Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to college with kids. tips on how to make it work?

Options
  • 03-04-2015 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Can it be done?! I've an opportunity to do a degree course starting September. It will be 4 nights a week. I've 2 small kiddies and I'm really worried about whether it will affect them and even more so if I will stick to it?!
    I'm a stay at home mam at the minute so I'd love to do this course, just for myself, not even work. My worry is that I'm being unrealistic and i don't 'need' to do it and put us all under stress for 2 years. plus I'm not sure how I'd find time to study?!
    Any other parents of young kids that can give me some tips on how to balance a degree with the full on job of parenting. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

2 years @ 4 nights would be really tough - especially if you're not used to part-time study. I wouldn't even attempt something like that (I speak from many years experience of part-time study while balancing family & full-time job!)

If I were in your position (i.e. studying because you want to / sense of achievement), then I'd consider looking at a 3-4 year course with a more balanced workload - say something that was only two nights / week, for example.

That way, you'll probably learn a lot more, it will be more enjoyable and you'll be less stressed (if you're too stressed, that would defeat the purpose of doing it in the first place). You'll likely get better grades too (as long as you put in the work).

Most importantly of all, you'll still have time for your family.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Advertisement