Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronde van Vlaanderen April 5th 2015 **warning: contains unmasked spoilers**

• 02-04-2015 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭

Ronde van Vlaanderen / Tour of Flanders - Sunday April 5th 2015 (Brugge - Oudenaarde 264.9 km)

The 99th edition of the Ronde Van Vlaanderen, which is the second of the five Monuments of the year, should be one of the most widely open contested races in recent years as three-time winners Fabian Cancellara and Tom Boonen will be both missing due to injury. In some cool news, onboard camera footage will be shown :)

The race starts in Brugge and finishes in Oudenaarde. The parcours are highly technical very tough. It's 264 kilometres in length, with 19 hellingen (hills/climbs), and tonnes of kasseien (cobblestones).

d091d51e-bec3-4458-bfe6-92107402ae50_zpsamqmaxoo.jpg

The full startlist can be found here.

So who are the contenders? With no Spartacus, two-time winner Stijn Devolder will be the main man for Trek. He may be getting on in age (35), but he has plenty of experience as this will be his 14th time riding the Tour of Flanders. Earlier this week he showed that he can still perform when given the chance as team leader, finishing second overall in Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde.

Greg Van Avermaet for BMC will most definitely feature at the front of the race at some point. He's not afraid to attack, and he has performed very well in this race before with a 2nd place ('14), 4th place ('12) and 7th place ('13) finish. He's shown good form so far this season with 2nd place in Strade Bianche, a stage win in Tirreno-Adriatico, and 6th place in Omloop Het Nieuwsbald. Plan B for BMC will be Sideshow Bob Daniel Oss.

Tom Boonen may be missing from Etixx - Quick Step's squad, but they still have the strongest team. Niki Terpstra (6th here in '14 and '12 and current Paris-Roubaix champion), Stijn Vandenbergh (4th here in '14), and Zdenek Stybar (Strade Bianche winner and runner-up in E3 Harelbeke this year) are all potential winners. Their biggest problem seems to be not being able to take advantage when they have multiple riders in the lead group at the business end of things.

Katusha have the most in-form sprinter in the peloton at the moment, and that is Alexander Kristoff. The Norwegian has been unbelievably impressive this season with three stage wins in Qatar, a stage win in Oman, a win in Paris-Nice, 2nd in Milan-San Remo, 2nd in Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne, 4th in E3 Harelbeke, and 9th in Gent-Wevelgem. And most recently just this week he completely dominated everyone in The Three Days of De Panne by winning three stages, coming 3rd in the ITT, and winning overall. Kristoff has also perfromed well at the Tour of Flanders, finishing 5th and 4th in the last two years. If this year's race comes down to a large-ish bunch sprint, then Kristoff is the most likely winner. However, he might not have the strength to stick with the attacks on the final climb of the Paterberg in order to be in the lead group. Plan B for Katusha is Luca Paolini. The brightly bearded Italian has also shown good Classics form by winning Gent-Wevelgem last week. It's worth noting that he finished 3rd and 7th in the Tour of Flanders in '07 and '12 respectively.

Sep Vanmarcke of LottoNL-Jumbo seems to be always the bridesmaid and never the bride when it comes to the Spring Classics. He's had so many top-10 finishes, too many to mention, but only one win and that was in Omloop in 2012. He certainly has the ability to win a Monument, and I think it's just a question of when rather than if. He is more suited to the parcours of Paris-Roubaix than Flanders, but it won't be a surprise to anyone if he is first rider across the line on Sunday.

Team Sky's Geraint Thomas has produced the best results of his career during the last couple of weeks, winning E3 Harelbeke and coming 3rd in Gent-Wevelgem. He also finished a very impressive 8th place in RVV last year. Couple these results with the fact that he has some strong Classics domestiques such as Bradley Wiggins and Ian Stannard working for him, then it's clear that Thomas has a very good chance of winning.

Milan - San Remo winner John Degenkolb may not be the strongest rider on cobbles, but that doesn't mean he can't win. Similar to his strategy a few weeks ago on the Poggio, Degenkolb will need to do his best to stay with the attacks on the Kwaremont and Paterberg and hope there is a re-grouping before the finish.

