Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs barking in new home.

• 03-04-2015 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Having just moved to a new home neighbours are complaining that our two dogs are barking continuously when we are out.

Muzzles have been suggested but I think that that would be a cruel infliction on elderly dogs.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Have you set up a camera or anything to see if they are actually continuously? Or could it be that they're barking say at the postman etc? I've used Skype a few times to check in on my dog. Set up one account for you and one for the dogs, set theirs to auto answer any calls from your account and you can skype them from your phone or another computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Never put a muzzle on a dog inside your abode, that would be insane indeed.

Are both of the dogs enclosed in a room together when you are gone ?. or do they have access to the front room - sitting room with a view ?

Your dogs are watching their master leave the den, and will bark seeing you leave from the pack. Dogs are very affectionate and can/will bark all day if left on their own for even a short period of time.

Think, and figure the reason for your predicament, They don't like being left alone for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Condatis wrote: »
    Having just moved to a new home neighbours are complaining that our two dogs are barking continuously when we are out.

Muzzles have been suggested but I think that that would be a cruel infliction on elderly dogs.

Any suggestions?

You cannot muzzle a dog and then leave it unattended.. It's dangerous. What if they need water etc.

Answer would be leave them inside, in the kitchen secure?

If you cannot put full-time into looking after one dog - never mind two, then you should seek full accommodation elsewhere to give them a real life instead of being used as a watchdog or an ornament. It takes a sh!t load of work to train them, never mind just using them as protection for your abode.

heard this sh!t before... Why do you think they are barking ? basically they are not getting the exercise and human companionship they want/need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

If you cannot put full-time into looking after one dog - never mind two, then you should seek full accommodation elsewhere to give them a real life instead of being used as a watchdog or an ornament. It takes a sh!t load of work to train them, never mind just using them as protection for your abode.

heard this sh!t before... Why do you think they are barking ? basically they are not getting the exercise and human companionship they want/need.

I'm assuming the OP goes out to work, to feed the dogs, pay for vet treatment etc. I'm guessing you don't actually mean that dog owners should never leave their pet alone, and shouldn't work? Rescues and pounds are full to bursting with dogs looking for homes, I think it would be far more useful to try and help the OP to keep the dogs, rather than advocate getting rid of them.

OP, if its only a new behaviour, it could just be that they are getting used to the new sights, sounds and smells, and they may settle down. However, if your neighbours are giving you hassle already, then, if you can do what tk123 suggested, it will at least let you see why and when they are barking. I'd also have a chat with the neighbours, apologise if the dogs are being a nuisance, explain they aren't usually, and they are just getting used to their new home. Maybe do so with a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine, I think people will put up with a lot when they feel they are being listened to, and someone is trying to fix a problem.

Muzzles won't stop barking anyway. Where are the dogs kept while you're out, are they in the house, or out in the garden? Are they exercised well before you go out? Do you leave anything for them, such as stuffed kongs, to keep them occupied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

So is the OP to take it that the general surmisal is to re-home their dogs? Seems unfair to the OP and to any charities/organisations etc.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I'd also have a chat with the neighbours, apologise if the dogs are being a nuisance, explain they aren't usually, and they are just getting used to their new home. Maybe do so with a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine, I think people will put up with a lot when they feel they are being listened to, and someone is trying to fix a problem.

Couldn't agree more, in the acute period keeping avenues of communication open is a must.

Of course you can't leave a muzzle on an unattended dog. What if they start coughing up and choking or need water. That's awful

No, leave skype on or record them a day and see what the story is.
    Also look for daycare options around where you are now living. Drop them off in the morning and pick them up after work. Even if it's not every day it should help
    OP, if its only a new behaviour, it could just be that they are getting used to the new sights, sounds and smells, and they may settle down. However, if your neighbours are giving you hassle already, then, if you can do what tk123 suggested, it will at least let you see why and when they are barking. I'd also have a chat with the neighbours, apologise if the dogs are being a nuisance, explain they aren't usually, and they are just getting used to their new home. Maybe do so with a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine, I think people will put up with a lot when they feel they are being listened to, and someone is trying to fix a problem.
    Completely agree with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, you haven't mentioned if the dogs are inside or outside.

It's quite possible that they're barking because their surroundings are still new - new noises, new smells. They may be able to hear other dogs in the area barking, which is setting them off, etc.
    Are they possibly nervous about the change? Dogs like to know where "home" is, so especially if they're living outside, they may still be adjusting and feel like they've been taken away from their home.

As mentioned, I would suggest setting up a web camera to record them for a couple of hours while you're out and see what they get up to.

A muzzle probably won't stop them barking and more than likely will make their anxiety and barking even worse. And of course you can't go out and leave a muzzle on the dog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Bongalongherb,
    Calm down please. You are making a massive assumption here based on information you haven't been provided with.
    Ask questions first. Then answer them respectfully.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

So is the OP to take it that the general surmisal is to re-home their dogs? Seems unfair to the OP and to any charities/organisations etc.

The OP should have thought of this before making the choice... regarding care-ability.

The OP should have thought of this before making the choice... regarding care-ability.

If I'm understanding the OP correctly they have recently moved home. It's not unreasonable that this will involve change, and in the acute period they're asking for advice.

Look. I over-reacted regarding the OP's situation, and I will formally forward an apology to the original poster.

My apologies.

I always seem to get up-tight when it comes to dogs especially.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Good for you bongalongherb, it's not often posters apologise around here, so fair play :)

Okay everyone, back on topic.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement