Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Angela's - food and business managment

Options
  • 02-04-2015 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am hoping to go to Angela's in September to study food and business management. I was just wondering if anyone currently in this course could tell me what they think of it and what the hours and workload are like.
    Also are many other people thinking of doing this course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Hi there, you're in luck! I'm in second year of this course!
    I really enjoy the course as its so varied!

Here's a list of modules we did in first year:
    Economics - interesting, history based, tiny bit of maths (not like the leaving course at all)
    Food Chemistry - one of the harder modules but once you keep on top of the studying you'll be fine, practical labs and some write ups, think we had 2 or three in class assessments and an exam in the summer.
    Food Preparation and Culinary Skills - you do an hour of prep and 4 hours of cooking, two practical cooking exams during the year. You do different aspects of cooking each week eg: bread, meat, pastry etc. also we do a written project based on our cookery and some of the basic science behind it.
    Human Biology - really similar to the leaving cert course only slightly more in depth. Practical labs and experiments
    Intro to Marketing - similar to leaving cert business.
    Introduction to Financial Accounting - can be hard if you didn't do business in school, most people fly through it, It's continuous assessment. Think we had 4 or 5 in-class assessments overall
    Introductory Microbiology - Leaving cert Biology, a few practical labs doing experiments etc and a summer exam
    Management Information Systems - Basic IT, word processing, GIMP, PowerPoint etc
    Management Principles - Similar to leaving cert business
    Nutrition, Diet and Health - Home Ec leaving cert course - more in depth, fairly broad module

Think we had 20 hours or so in first year, as for the work load it isn't crazy. Overall the course is interesting and really broad and there's plenty of diff areas you can go into afterwards eg: Food product development, marketing, quality control etc! The lectures are dead on and are really helpful. The modules are split up btw, you do a few until Christmas then start fresh modules in Jan until May.

If you have any questions at all I'd be more than happy to answer them for you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BG97.

Thank you so much! It sounds great. I'm really looking forward to it! I don't really have many other questions at the minute except I'm thinking of staying at Ard nua, do you know much about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

BG97. wrote: »
    Thank you so much! It sounds great. I'm really looking forward to it! I don't really have many other questions at the minute except I'm thinking of staying at Ard nua, do you know much about it?

I have lived in Ard Nua the past two years, fire away!

Advertisement