And last but not least, Peter Sagan of Tinkoff-Saxo. A couple of years ago, Sagan was going to be the next Boonen or Cancellara and dominate the Spring Classics. However this has not happened as of yet. That's not to say that he hasn't had some fantastic results in one-day races in the mean time, coming 4th this year in MSR, and 1st, 2nd and 6th in E3 Harelbeke, Strade Bianche and Paris-Roubaix in 2014 respectively. Sagan has had problems in the last month as evident in Strade Bianche when he was one of the first favourites to get dropped and more recently in E3 Harelbeke when he was in the winning break but his legs completely bonked with only a few kilometres to go. Also the suspension of Bjarne Riis must be an unwelcome distraction.

There is one Irishman taking part, and that is Matt Brammeier (MTN-Qhubeka). Cyclingnews have a short interview with him here.

course-map15-620.jpg

rvv-profile-620.jpg

Betting odds: Sep Vanmarcke 4/1; Geraint Thomas 9/2; Niki Terpstra 8/1; Alexander Kristoff 8/1; Zdenek Stybar 9/1; Peter Sagan 9/1; Greg Van Avermaet 10/1; John Degenkolb 18/1; Stijn Vandenbergh 22/1.

Live TV coverage on Eurosport1 from 11.15am on Sunday.
    Cyclingnews will have live text ticker here.
    Highlights on Eurosport 2 at 7pm and Eurosport1 at 11.30pm later that day.

And finally, here is a nice infographic from Team Sky depicting the Tour of Flanders.

sky-flanders15-620.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Katusha, Etixx or sky I think going on perfromance. though which rider from those 3 teams is hard. Cant see sagan been 1st he just looks off the pace and the 2 lotto teams seemed to run out of riders last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Most open race in years; Etixx should have the numbers in the finale but there is the lingering suspicion that they just can't decide what to do in Boonen's absence. Can't see Sagan doing it unless he has been bluffing for the past month or so; lots of riders injured too after a bruising few weeks. Vanmarke/Thomas/Kristoff against the field is probably a good bet, but it looks ripe for an outsider to win so a couple who come to mind are J Roelandts (3rd in 2013) and Jack Bauer of Cannondale-Garmin, he of recent bike-tossing fame and who rode really well in Harelbeke. It's a bit of a lottery all the same; I will be on the Oude Kwaremont this Sunday - really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Does anybody think wiggins will be gunning it in this one prior to roubaix. I can see him have a good race in this after the TT today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Craig06 wrote: »
    Does anybody think wiggins will be gunning it in this one prior to roubaix. I can see him have a good race in this after the TT today

He said he's riding for G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Stijn Vandenbergh E/W at 25s with BoyleSports paying top 4 I think is a cracking bet. Finish line only 300 metres from where he was born and he knows the race like the back of his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I don't think Wiggins is expeating much for himself in the Ronde, but he sounds well set up for P-R. Interesting article here
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/30/bradley-wiggins-history-paris-roubaix-classic

We'll miss Wiggo when he retires from the road in a few weeks, who else would get away with complimenting the 3 days of De Panne at one end of an interview and then referring to it as a 'sh1thole of a race's a few minutes later... ;)

https://youtu.be/_m0buv4xzAg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Have small bets on Devolder, Bauer, Benoot and Paolini. Realistically I reckon Thomas or Vanmarke will take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Team Sky will be riding Pinarello's with rear suspension.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/04/bikes-and-tech/sky-to-ride-pinarello-with-suspension-for-cobblestones_365336

Wiggos comments are like something out of a marketing 101 handbook!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Craig06 wrote: »

No. He'll be riding for Thomas.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

The women's tour will be more entertaining if you ask me.

10 bergs, 5 separate cobbled sections, all that in 145km, or actually, within 95 km, as the first climb comes in after 49km.

Pauline Ferrand-Prévot is looking really good and rather fresh. She finished 2nd of Trofeo Binda last week, and it was her first road race in the season. Armitstead and her team will also try to control the race from the fromt as they do. For those who follow Rás na mBan, you will recognise Christime Majerus, on Armitstead's Boels Dolmans team. She is normally the one at the front of the bunch, tearing the legs of everyone.

If you have the chance to watch the women's race or highlights, do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

The greatest race of them all :). Probably the most open field for quite some time. I would love to see Thomas win and he has a great chance but I think Stybar or Van Avermaet might just do it. Kristoff is in the form of his life(still only 27) but the last time up the Oude Kwaremont and Paterberg might be too much in saying that Paolini might be there to help him cross the gap if the leaders start playing around like last year. Degenkolb like Kristoff might struggle with the last two climbs and what about Sagan..he has to click someday and this race suits him. So I'm going for Stybar or Van Avermaet (hopefully Thomas :) ) with Pozzato as an outside bet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If you have the chance to watch the women's race or highlights, do.

