Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Results

Options
  • 02-04-2015 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

So my friend and I are doing our Junior Certs this year and he was a bit angry when he found out that we didn't get exact percentages- only grades. I personally don't mind that much since I have a good idea of what I'm going to get but he wanted an answer as he's worried that he might hit the wrong side of the borderline-84 or 83%. I searched for answers online but I couldn't find anything. Has anyone a clue why they don't give us percentages? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 conorfinn1

I'm not 100% on this but every year they want a bellcurve. If alot of people are getting 86% or so, They'll bring some of those candidates down to a B, if the examiners don't think they deserve the A (basically if you just scraped an A) and if they did give a percentage like 88% And one candidate would get an A there'd be massive talks saying "Oh I got an B but sure 88 is an A" you see there needs to be a certain amount of A's, B's, C's, D's etc every year.

Basically if everyone got an A or so, an A would lose its worth and would be like too easy to get, and so they mark candidates down a grade. as i said which is just basically to stop people appealing results that were brought down for many reasons probably.

I am not 100% sure on this but this is what i think why they do it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

conorfinn1 wrote:
    Basically if everyone got an A or so, an A would lose its worth and would be like too easy to get, and so they mark candidates down a grade. as i said which is just basically to stop people appealing results that were brought down for many reasons probably.

Yeah I understand that, that's fair enough.

conorfinn1 wrote:
    I'm not 100% on this but every year they want a bellcurve. If alot of people are getting 86% or so, They'll bring some of those candidates down to a B, if the examiners don't think they deserve the A (basically if you just scraped an A) and if they did give a percentage like 88% And one candidate would get an A there'd be massive talks saying "Oh I got an B but sure 88 is an A" you see there needs to be a certain amount of A's, B's, C's, D's etc every year.

I still think it's unfair that they do this, can't they change the marking scheme around and then give us our percentages?

conorfinn1 wrote:
    I am not 100% sure on this but this is what i think why they do it anyways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sometimes, depending on instructions, the examiners will go back and see if any D/Cs can become Cs or B/As become As.

People will have forgotten what you got by November. Don't make it too big of a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

spurious wrote:
    Sometimes, depending on instructions, the examiners will go back and see if any D/Cs can become Cs or B/As become As.

spurious wrote:
    People will have forgotten what you got by November. Don't make it too big of a deal.

But it's still not clear to me why they can't give us percentages rather than grades. Even A1 or A2 instead of just A would be good too, like the Leaving Cert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could always email them and ask.

FWIW, the marks are not entered by the correctors as percentages either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement