Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friends on boards - have they transcended this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I've met a fair few people on Boards, all sound if not a bit star struck in my presence.

I know an admin. I have that on my cv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm kind of a big deal in real life so I can't risk meeting any Boardsies or I'll blow my cover and have people running around saying "Oooh Chris O'Dowd is on Boards and I know who he is lol".

I'm kind of a big deal in real life so I can't risk meeting any Boardsies or I'll blow my cover and have people running around saying "Oooh Chris O'Dowd is on Boards and I know who he is lol".

You and me both brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

hello its me ur brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

I've met a fair few people on Boards, all sound if not a bit star struck in my presence.

Surprises will do that to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I haven't met anyone from boards, even though a former colleague of mine from my time in Trinity did recognise me, and dropped me a PM to congratulate me on my career to date. That was nice of him.
    I don't think I'd have the time to go to one of those beers things I read about, unless there is one planned for a bar/restaurant in the financial district of downtown Frankfurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

fair play Angus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

libelula wrote: »
    Surprises will do that to people.

People are surprised I'm just as charismatic in real life too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't think I have ever met anybody who I know as a boards poster.

Being in Japan didn't help obviously.

There are a few people who might know who I am from my posts about Limerick FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I haven't met anyone from boards, even though a former colleague of mine from my time in Trinity did recognise me, and dropped me a PM to congratulate me on my career to date. That was nice of him.
    I don't think I'd have the time to go to one of those beers things I read about, unless there is one planned for a bar/restaurant in the financial district of downtown Frankfurt.

Frankfurt? Is that in Offaly somewhere? Yeah shur we could meet up for a pint of porter after the cattle mart. Maybe a sausage sangwidge if I get a good price for de heifer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Guessing who the rereg accounts were is something of a sport for me. I've had friends in real life find out my username and comment on posts of mine, which is a bit of a strange one when I don't know who they are on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Several years ago via the then Athletics / Running / Triathlon forum I was a relatively new poster to Boards and was invited to run for one of the Boards Wicklow Way Relay teams, only met the full team on the finish line, the following year we went on to win it :).
    Since then I've made many what I would consider life long friends and genuinely nice people through that forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No friends but plenty of enemies. You know who you are, and I am coming for you.

No friends but plenty of enemies. You know who you are, and I am coming for you.

You've been my enemy ever since that time you appropriated my avatar. You just haven't known it. Until now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You've been my enemy ever since that time you appropriated my avatar. You just haven't known it. Until now.

Hang on a second.........

No, I knew, you are also on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'd love to meet some boards people but I've only one eye and I'm going bald and I'm very self-conscious about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I'd love to meet some boards people but I've only one eye and I'm going bald and I'm very self-conscious about it.
    I think I may have a suggestion for you in terms of how to console yourself. It may or may not involve a certain, adhesive-coated product used to repair/reinforce upholstery and other essentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

We can go as a couple? :D

Seriously though, I've met some great people from Boards IRL and I've never met a bad 'un, they're all sound out really :)

I've posted stuff that's come back to bite me in the ass on here but for the most part Boards has been a positive experience.

Having a very nosy child though who tries to look over my shoulder sometimes and read my posts is a pain in the ass, he gives me a harder grilling than I ever get from any poster on here. I'm fcuked when he's old enough to sign up for his own account :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think I may have a suggestion for you in terms of how to console yourself. It may or may not involve a certain, adhesive-coated product used to repair/reinforce upholstery and other essentials.

Thanks for that very sage advice and it could help with the psychological impact of my appearance but I feel I might need a little more than just emotional solutions.

Here's a pic of me:

Junkyard-Cat.pic

Please don't look at judge me.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm glad it wasn't your other one-eyed monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

I'm glad it wasn't your other one-eyed monster.

His Hermin the one-eyed German?

Spare us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Boards have helped me to settle into Irish life. Can't remember how I came across it, but used to be a member of New to Town (or something like that) which wasn't very well used, and useless to me.

I've posted quite a lot. I hope I've helped some people. Some people have been planks. Most people are really nice. Boards is a great place to find out information. I can ask a question about ANYTHING, and know eventually someone will come up with an answer.

But no - Never met anyone from Boards, although I'm a member of the Cork City forum Meetups. Too shy and too poor to show up! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I've met and made some really fantastic friends through here. There's people who I'm still pretty close to, despite now being the far side of the country from, and I've boards to thank for that. I think my life would be emptier if it wasn't for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Met my ex wife and divorce attorney on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I have a few different forums I dip in and out of and I've met a lot of lovely people online. Boards is great for advice there's always someone willing to help. Its always nice when you get a pm from someone even if it's just to say hello.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

RomanKnows wrote: »
    His Hermin the one-eyed German?

Spare us!

Helmut Mór

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

Not boards but I used another forum for years and met some of my best friends on it.
    Really wish the internet had been around in my teenage and early 20's years as it would have made such a huge difference to my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, I have met a fair few people from boards; pasty nerds, pasty sex maniacs and pasty nazis (otherwise known as mods lol :rolleyes:).

As for learning from boards I pretty much model my life on Aongus von Bismarck now. Practise daily mindfulness and starting to learn the R programming language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

People are surprised I'm just as charismatic in real life too.

That's hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Can't remember how I discovered boards but I did get some great helpful advice last year when my daughter was starting collage, re accomadation and grants ect.
    Have no friends on boards as me mammy always told me never talk to strangers:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

kowloon wrote: »
    Guessing who the rereg accounts were is something of a sport for me. I've had friends in real life find out my username and comment on posts of mine, which is a bit of a strange one when I don't know who they are on Boards.

I am amazed at how people know who re-regs are. I've been around here a while and have only ever worked out who two were.
    I'm not very good at this game, am I? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Smidge wrote: »
    I am amazed at how people know who re-regs are. I've been around here a while and have only ever worked out who two were.
    I'm not very good at this game, am I? :o

You get used to what subjects they're passionate about or what sets them off. You get to know their style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

kowloon wrote: »
    You get used to what subjects they're passionate about or what sets them off. You get to know their style.

So I'm just not paying enough attention in class? :D

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yeah, I have met a fair few people from boards; pasty nerds, pasty sex maniacs and pasty nazis (otherwise known as mods lol :rolleyes:).

As for learning from boards I pretty much model my life on Aongus von Bismarck now. Practise daily mindfulness and starting to learn the R programming language.

My life is base on aonghus. In finance myself so I f5 every hour on his profile

My life is base on aonghus. In finance myself so I f5 every hour on his profile

You should ask him for tips on stocks and bonds or some sh*t. They're financey things, right? Maybe get him to do a chart of accounts and see if he can help you with your trial balance. I'd say he's good at all them stuff.

You should ask him for tips on stocks and bonds or some sh*t. They're financey things, right? Maybe get him to do a chart of accounts and see if he can help you with your trial balance. I'd say he's good at all them stuff.

Look, to be fair. I'm too busy basing my life on you and Bangkok .
    Aonghus guides my decisios

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

how do you make friends on boards? serious question. I probably post in the wrong forums..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

tara73 wrote: »
    how do you make friends on boards? serious question. I probably post in the wrong forums..:(

It's kinda random tbh. On my last account I was on this years and never really talked to anyone. My post count was low I guess, I didn't really become a fully fledged addict til I set up this account. And then boom all of the people. It's hard to say how you make friends. Posters similar to you with similar views will pm or you them. Or where you frequent the same forum as a group of posters, you get to know each other. I'll always contact a poster that catches my attention and whose posting style I like.
    And then there's good ol' fashioned beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

It's kinda random tbh. On my last account I was on this years and never really talked to anyone. My post count was low I guess, I didn't really become a fully fledged addict til I set up this account. And then boom all of the people. It's hard to say how you make friends. Posters similar to you with similar views will pm or you them. Or where you frequent the same forum as a group of posters, you get to know each other. I'll always contact a poster that catches my attention and whose posting style I like.
    And then there's good ol' fashioned beers.

GET OUT you and enjoy yourself!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

GET OUT you and enjoy yourself!!! :D

No!! I'm in bed nursing a killer hang over!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Maybe 'friend' them and get into a PM conversation? Or maybe when you share similar viewpoints you PM a bit about that and then take it to facebook and then text and then VOILA, they're your chief bridesmaid.

It's probably similar to how people end up dating around here except with friendship instead. I'd imagine the chat forums play a big part as well.

Random PMs of the non creepy variety are the business. I've had a few during difficult periods of my life that I vocalized on boards over the years. It really restores your faith in humanity to feel cared for by a complete stranger like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Was only saying recently to my OH how, as my life changes/progresses, I find myself on new and different forums (pets...wedding....property....interiors). I've only been on Boards a few years - my OH and his friends are very active (some are Mods inc OH) but I come on every day although I don't post every day. It's my go to place for advice, information and I'd like to think I give advice too, where I can! Wouldn't be without it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I've met a lot of people from this place. There have been one or two oddballs but mostly the people I have met have been really nice. Proper genuine, kind and funny people.

Sorry about that :o :pac:

I've met so many very lovely people through boards and am lucky enough to count some of them as true, close friends now.

Also bore witness to an immense outpouring of kindness, condolence and support on the loss of my brother who was also a boardsie. My family were genuinely touched that people were so kind and thoughtful to pay their respects in that way to someone that most of them had never met.

When I was in Galway I could attribute 80% of my social life to boards. Some of them are friends that I know I'll have for a long time.

It's not just posting in the right forums. Though you should engage in things that interest you and engage with people.

Check out the likes of Ladies Lounge (I believe they have a female-only private meet-up forum that you need to pm the mods to gain access to, but I'm not sure if this has changed?), Gentleman's Club, and your local regional forums for beers and meet ups. If there aren't any, then look into the possibility of organising your own

Look, to be fair. I'm too busy basing my life on you and Bangkok .
    Aonghus guides my decisios

You wound me.

I always do wonder what people think about me when they first meet me in person compared to the image they build up of me through my posts.

It's actually interesting.. Some people I've met are exactly as I had thought and some are absolutely not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

beks101 wrote: »
    Random PMs of the non creepy variety are the business.I've had a few during difficult periods of my life that I vocalized on boards over the years. It really restores your faith in humanity to feel cared for by a complete stranger like that.

Totally agree.

I don't know anyone from boards in real life, which is fine with me, but I do PM chat with some posters. I agree that there can be great advice and help given. I've learned a fair bit from boards, and had plenty of laughs too. Long may it continue.

I do enjoy the random non-creepy pms. It's nice to connect with complete strangers sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Not only do I not make friends on Boards.ie - but I've LOST a few friends when they realize that me in real life is this particular account on Boards.ie. Best to keep it all anonymous....

Advertisement