Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

3 pin plug for iPad charger

• 03-04-2015 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've moved from Japan and brought my iPad with me. I bought it there, and it came with the plug for Japanese sockets, which looks like this:

ipad-usb-charger.jpg

So now I need to get a 3 pin charger, and I am wondering if either/both of the following are ok, and which people feel are better:

P12989712664561_811493436_large.jpg
    or

MD812?wid=400&hei=400&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp&.v=1400693482396

The latter is a picture taken from apple Ireland's website, but I wonder if it is a plug or also an adapter, and if I need one for my Japanese iPad.

Finally, is the apple website the only place to pick up these things?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

The second one is for iPhone. It will charge your iPad but more slowly than the first one. The first one is for iPad.

I have a US adaptor and I just have a converter. I'll get around to getting a 3 pin at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The top one is an iPad charger, the bottom an iPhone charger. The iPhone charger will only charge the iPad really slowly, but the iPad charger will charge an iPhone really quickly. Pick up the top one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Cheers folks - I actually got the chance to use the bottom one just a few minutes ago, and it didn't seem to be charging at all. It is 5W and the one from Japan is 12W - so i'll look for a 12W one, from the apple store if I can't find it cheaper elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

osarusan wrote: »
    Cheers folks - I actually got the chance to use the bottom one just a few minutes ago, and it didn't seem to be charging at all. It is 5W and the one from Japan is 12W - so i'll look for a 12W one, from the apple store if I can't find it cheaper elsewhere.

Just get it from the Apple store. I know it's more pricey, but you know its the real deal :D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Any 12 watt usb charger will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

You probably don't need to buy anything. Just plug out the Japanese socket, find a figure 8 power cable (old radio, speaker for example), and use that instead.

This is a figure 8 power cable. They're cheap as hell too.

Whatever you do, don't waste your money buying another charger!!

Cathalog wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't waste your money buying another charger!!

Does the Japanese two pin slide out of the body of the charger like the European one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Does the Japanese two pin slide out of the body of the charger like the European one?

Judging by the pic, I'm going to say yes.

Not 100% sure though. That might be an oversight on my part.

Cathalog wrote: »
    Judging by the pic, I'm going to say yes.

Not 100% sure though. That might be an oversight on my part.

No you are on the ball, the body of the two look identical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes it does.

I was hoping to buy only the three pin part that slides into the body of the charger, but that seems to be difficult.

I found the right one in PC World online, so I will visit a shop today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Yes they all do. Apple sell a travel kit for it with all the various plug configurations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Amazon sell their own brand of popular chargers and cables called Amazon Basics.

They're obviously much cheaper than Apple and I've found them to be just as good. They have long cables too so you can plug in and use your iPad if you're sat near enough to a wall socket.

The unbranded chargers and cables they sell are definitely hit and miss, quality wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

osarusan wrote: »
    I was hoping to buy only the three pin part that slides into the body of the charger, but that seems to be difficult.

The important part of the equipment is the larger piece which has the USB socket. As advised by Cathalog above, all you need is a power cable with a figure of 8 connector and a UK plug, any electrical shop will sell you one for a few euros. Buying another charger from Apple would be a criminal waste of money.

I have the iPad charger with the three pin UK plug and I have a power cable with a European two pin plug and a figure of 8 connector so when I'm travelling to France or Spain, I just take the UK plug off the charger and bring the rest of it with my power cable with the two-pin plug.

Advertisement