Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial electricity costs

Options
  • 03-04-2015 6:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, Not quite sure if this is the right area for this but however.

Soon I will be renting a space to set up a rehearsal studio. Its my first business so im just trying to gauge some general costs.

Does anybody on here have an idea of the average commercial electricity bill in Ireland, as in, is the standing charge higher than domestic? if so a comparison would be a great help. Obviously usage is the key factor here but I cant gauge that yet.

Some of your own commercial electricity situations would be ideal.

Any relative information/ tips would be a great help

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Pricing will depend on whether the supply is single or 3 phase and the load/max demand profile. Ask Electric Ireland about your specific premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ananth1978

I'm not in Ireland at present. Hence, I don't have a MPRN yet. I'll be moving to Ireland next month. I'm doing my research to find out more about business electricity to decide on my options. I'll be living in Cork.

I would be running a server which consumes 1KW/ h. This will be running 24 x 7 (approx 9000 units / year). Depending on the electricity costs, I might be adding up to 5 such servers (totaling 5 KW/h)

If anyone could clarify the following, it'll be of a big help.

- If my consumption would be 9000 units/year, then could I still be a residential customer?
    - Could I switch to a business electricity plan, even on a residential address?
    - If I choose a business location, then would a single-phase supply be enough for 5 KW/h machines?
    - What is the business electricity tariff for both single phase and 3 phase supply, for annual consumption of 9000 to 45,000 units / year? Would it be cheaper than the nightsaver rate of 11c per unit?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

ananth1978 wrote: »
    I'm not in Ireland at present. Hence, I don't have a MPRN yet. I'll be moving to Ireland next month. I'm doing my research to find out more about business electricity to decide on my options. I'll be living in Cork.

I would be running a server which consumes 1KW/ h. This will be running 24 x 7 (approx 9000 units / year). Depending on the electricity costs, I might be adding up to 5 such servers (totaling 5 KW/h)

- If my consumption would be 9000 units/year, then could I still be a residential customer?
    - If I choose a business location, then would a single-phase supply be enough for 5 KW/h machines?
    - What is the business electricity tariff for both single phase and 3 phase supply, for annual consumption of 9000 to 45,000 units / year? Would it be cheaper than the nightsaver rate of 11c per unit?

Thanks

5kW is not much for the electricity company In an urban area but you would need to be sure the wiring could take a sustained load of this size. You would also need to consider cooling. It’s a lot of heat.

You can’t by and large switch a residential premises to a business tariff. There is a way to do it but it would not be to your advantage.

Your questions are very general about cost. It really depends on connection characteristics and supplier. Maybe these very general statistics would be of help?

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Electricity_price_statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭KildareP

Thanks
    Better question might be - what is the server going to be doing?

1kW is definitely on the high end of the scale for server power draw - generally it would only be pulling 1kW if it had dual CPU's with a ton of cores and a high end GPU and all were absolutely maxed out 100% doing simulations (or mining bitcoin!) Possibly also if it was a disc array with 30+ rotating drives.
    Power draw when the CPU's are idle will be significantly less.

By way of example a 42u rack in a datacentre would typically be provisioned with 16A supplies, which is about 3.6kW of power.

If though the server will genuinely be pulling 1kW constantly then it's going to have to go into an air conditioned room separate from workspaces. 1kW of draw is going to be kicking out a serious amount of heat and the internal fans will be making an almighty racket, frankly you couldn't sit next to it for an 8 hour working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ananth1978

Thanks for the inputs.

This is a high end device which could be used for computations or gaming or mining crypto. Yes, it does consist of several GPUs and each having several cores. The entire unit is liquid cooled and hence heat is not an issue.

I guess I'll have to contact each supplier and see what's the best they can offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Thanks for the inputs.

This is a high end device which could be used for computations or gaming or mining crypto. Yes, it does consist of several GPUs and each having several cores. The entire unit is liquid cooled and hence heat is not an issue.

I guess I'll have to contact each supplier and see what's the best they can offer.

If this is for residential, have a look in bonkers.ie and you will see the likely prices. Commercial will be a bit different, but not that much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Budget 18 cent a unit for electricity and probably 1 euro a day for a standing charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

lomb wrote: »
    Budget 18 cent a unit for electricity and probably 1 euro a day for a standing charge.

^^Good rule of thumb. Commercial electricity rates are a bit of PITA as I've found most companies don't advertise them and require you to request a quote. I have used a service called utility fair (google it) and have been happy enough with the service. Basically a middle-man/broker that gets quotes from all the providers and offers you a contract. I have no connection whatsoever with them but worked out for me.

Jim

Advertisement