Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Configuring HKC Panic Button

Options
  • 02-04-2015 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me with my HKC SecureWave alarm.
    My house came wired for an alarm and when I got a guy out to install it, he did everything except the panic button in the master bedroom. There is a wire for it but he forgot to do it.
    I tried getting him back to finish it but I could never get him.
    So I bought the panic button online and wired it up myself as per the brief description on the box - yellow, blue, black, red. I also had a green and white wire, but have left them unconnected.
    The problem is that when I push down the button, nothing happens. I'm not sure if those wires are actually routed to a zone, and I'm not sure how to find that out.
    There was a spare zone, which I set as panic (I have the engineer code), but it hasn't made any difference.
    Anyone able to tell me how I can find which (if any) zone the panic button is wired to?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What way is the zone hardware set?
    Non eol, single Eol or Duel Eol?
    Is pa set for audible.
    If you press the panic button does it show up in open zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

Thanks for reply - it's set as non-eol for all zones.
    If I press the panic button, it doesn't seem to display anything on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

Check your wiring eg. If you use red & black for the circuit on your panic button make sure you have that wired into the alarm side of the zone on the control panel your spare zone.

Then if you use blue & yellow for your tamper switch on the panic button wire them into the tamper side of the same zone on the panel.

Go into engineer mode and go down to zones,

Select zone name and give your zone a name eg. zone 8 Panic Button
    Then go to zone type and go to your zone no eg. zone 8 and make sure it is programmed for panic
    Then go to zone hardware and double check that your zone is programmed for non eol
    And as Koolkid said make sure panic is programmed for audible.

Close up everything and try your panic button hopefully it works for you.

If not open up your panic button and disconnect your red & black wires and see does Panic Alarm display on your keypad.
    If this happens it would sound like a faulty panic button
    Hope this is of some help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

OP have you actually identified the cable at the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

spakman wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me with my HKC SecureWave alarm.
    My house came wired for an alarm and when I got a guy out to install it, he did everything except the panic button in the master bedroom. There is a wire for it but he forgot to do it.
    I tried getting him back to finish it but I could never get him.
    So I bought the panic button online and wired it up myself as per the brief description on the box - yellow, blue, black, red. I also had a green and white wire, but have left them unconnected.
    The problem is that when I push down the button, nothing happens. I'm not sure if those wires are actually routed to a zone, and I'm not sure how to find that out.
    There was a spare zone, which I set as panic (I have the engineer code), but it hasn't made any difference.
    Anyone able to tell me how I can find which (if any) zone the panic button is wired to?

Cheers!

Are you using a spare cable wired into a zone in the panel?

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the replies - was away for long weekend so only got a chance to try this now.
    There seemed to be a couple of spare sets of wires at the control panel, but I think I know which one was the panic alarm, so I wired it up and the alarm went off immediately, which I assumed was because I had opened the box and wired up the new zone etc.
    But now when I try to set the alarm it says the new panic button zone is "open", so I've obviously got something a little wrong!
    I tried pushing down the panic button (in case it was the opposite of how it should work) but it still says zone open.

I'll check my wiring again in case I got it wrong on the panic button side - at the panel I wired yellow and blue to 'tamper' and red and black to 'zone. There were two black wires actually, so I just picked one. Should I wire the other in as well?

Thanks all for the replies - was away for long weekend so only got a chance to try this now.
    There seemed to be a couple of spare sets of wires at the control panel, but I think I know which one was the panic alarm, so I wired it up and the alarm went off immediately, which I assumed was because I had opened the box and wired up the new zone etc.
    But now when I try to set the alarm it says the new panic button zone is "open", so I've obviously got something a little wrong!
    I tried pushing down the panic button (in case it was the opposite of how it should work) but it still says zone open.

I'll check my wiring again in case I got it wrong on the panic button side - at the panel I wired yellow and blue to 'tamper' and red and black to 'zone. There were two black wires actually, so I just picked one. Should I wire the other in as well?

From the sounds of it you have the sensor wired correctly but have the wrong cable if it is still showing open. If you had a meter you could check for continuity on the cable to see if its the right cable you are using.
    In the panel you will need the red/black in the zone and the yellow/blue in the tamper side of the zone. You will also need to change the zone type to panic.

altor wrote: »
    From the sounds of it you have the sensor wired correctly but have the wrong cable if it is still showing open. If you had a meter you could check for continuity on the cable to see if its the right cable you are using.
    In the panel you will need the red/black in the zone and the yellow/blue in the tamper side of the zone. You will also need to change the zone type to panic.

Cheers, all sorted now!
    I had the black and red the wrong way around at the control panel - both in zone, but wrong way around. Thanks for the help!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Glad you got it sorted.
    Do you mean you had the red & black into the tamper & blue & yellow into the zone? :confused: That should have still activated the tamper if you pressed the PA.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Glad you got it sorted.
    Do you mean you had the red & black into the tamper & blue & yellow into the zone? :confused: That should have still activated the tamper if you pressed the PA.

No, I always had blue & yellow in tamper, and red & black in zone.
    It behaved strangely, it triggered the alarm immediately once I wired it up, but then once I turned off the alarm I couldn't trigger it again by pushing the PA button.
    Then when I switched the red and black around (still within zone, just swapped them), it worked fine. I didn't think it mattered which of the zone 'ports' I used for red and black, but it does - on mine at least :)

• Advertisement

Something not right there...:confused:

Cheers, all sorted now!
    I had the black and red the wrong way around at the control panel - both in zone, but wrong way around. Thanks for the help!

The way it was wired with the red and black would not matter.
    My suspicion would be you had the wire not in correctly in the zone.
    At lease you have it all sorted now :)

Advertisement