Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blessington Place - Car / Pet Safety

Options
  • 02-04-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looked at a beautiful house on Blessington Place today. Area seems slightly rough around the ages but ok. I am wondering has anyone lived here or near.

I will be parking on street and wondering is it safe.

Also will be moving a cat who is used to doing her business in a grassy allotment area. There doesn't seem to be much green about here so wondering would she adjust.

Tough decision.

Any experiences welcome. Please no smart arse comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

Don't know much about the area but you will probably be best to keep the cat indoors for a few weeks after the move anyway so maybe you could try getting her used to using a litterbox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Artstaaar wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looked at a beautiful house on Blessington Place today. Area seems slightly rough around the ages but ok. I am wondering has anyone lived here or near.

Also will be moving a cat who is used to doing her business in a grassy allotment area. There doesn't seem to be much green about here so wondering would she adjust.

Tough decision.

"Rough around the edges" would be an understatement .............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Artstaaar wrote: »
    Hi all,

Tough decision.

The location is deep in the North Inner City with many social problems. Just call to the local Garda station and find out the crime levels for the area. Have a walk around there at night and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

The area is fine, very close to the city centre, handy for shopping / working nearby without having to commute. Your car is as fine there as it is on any street. Keep it locked and alarmed and don't leave anything in it.

If the house suits your needs then go for it.

The area is fine, very close to the city centre, handy for shopping / working nearby without having to commute. Your car is as fine there as it is on any street. Keep it locked and alarmed and don't leave anything in it.

If the house suits your needs then go for it.

:D The area is not fine ..........

• Advertisement

MadDog76 wrote: »
    :D The area is not fine ..........

How so? There's plenty of outdated generalisations flung about when these topics crop up. Have you personally had an issue there in the last few years?

How so? There's plenty of outdated generalisations flung about when these topics crop up. Have you personally had an issue there in the last few years?

Yes ........... I grew up in Dublin City Centre and I'm in that general area at least once a week plus I know many many people from the area who still live there .......... I'm not guessing, stereotyping or generalising here.

The OP has been given good advice ............ ask the local Gardai and take a walk around (not alone) the area some night.

Yes ........... I grew up in Dublin City Centre and I'm in that general area at least once a week plus I know many many people from the area who still live there .......... I'm not guessing, stereotyping or generalising here.

The OP has been given good advice ............ ask the local Gardai and take a walk around (not alone) the area some night.

That's great, the op asked for opinions on the area, I've lived in the area for years and have never had an issue. That's my experience and could be their experience too.

That's great, the op asked for opinions on the area, I've lived in the area for years and have never had an issue. That's my experience and could be their experience too.

Fair enough ........ maybe the OP should ignore both our opinions so and find out the facts of the area for themselves?

"The safest spots in the nation, based on headline crimes per 1,000 of populace, are

Roscommon/Galway East - 8.27
    Donegal - 8.4
    Clare - 8.4
    Mayo - 8.77
    Cork West - 8.93
    Cavan-Monaghan - 8.95

The most dangerous spots, as would be expected, are in Dublin's inner city.

Dublin - North Central - 124.00

Dublin - South Central - 97.49

After this, the trouble spots in Dublin fall off hugely.

Dublin - Eastern - 23.84
    Dublin - Southern - 23.80
    Dublin - Western - 23.22
    Dublin - Northern - 19.64

Cork City comes next at 20.93, then Waterford/Kilkenny at 20.05. Surprisingly, considering Limerick's poor reputation as "Stab City" for a few, high profile gang feuds, Limerick scores well at 16.75. Is that because Limerick was grouped with its peaceful countryside?

The rest of the nation came in somewhere in the low teens, between Cork North's 10.09 and Carlow/Kildare's 18.23.

In short, don't live in central Dublin and your chances of being a victim of a "headline" crime are generally below 2% in Ireland. Leave the nightclubs 30 minutes early and your risk becomes significantly lower."

http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/misccrim.htm

• Advertisement

Fair enough ........ maybe the OP should ignore both our opinions so and find out the facts of the area for themselves?

Nothing wrong with getting both sides of the story based on personal experiences. I'm sorry to hear you've had bad personal experiences in the area. I'm sure the op will do plenty of research

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bethod93

My fiancé and I moved into a house in Blessington Place 3 months ago with our two toddlers and I have to say we love it! It seems like it may have had a bad name in the past, but I think it's fine now! We've not had any trouble at all, and the garda regularly stroll by, to make sure everythings ok. Many of the residents seem to be quite elderly, so its quiet and you cant even hear any traffic which is crazy but great! Plus there's Blessington Basin around the corner which is lovely to go feed the ducks. I've seen a lot of cat's around the area so your cat won't get lonely! Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Good advice on not hanging around 'nitespots' if you want to avoid hassle. But those figures are both out of date (2000, with a drop every year since), and skewed by the population density of the Garda regions. You obviously get greater crime stats with greater density of population. Dublin in general is notionally 'twice as dangerous' as the rest of the country - a stat which doesn't seem to impact on the popularity of living there - as most people choose to do!

I live in the north inner city, and have done so for twenty years. It's certainly got lots of down sides, but actual 'danger' isn't something that's really much different from elsewhere. I'd place fly-tipping, vandalism, and nuisance activity by kids as being actual/meaningful concerns. A car parked on the street is likely to bring grief at some point, but a cat is unlikely to come to any harm (unless bangers around Halloween upset them - which would be a consideration).

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Artstaaar

Cheers everyone for the input - I didn't take the house in the end as it didn't suit my cat, not enough grassy areas.

Two friends have since moved there and reported no problems since. I wouldn't be mad into walking around there at night alone, but I feel that way about most places!

Thanks again.

Advertisement