Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony have banned my PSN account

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

BBC watchdog helped me when Sony would refuse to fix my self cracking screen on xperia phone. Cracks showed up 3day since I bought the god damn thing. When they refused to fix the phone I sent them articles and video copied from youtube(BBC watchdog about the issue) and only then the fixed the screen.
    At first they asked me to pay 220€ for a fix.

No more Sony toys for me since then. And I had few of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

twinsen wrote: »
    BBC watchdog helped me when Sony would refuse to fix my self cracking screen on xperia phone. Cracks showed up 3day since I bought the god damn thing. When they refused to fix the phone I sent them articles and video copied from youtube(BBC watchdog about the issue) and only then the fixed the screen.
    At first they asked me to pay 220€ for a fix.

No more Sony toys for me since then. And I had few of them

It sucks as the PS4 is my console of choice now and I adore the PS3 but if someone came up and said here it's better or just as good I'd be well gone from Sony, same with Apple, if they're software wasn't so good I'd never have an iPhone or iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

sorry to bump the thread but OP any chance you can fill us in on how you got on ? had the same thing happen to me last night , my password was changed , and 2 purchases made totalling just over €150 , i couldn't ring sony as their helpline was closed so i rang PayPal and they removed my account from PSN then i rang my bank who cancelled my card and said i will be refunded in a few days

Its awful that as a victim of a crime which at the end of the day is Sonys fault for not having secure enough servers they are then rubbing salt in the wounds by acting like this to said victim of crime , i have had every single PlayStation and a PSP, if they don't deal with this fairly then im done with them and i WILL take them to a small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    sorry to bump the thread but OP any chance you can fill us in on how you got on ? had the same thing happen to me last night , my password was changed , and 2 purchases made totalling just over €150 , i couldn't ring sony as their helpline was closed so i rang PayPal and they removed my account from PSN then i rang my bank who cancelled my card and said i will be refunded in a few days

Its awful that as a victim of a crime which at the end of the day is Sonys fault for not having secure enough servers they are then rubbing salt in the wounds by acting like this to said victim of crime , i have had every single PlayStation and a PSP, if they don't deal with this fairly then im done with them and i WILL take them to a small claims court

They could make it more secure with 2-step to prevent this but at the end of the day no one hacked into Sony and took your account details they likely got it through another means.

They actually are adding 2-step authentication soon as it was found in the last patch but it's not a legal requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Youll almost definitely have your own account deactivated if you're getting a refund from your bank.

The hackers would have gotten your details from you. Whether it's a friend or someone who has got your details through malware on your PC.

It's your fault, Sony make this quite clear in their T&Cs.

No refunds, no nothing. It's tough luck basically by their standards.

• Advertisement

well the 100 euro order was a pre order so that is being refunded.. the 50 euro one was a PSN for one year so it comes to it il repay it & use it , got back into my account today & just on the hold on phone to PayPal now to try let them let the payments go thru

Its My fault??

Yeah its my fault that some little d1ck decides to mess about with my account , well I've learned my lesson I'm sure you read and understand every single t&c on everything you get

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Well they didn't get it details out of thin air. Run malwarebytes on your just incase that's where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I pretty much gave up on Sony.
    I used to call them once a week to see if they could unblock me but it was always the same answer, I had to pay €40
    I scrapped any plans of getting a PS4 because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I pretty much gave up on Sony.
    I used to call them once a week to see if they could unblock me but it was always the same answer, I had to pay €40
    I scrapped any plans of getting a PS4 because of this.

Could you get around the problem by creating a new email and new psn account and have a blank slate with a ps4?

I have done that but I dont have access to some games on my other account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Wow, just after reading this thread from start to finish and there is no way I'll be going near Sony for the PS4 Neo after reading this.

I had forgotten how horrible Sony are when it comes to consumer rights and support, particularly when it comes to fraudulent uses of PSN accounts.

I am shocked they still get away with this 'no refunds' policy. Its completely anti consumer.

After making customers jump through hoops for weeks if you do get a successful refund from Sony (blood from stone) they ban your account out of spite :mad:

I'll be sticking with Xbox. The support and refunds poilcy is fantastic in comparison. When I needed a refund I got it in one very short support web chat in 5 minutes. No hassle at all.

I really wish Sony customers would call them out of this bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Isn't there an EU directive where you can return digital goods within 14 days of purchase? I know Apple & Google do it.

