Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The novice thread - how you getting on?

• 03-04-2015 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Just thought a few of the noobs would like somewhere to share there progress and heart attacks here.

I've started 6 weeks now, I started with nearly collapsing after a 5k spin to doing 20k easy in 6 weeks. so far I'm up to 34km spin in 1h46min with about a break every 5k, my legs were in bits so took a week off, and found I was wearing shoes too small, new shoes are like a god send of comfort, I stupidly thought they were supposed to be tight??

Anyway how are you getting on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Well done keep it up! With the longer nights now you'll be hitting bigger miles before you know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Cheers mate really loving it! Went out in rain yest and I actually enjoyed it, if I waited for a perfect day in this country id be a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

A year ago nearly to the day i collected my first real bike worth anything. I had only been commuting on a old Raleigh record race from 1983 about 10 km a day for about a year after i gave up running and the gym due to my knees and shins starting to hurt after running for a few years.

Since then i've just under 8000km mostly on monday to friday , bought another better bike which was second hand, done sportives,lots of long solo spins and have plenty of Strava KOM's. I hate missing a day off the bike and just don't feel the same without a spin.

Looking forward to the Orwell Randoone and the Evil 200ish this summer. Amazing how addictive it has become and don't really care what the weather is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

Just started getting in to it in the last month or two. Running is not for me at all so I got myself a nice second hand bike in Cork. Same as yourself Schecter01. Getting out for 2-3 10-15k cycles every week and did 33.5k his weekend in 1:50 yest with a 10 min break halfway so quite surprised and slightly pleased with myself. Aiming for the 52k route in the Tour De Burren, so hopefully all going to plan might tackle the 80k in Westportif come July.
    Hardest part is nervousness when getting out of the city but I guess that comes with time. Also gives you more appreciation for cyclists as a driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

missmaw wrote: »
    Just started getting in to it in the last month or two. Running is not for me at all so I got myself a nice second hand bike in Cork. Same as yourself Schecter01. Getting out for 2-3 10-15k cycles every week and did 33.5k his weekend in 1:50 yest with a 10 min break halfway so quite surprised and slightly pleased with myself. Aiming for the 52k route in the Tour De Burren, so hopefully all going to plan might tackle the 80k in Westportif come July.
    Hardest part is nervousness when getting out of the city but I guess that comes with time. Also gives you more appreciation for cyclists as a driver.

You have 11 weeks to ToB and 15 to Westsportif. Thats 3/4km extra per week long spins. With the long evenings you will add that an evening without even noticing. Keep it up and you will fly them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

First time out with cycling shoes that didn't involve cycling around the back garden. Heart was in my mouth for the majority of it and willed every traffic light to go green but went grand. Very panicky when ever I had to stop and pushing off on the hill is a nightmare. It will come with practice .
    Now for a well deserved Jameson and Ginger ale!!

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

missmaw wrote: »
    First time out with cycling shoes that didn't involve cycling around the back garden. Heart was in my mouth for the majority of it and willed every traffic light to go green but went grand. Very panicky when ever I had to stop and pushing off on the hill is a nightmare. It will come with practice .
    Now for a well deserved Jameson and Ginger ale!!

Same for me today. Deliberately chose a short route that I knew would have gates and lights that would need me to try and unclip, but I didn't bargain for a level crossing being shut and nearly went on my arse in front of a queue of cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Weepsie wrote: »
    Same for me today. Deliberately chose a short route that I knew would have gates and lights that would need me to try and unclip, but I didn't bargain for a level crossing being shut and nearly went on my arse in front of a queue of cars.

Last week was first time going through town with shoes (had done 2 short spins before that) and of course there was a fall at the first junction!! Anyway I'm getting on well since

Have distance up to 50km. Doing tour de Connemara 80 km in 5 weeks so reckon Legs should be ok for it. Biggest concern is my seat. First hour is ok but after that I get sore. After about 40kn I struggle. Have tried few shorts. Someone was telling me about some cream (can't relmember what). Is there any worthwhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The cream is called chamois cream and works well. I've only tried the Assos brand, but there are others. Most bike shops should stock it.
    Congrats on keeping with it, it does get easier over time and the distances will soon mount up

Advertisement