details on your academic transcripts). The reason for entry requirements is that they are good indicators of likely performance in the programme- it serves no bodies interest for somebody to take a programme that they are likely to have difficult completing well.
    In some cases they will look down a transcript into the detail, so go beyond the 2h2 entry requirement, for example if you failed and repeated a single module and the repeat is not used to compose your overall average; or if you can explain a specific bad performance- but there is very little wriggle room.

invara wrote: »
    WIT is strict about entry requirements, but you should talk over your application to ensure that all relevant material is considered (work experience and details on your academic transcripts). The reason for entry requirements is that they are good indicators of likely performance in the programme- it serves no bodies interest for somebody to take a programme that they are likely to have difficult completing well.
    In some cases they will look down a transcript into the detail, so go beyond the 2h2 entry requirement, for example if you failed and repeated a single module and the repeat is not used to compose your overall average; or if you can explain a specific bad performance- but there is very little wriggle room.

So should I even try?
    My situation is I didn't do a couple of modules well in my degree but there were a few things which contributed to that, some less within my control than others. So really I'm looking for another chance and put things right so I can get my Career off to a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭invara

It is worth trying, send an email to the course director or head of department (Denis Harrington), and outline your situation honestly. You should get a quick, straight answer. Sending in a CV and your transcript helps them quickly figure out the answer. Do this before applying in pac.ie, if you get a positive nod. Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement