Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friends on boards - have they transcended this?

Comments

Candie wrote: »
    I do enjoy the random non-creepy pms. It's nice to connect with complete strangers sometimes.

As a result of this, I've had a few pms from different posters.

And only one wasn't creepy...but which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

As a result of this, I've had a few pms.

The only one you've not opened :pac:

Agh no....I've not made any friends/met anyone off it...though I do get pm's at times off very nice people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Report creepy pm's- there seems to be an awful lot of it, only one way to stamp it out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

You'll always get the odd creepy one when you're an AHers regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

No one pm'd me.

Pack of gowls

• Advertisement

libelula wrote: »
    Report creepy pm's- there seems to be an awful lot of it, only one way to stamp it out :)

I'm toying with people here!

You'll always get the odd creepy one when you're an AHers regular.

No, I like the pms you send me FC :P
    No one pm'd me.

Pack of gowls

I'll pm you if you promise not to say gowl again. I hate that word. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I have never received a creepy email in all my time here.........I may have sent 1 or 2....but never received one!
    :)

It's become my new favourite word. Wonder how I'll be able to work it into every conversation I'll ever have. Ever.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I have only once received a random PM...and that was yesterday :P

I get them every now and then. Not as much recently since I vanished for a while. Once it was someone from some local newspaper asking me about something or other I witnessed. Heck knows what it was about now, it was years back.

It's also occurred to me today that I've been on boards for a decade now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Though has anyone ever disabled the pm function

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭tara73

beks101 wrote: »
    It's probably similar to how people end up dating around here except with friendship instead. I'd imagine the chat forums play a big part as well.

Is there succh a thing as a chat forum on boards? maybe I got it wrong but think people mentioned it here but I could never find one.

tara73 wrote: »
    Is there succh a thing as a chat forum on boards? maybe I got it wrong but think people mentioned it here but I could never find one.

I guess there are some private forums could count as these, but many forums have chat threads within them, which serves as just general chitchat. The Ladies Lounge and the Gentleman's Club have ones and I'm sure loads of others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

I had to close my old account when some hoor figured me out.

It's a beautiful word and I'll have none of your blasphemy.

Please and thank you.

It's a beautiful word and I'll have none of your blasphemy.

Please and thank you.

You're biased, Mr Rex. I would be too if my first name was Gowl.

You're biased, Mr Rex. I would be too if my first name was Gowl.

We all have our crosses to bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

If you ignore someone they cannot pm you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Nobody ever sent me a PM because they agreed with my views.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'm toying with people here!

Ha ha! You're quite the kidder! :D

So we're agreed there's no need to report any of the PMs you received. Happy families, happy families...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

We all have our crosses to bear.

Grrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I used to think boards was great because of all the posts I was making. But the real reason it's great is because of all the friends I had been making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

libelula wrote: »
    They just make another account and start it again.

Though has anyone ever disabled the pm function
    Yes. Go to edit your profile then go to edit options.

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you made any friends on boards who have made a difference in your life?
    No not really it's more like some rl friends are or were on boards.ie. A lot of peeps i used to know moved on. Plus it became a hostile place for me i would be a lot less trusting now not just of boards.ie but of the internet in general or meeting people from it.

There is really only one person i met through youtube and she doesn't live here.

I would be very wary of the net now unless you know for certain who you are talking to. I have even had people pretending to be someone I know. I've had my eyes opened.

Me too .......in fact that is the internet in general!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I use boards to pass the time, etc.

Never used it to find friends or love. Fair play to those who do.

Also use it for games, and certain hobby groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I just moved in with a boardsie :D

Besides him I've made some of my closest friends through here. I've been on various holidays with boardsies (going to Iceland in a few weeks with some). I've been to two weddings of friends I've made through here. There's been relationships, hook-ups, drama, arguments...but I'm so glad I joined boards all those years ago. It's really helped me develop a fantastic circle of friends who have been with me through ups and downs.

Yay boards!

*solitary tear rolls down cheek*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

RedXIV wrote: »
    Boards introduced me to my fiancée, and is the reason I've a family :)

I've made a number of friends that I'd meet on occasion in the real world.

I got my first professional job through it :)

I'd like to think I helped quite a few people too, I do try to help when I see topics i'm confident about

I feel like a Boards under-achiever! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I feel like a Boards under-achiever! :)

I am the ultimate Boards under - dog :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well I would like more friends with like minded interests, but sure i don't live in the Pale so it'll never happen cause all the "Beers" are in Dublin :(

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Cormac... wrote: »
    Well I would like more friends with like minded interests, but sure i don't live in the Pale so it'll never happen cause all the "Beers" are in Dublin :(

No, there are regional beers, and plenty of forum beers outside the pale. AH had beers in Galway for a few years running if I recall correctly.

Cormac... wrote: »

Not true. The next beers I'm going to is in Galway. :D

Where are ya based? I'll be your friend as long as you're not a smelly gamer.

Neyite wrote: »
    No, there are regional beers, and plenty of forum beers outside the pale. AH had beers in Galway for a few years running if I recall correctly.

Galway is equally far away :D
    Sure anyhow what would I be doing in the Cork forums? :pac:
    Playing 6-a-side soccer it seems :o
    Where are ya based? I'll be your friend as long as you're not a smelly gamer.

Fallen at the 1st hurdle there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Been here nearly 10 years and haven't made many friends.............*sniff*..........but I don't really think about that or how people perceive me here. I don't see any of my friends for months at a time so hanging out here seeing the usual posters or whoever else keeps the social side of things ticking :pac:

Boards has helped me articulate and think about my own opinions on subjects a lot, some posters are able to put into words exactly how I might feel or think about something far better than I could at the time which helps me to carry that into real-life and build on it.

I keep meaning to show up for a Boards beers so next time in Galway I probably will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Been here nearly 10 years and haven't made many friends.............*sniff*..........

Well if the ejaculating penis that you have set as your location was a bit larger then you might make a few more friends.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Well if the ejaculating penis that you have set as your location was a bit larger then you might make a few more friends.

I had to go and have a look!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

smash wrote: »

I always forget that's there until someone brings it up.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I always forget that's there until someone brings it up

Same with your real penis too so! Zing!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

I can safety say that I've made some great friends from here - have met 6 in person. it's a pleasure to know them:) Have got some great advice here ranging from college, asperger's, break ups and more. boards is my place to chat, relax, give information, learn some new things and help others where I can:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Funny thing about boards is that whilst it is easy enough to make friends, or to get to know and like other posters, it is insanely easy to get riled up and develop a deep dislike for some other posters.
    It is like the real world, but greatly exaggerated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

A few have come and gone, fewer have stuck! Going to Canada during the summer with a friend I met through boards, to visit friends we know through boards!

Funny thing about boards is that whilst it is easy enough to make friends, or to get to know and like other posters, it is insanely easy to get riled up and develop a deep dislike for some other posters.
    It is like the real world, but greatly exaggerated.

Hah! I know what you mean. I'd say a lot of people on Boards hate me. I have a feeling I come across as kind of a dick. I'm probably kind of a dick in real life too, but I'm also moderately charming which takes the edge off. Charm ain't worth sh*t on Boards. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

'd say a lot of people on Boards hate me. I have a feeling I come across as kind of a dick. I'm probably kind of a dick in real life too, but I'm also moderately charming which takes the edge off. :D

Who are you again?

anncoates wrote: »
    Who are you again?

I'm a dude, who looks like a dude pretending he's another dude.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm listening to this reading all the replies for dramatic effect.

I must have met over a thousand boardsies by now and have had a great time in that decade. Met my best friend through here and for that alone I thank boards.
    It's a great place, I still meet new people from here and hang out with old ones. I still remember my first post in and my first beers in 2004, it all started there. Friends housemates, girlfriend, laughing and crying. I've seen peopel go out of their way to help others, babies being born, marriages, friends die. I Learned a lot. And no matter what problems I have with anything here, boards is the best. The difference between it and other forums is community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Met my lovely neighbour on here just over a year ago, by working out she lived close by based on how much her bus fare is :pac:. I'd heard rumours that there were "others" in the neighbourhood but thought that people just got the Irish mixed up with other English speaking nationalities. We're actually not friends on here though, I'm a lone wolf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I'm a bear , so in real life nobody would go near me, only if i was in captivity. Otherwise I'd probably maul them if they came across me, so boards is great for me and all of you because it isn't a life threatening encounter .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I don't really post on here often enough to make friends and given the absolute ****e I come out I don't think anyone would want to meet me either.

Boards is where I come when I'm feeling a bit lonely tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I definitely have not made any friends on Boards, but that's not to say I don't engage. I'm a hit-and-run* kind of poster. I honestly start to feel uncomfortable with too much back and forth with any one poster. I'd like to think I contribute though, but I'm not looking for friendships.

I could well be known as a good contributor in one forum in particular, but I'd say that's it.

I absolutely love Boards, and have learned loads. It is my go to site for anything I can't turn up myself on google, and if I'm making a trip anywhere, I search here first for hotel and other recommendations and then take it from there. There must be a forum here for almost everyone and I love when I stumble across a really niche section and discover how active it is.

Yes, some posters annoy me, but having frequented a site that was nearly exclusively female for years, I'm happy with the moderation and can just ignore the few idiots.

*Legs it in case anyone tries to engage.

Hah! I know what you mean. I'd say a lot of people on Boards hate me. I have a feeling I come across as kind of a dick. I'm probably kind of a dick in real life too, but I'm also moderately charming which takes the edge off. Charm ain't worth sh*t on Boards. :D

Anyone who posts in the soccer forum is gonna be seen as aggressive.

Did you not see the drama that unfolded last night?

We are all a pack of kindred gowls

• Advertisement
Advertisement