Unless, PSN make you waive that right when you click purchase.

retweet wrote: »
    Isn't there an EU directive where you can return digital goods within 14 days of purchase? I know Apple & Google do it.

Unless, PSN make you waive that right when you click purchase.

I had pages of precedents set up here on my computer ready to throw at them today and ready to threaten small claims court etc with them but to be fair today they were very good, they said it was obvious my account was hacked as the person had changed the email account too , i had to ring PayPal again and they haven't cancelled the transactions yet just put them on hold so hopefully that means Sony hasn't penalised me

an awful lot of hoops to jump thru and I'm away on holiday in 2 weeks so could be really doing with the cash back by then.. but im not holding my breath

Ive changed my password and im going to change my email too .. but ill never use a card with Sony again

See they checked the purchase and saw that it was PS4 game purchased from a US store onto a PS4 based in the US, I didn't have a PS4 yet it was still my fault that someone was able to make the purchase with my account details.

A few years ago there was a fraudulent activity with my Xbox account and a lot of games were purchased, came to about €160ish. I contacted Microsoft and they were quick to sort it out, no hassle at all

Wow, just after reading this thread from start to finish and there is no way I'll be going near Sony for the PS4 Neo after reading this.

I had forgotten how horrible Sony are when it comes to consumer rights and support, particularly when it comes to fraudulent uses of PSN accounts.

I am shocked they still get away with this 'no refunds' policy. Its completely anti consumer.

After making customers jump through hoops for weeks if you do get a successful refund from Sony (blood from stone) they ban your account out of spite

I'll be sticking with Xbox. The support and refunds poilcy is fantastic in comparison. When I needed a refund I got it in one very short support web chat in 5 minutes. No hassle at all.

After making customers jump through hoops for weeks if you do get a successful refund from Sony (blood from stone) they ban your account out of spite

What about when MS banned people for playing their legally purchased copy of GTAV? I received a review copy of the game and MS banned my condule as a result. Multiple calls to them but was told though luck. On the PS3 the servers went online early.

Also had an issue where two genres were bought on my MS account. Rang up and was told that it was my own fault for not securing the account properly and that I would not get a refund.

Both are as bad as the other, though in cases such as someone's card being used out account accessed there's no one to blame but yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Happened to me a bit over a month ago, found support to be useless. They offered to refund me half the amount to my PSN wallet. This wasn't good enough so I charged back the account.

Haven't been banned for some reason, so I got all the money back (260) plus 150 to my PSN wallet.

Still don't recommend charging back the account unless you're willing to get banned.

What about when MS banned people for playing their legally purchased copy of GTAV? I received a review copy of the game and MS banned my condule as a result. Multiple calls to them but was told though luck. On the PS3 the servers went online early.

Also had an issue where two genres were bought on my MS account. Rang up and was told that it was my own fault for not securing the account properly and that I would not get a refund.

Both are as bad as the other, though in cases such as someone's card being used out account accessed there's no one to blame but yourself.

This isn't a Microsoft issue. Refunds are a built in process of Xbox so its a non issue in relation to Microsoft.

I wouldn't be quick to blame people for fraudulent activity on their PSN accounts. We all know security isn't great on the PSN network.

We are talking about a digital product. Its ridiculous to have a policy to not refund money when a fraudulent purchase has been made. They can remove the game/s from any library instantly so absolutely nothing is lost.

What really grinds my gears is reading posts online from gamers who were lucky enough to get a refund from Sony after months of annoying correspondence then have their account banned by Sony. All their digital purchases are gone. Thats criminal stuff.

I am shocked that a Sony customer would point over at Microsoft instead of saying Yes, that is messed up.

Happened to me a bit over a month ago, found support to be useless. They offered to refund me half the amount to my PSN wallet. This wasn't good enough so I charged back the account.

Haven't been banned for some reason, so I got all the money back (260) plus 150 to my PSN wallet.

Still don't recommend charging back the account unless you're willing to get banned.

if you do get banned can you just make a new account ???

as someone said earlier in this thread i will take them to the small claims court if they do me over on this , so far they are being positive saying it is obvious fraud etc and one of the games that got bought isn't even out yet it was a preorder the other thing they bought was a years PSN which if it comes to it id be willing to pay for .. but ultimately i want my €160 back, i have a holiday booked in 3 weeks and need every cent for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Why would somebody hack your account and then buy you Plus membership with your own card?
    It's like a lad stealing a wallet and then using the money inside to pay for the victims bills.

if you do get banned can you just make a new account ???

as someone said earlier in this thread i will take them to the small claims court if they do me over on this , so far they are being positive saying it is obvious fraud etc and one of the games that got bought isn't even out yet it was a preorder the other thing they bought was a years PSN which if it comes to it id be willing to pay for .. but ultimately i want my €160 back, i have a holiday booked in 3 weeks and need every cent for it

You can make a new account, but you'll lose any games you bought digitally on the last account, and PS+ if you're subbed to it.

