Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't say it enough guys - source locally!

Options
  • 03-04-2015 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

So I have to admit I'm getting quite good at this. Already the local producers are turfing out loads of grub & it is delicious. The difference between the supermarket product and something grown down the road is amazing.
    I have 2 organic guys that supply me with all sorts of veg, fruit and berries & one semi organic (would be organic in Europe but not here - hydroponic).
    Last night I was delivered 2 bags of mixed salad, 2 bags of kale, 2 bags of spinach, 2 jars of wild garlic & cashew pesto for a cost of €15.
    The stuff tastes great, is pesticide free (an issue for vegans due to the amount we eat) and lasts way past the week in the fridge.

Use the members database here, cut out the expensive middle man and get yourself some high quality organic grub.

Stuff on our food is bad
    Especially roundup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Yes, but generally a vegan/vegetarian diet requires foods that aren't grown locally for nutrition. You can avoid stuff like roundup if you are selective.

In terms of environmental impact, the cost of transport does mitigate the benefit of veg- diets. With this taken into account, a vegan diet has about 33% less carbon emissions involved, and a vegetarian one about 20% less (according to an article in The Guardian as far as I remember). That is still a significant benefit, though personally I would have imagined the environmental benefits to be greater.

Advertisement