Do you know where we can watch the race or highlights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Stijn Vandenbergh E/W at 25s with BoyleSports paying top 4 I think is a cracking bet. Finish line only 300 metres from where he was born and he knows the race like the back of his hand.

Out to 28s with Boyles now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

"We had Stijn in front but he never won a race ... With Stijn we were chanceless"
    That's his team manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

;) Of course I do. Keep an eye on my twitter @caroline_ie and my write ups feature here http://en.uci.ch/road/ucievents/2015-road-uci-women-road-world-cup/162107015/

The women's race will be on the latter parts of the mens and run between 10 and about 2pm Irish time. With coverage of the mens race starting at 11am bst, I suspect that coverage of the women's race will be minimal, unfortunately..... Maybe just the/a sprint finish :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Picture the scene....

It's a couple of days before the Tour of Flanders and you decide to cycle up the Koppenberg to see how tough it is. Well it's really hard and you have to hop off the bike and walk. You hear someone walking up from behind. You turn around and it turns out to be the 2011 runner-up Sylvain Chavanel (IAM Cycling)!! :eek: :eek: :D

http://www.steephill.tv/2015/tour-of-flanders/photos/page-01/105113_PIC528622217.jpg

I've commited and stuck a
    Fiver on Terpstra. Judging by recent form Geraint Thomas is flying and Terpstra just beat him in a sprint for 2nd in Gent Wevelgem.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Picture the scene....

It's a couple of days before the Tour of Flanders and you decide to cycle up the Koppenberg to see how tough it is. Well it's really hard and you have to hop off the bike and walk. You hear someone walking up from behind. You turn around and it turns out to be the 2011 runner-up Sylvain Chavanel (IAM Cycling)!! :eek: :eek: :D

http://www.steephill.tv/2015/tour-of-flanders/photos/page-01/105113_PIC528622217.jpg

Makes me happy that I was able to ride most of it today even though it was wet and covered in mud. Got stuck in a bottle neck, but got going again. Plenty of people cheering us on.

• Advertisement

TV program with Stijn Devolder, Sepp Vanmarcke plus others hosted by David Harmon now live at http://24cycling.com/

Race starts at 9:15am BST

Finish at around 3:47pm BST

Live video from 11:00am BST

TIMETABLE

NOTE the times for each of the suggest speeds in in European time, so you need to deduct an hour from each

Climb # Name KM from start KM to go @ 39kmph @ 42kmph @45kmph
    Helling 8: Berendries 170.4 93.8 14:52 14:33 14:17
    Helling 9: Valkenberg 175.7 88.5 15:00 14:41 14:24
    Helling 10: Kaperij 186.3 77.9 15:17 14:56 14:38
    Helling 11: Kanarieberg 193.7 70.5 15:28 15:07 14:48
    Helling 12: Oude Kwaremont 209.6 54.6 15:52 15:29 15:09
    Helling 13: Paterberg 213.0 51.2 15:58 15:34 15:14
    Helling 14: Koppenberg 219.6 44.6 16:08 15:44 15:23
    Helling 15: Steenbeekdries 225.0 39.2 16:16 15:52 15:30
    Helling 16: Taaienberg 227.5 36.7 16:20 15:55 15:33
    Helling 17: Kruisberg/Hotond 237.7 26.5 16:36 16:10 15:04
    Helling 18: Oude Kwaremont 247.5 16.7 16:51 16:24 16:00
    Helling 19: Paterberg 251.0 13.2 16:56 16:29 16:05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

neris wrote: »
    Katusha, Etixx or sky I think

I think that you should hedge your bet a little more!

How is SVM the favourite for tomorrow and next Sunday despite having been beaten by most of the lads around him in the odds this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    How is SVM the favourite for tomorrow and next Sunday despite having been beaten by most of the lads around him in the odds this year?

He lives in Flanders and someone has been busy painting his name all over the roads (possibly himself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He is the best suited to the race I think. Although I prefer Thomas, Terpsta, and Stybar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I fancy Kristoff for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

Weather looks good - Wiggins should do well.

cornet wrote: »
    Weather looks good - Wiggins should do well.

If Wiggins is in the first group after the Koppenburg I'll be surprised. If he is, He'll still be working for Thomas. Unless Thomas has crashed out of course.

Wiggins is a phenomenal time trialist and decent GC contender in a stage race but he hasn't the tactical knowledge to win a race like this. If he finishes top ten, it'll be a great result for him. But his number one job today is to deliver Thomas to the Koppenburg in a good position. That's where the race will be own or lost for Sky.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Just flicked on Belgian TV, it'll be on it most of the day.