• Advertisement

Why would somebody hack your account and then buy you Plus membership with your own card?
    It's like a lad stealing a wallet and then using the money inside to pay for the victims bills.

yeah the sony guy said he was obviously just messing about as he could have done a lot worse

You can make a new account, but you'll lose any games you bought digitally on the last account, and PS+ if you're subbed to it.

if they don't refund me fully to my bank account I will get it back from PayPal & i will make a new account & in meantime prepare to take them to the small claims court, I have a small fortune spent on digital downloads , I imagine the small claims court would be a hassle to figure out where to start etc but im a determined type :)

its also another obvious pointer to fraud as I have a few months PSN left so why would I buy a years worth

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

its also another obvious pointer to fraud as I have a few months PSN left so why would I buy a years worth

Not really, some people stack up their subscriptions for different reasons.

I am shocked that a Sony customer would point over at Microsoft instead of saying Yes, that is messed up.

What did I say it wasn't? I pointed out that I had the exact same situation with MS. Someone used my account and MS told me tough luck, no refund. The only company I know who will refund any purchases made on a compromised account is EA. Steam don't, MS and Sony don't do it automatically either.

I have both an Xbox and a PS4 and have no brand loyalty but honestly have had more hassle with MS than I have Sony.

What did I say it wasn't? I pointed out that I had the exact same situation with MS. Someone used my account and MS told me tough luck, no refund. The only company I know who will refund any purchases made on a compromised account is EA. Steam don't, MS and Sony don't do it automatically either.

I have both an Xbox and a PS4 and have no brand loyalty but honestly have had more hassle with MS than I have Sony.

Steam actually do have an automated refund system provided the game hasn't been downloaded, or played for less than 2 hours.

Microsoft do have refunds for compromised accounts. One poster earlier confirmed that and I know 2 others that have the same experience.

Anyway the issue is Sony's horrible stance which is most certainly against consumer law in the EU. No refunds for digital purchases made by fraud is ridiculous and shameful.

Microsoft do have refunds for compromised accounts. One poster earlier confirmed that and I know 2 others that have the same experience.

Anyway the issue is Sony's horrible stance which is most certainly against consumer law in the EU. No refunds for digital purchases made by fraud is ridiculous and shameful.

Their policy isn't no refunds for fraud, they will refund it if it's definitely fraud. You just need to be able to prove that it was fraud. Plus, they'll also refund the amount of any game to your PSN wallet, no questions asked, provided it wasn't downloaded, and purchased within the past two weeks.

MS and Sony are still both terrible companies for customer support, you can't defend the practices of one, while defending the other even though they're both similar.

Steam actually do have an automated refund system provided the game hasn't been downloaded, or played for less than 2 hours.

Fat lot of good that helps someone whose account was compromised and the game played. The new changes are a step in the right direction but any purchases made on a compromised account should be refunded no questions asked.

Microsoft do have refunds for compromised accounts. One poster earlier confirmed that and I know 2 others that have the same experience

MS refused point black to refund me a cent and told me that if I did a charge back they would ban my account. So no different to Sony.

• Advertisement

Their policy isn't no refunds for fraud, they will refund it if it's definitely fraud. You just need to be able to prove that it was fraud. Plus, they'll also refund the amount of any game to your PSN wallet, no questions asked, provided it wasn't downloaded, and purchased within the past two weeks.

MS and Sony are still both terrible companies for customer support, you can't defend the practices of one, while defending the other even though they're both similar.

Microsoft support is excellent. It's one thing they actually do amazingly well.

This isnt the first post I have read about Sony's non refunding stance for compromised accounts. I read hundreds of posts.
    It's an insanely long drawn out process to get a refund from Sony. They also bully their customers by saying if they attempt a charge back they'll close their PSN account. Some users that unfortunately didn't get a refund did charge backs and Sony closed their accounts.

I think we all agree that they need to change this.

Advertisement