Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test Experience Banking/Insurance

Options
  • 03-04-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I just passed the ISTQB CTFL. My experience is in Medical Devices and embedded.

I have to stay in Dublin due to parents needs. Most entry level jobs here require prior experience in Banking before they will consider you.

Can anyone please advise of places where I might be able to get banking test experience without having had prior banking experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Hmm. A lot of testers I encountered cut their teeth in banking/insurance before going Big/Hi-tech. Mind you that was a while back. Have you any other computing qualifications?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sten_gun

jimgoose wrote: »
    Hmm. A lot of testers I encountered cut their teeth in banking/insurance before going Big/Hi-tech. Mind you that was a while back. Have you any other computing qualifications?

I did a fair bit of embedded C and C++/Qt/QWT/STL and a little C#, but in stand alone applications only - again not much demand for that around Dublin, more web focused.
    Originally was focused on I.T. in the context of Factory Automation - touch screen control of equipment with database connectivity etc - but no real growth there since 2008...

Could you please list some typical places where testers get started - maybe my mistake is concentrating too much on agency websites like irishjobs.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

sten_gun wrote: »
    I did a fair bit of embedded C and C++/Qt/QWT/STL and a little C#, but in stand alone applications only - again not much demand for that around Dublin, more web focused.
    Originally was focused on I.T. in the context of Factory Automation - touch screen control of equipment with database connectivity etc - but no real growth there since 2008...

Could you please list some typical places where testers get started - maybe my mistake is concentrating too much on agency websites like irishjobs.ie?

Oh all sorts of banks and insurance places, IIRC - the usual big banks around here, Prudential, Aviva and so forth. It sounds to me like you should be able to wangle your way into testing just about anywhere. It's of enormous benefit to be able to blather on for hours about Software Reliability Engineering, proof-of-program-correctness, this sort of thing - John D. Musa Ph.D is your man for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sten_gun

Using the banks and the Insurance company section of the golden pages as a guide, only found
    one suitable possibility.

Slim pickings...

Advertisement