Plenty of coverage in Dutch news here. 21 Dutchie riders in it, with high hopes on Terpstra and Boom. Boom saying that he's eyeing up a Top 10 finish at least.

Edit: Belgians (on 'één') showing the women's race at the same time. Probably not much help. :P

Brian? wrote: »
    If Wiggins is in the first group after the Koppenburg I'll be surprised. If he is, He'll still be working for Thomas. Unless Thomas has crashed out of course.

Wiggins is a phenomenal time trialist and decent GC contender in a stage race but he hasn't the tactical knowledge to win a race like this. If he finishes top ten, it'll be a great result for him. But his number one job today is to deliver Thomas to the Koppenburg in a good position. That's where the race will be own or lost for Sky.

What gives you the impression that he hasn't the tactical knowledge to win?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He is the best suited to the race I think. Although I prefer Thomas, Terpsta, and Stybar

He hasn't won a classic in three years.

I think that you should hedge your bet a little more!

Ah dont really fancy any of the other of the 20 odd teams at the moment

Brammier gets into the 1st break of the day.

What gives you the impression that he hasn't the tactical knowledge to win?

It's not exactly guess work. He's been racing professionally for 15 years and never won a classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Wiggins#Major_results

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Kelly has pumped for John Degenkolb again, got it right for the MSR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Brammier gets into the 1st break of the day.

Sounds like he really wants some beer.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's not exactly guess work. He's been racing professionally for 15 years and never won a classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Wiggins#Major_results

What were his roles in previous editions? Did he have a mechanical? Was he knackered? Were there stronger riders in the race? There are other reasons other than lack of tactical prowess for not winning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What were his roles in previous editions? Did he have a mechanical? Was he knackered? Were there stronger riders in the race? There are other reasons other than lack of tactical prowess for not winning!

Apart from Paris Roubaix last year he's never tried to win a Classic, so I disagree with Brians assessment. Alot of the tactics come from the DS, and Sky seem to finally have their Classics tactics in order, and have the riders to deliver, will be interesting to see how Thomas and Wiggins go in Roubaix, between them they have a fine chance of winning.

I take your point, but disagree. Tactical prowess is just one of the reasons I don't think he'll win.

Let's put aside the the tactical side of the race. Do you think he's strong enough to win against this field?

they/them/theirs

Inquitus wrote: »
    Apart from Paris Roubaix last year he's never tried to win a Classic, so I disagree with Brians assessment. Alot of the tactics come from the DS, and Sky seem to finally have their Classics tactics in order, and have the riders to deliver, will be interesting to see how Thomas and Wiggins go in Roubaix, between them they have a fine chance of winning.

I think Thomas has a huge chance today, because he's so strong on this type of course at the moment. There is no evidence to suggest Wiggins can win. I'm not exactly a lone voice in the wilderness on this issue either. No one I know thinks Wiggins is in with a shout today. Of the ex pros I've heard talking this morning ( Kelly and LeMond) no one is giving him a chance.

I don't get why anyone here thinks he has a chance.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Wiggins just drops the bike the oul grump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Wiggins down but changed bike and he's chasing back, looks like his left hand side has taken a knock. No "suspension" on the new machine.

I think Thomas has a huge chance today, because he's so strong on this type of course at the moment. There is no evidence to suggest Wiggins can win. I'm not exactly a lone voice in the wilderness on this issue either. No one I know thinks Wiggins is in with a shout today. Of the ex pros I've heard talking this morning ( Kelly and LeMond) no one is giving him a chance.

I don't get why anyone here thinks he has a chance.

I don't think he has a chance today, I think he has a chance at Roubaix, he will just ride for Thomas as a domestique today.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I don't think he has a chance today, I think he has a chance at Roubaix, he will just ride for Thomas as a domestique today.

I don't give him a big chance at Roubaix either.

He's about to abandon today, I reckon. That fall wasn't bad luck, it was bad bike handling.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He's about to abandon today, I reckon. That fall wasn't bad luck, it was bad bike handling.

I think so too, you can see it in his body language that he's not happy.

I think he has a good chance at Roubaix if his form is good and his head is in the right place, I am not sure about either though tbh.

I take your point, but disagree. Tactical prowess is just one of the reasons I don't think he'll win.

Let's put aside the the tactical side of the race. Do you think he's strong enough to win against this field?

No.

• Advertisement
Advertisement