Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony have banned my PSN account

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Their policy isn't no refunds for fraud, they will refund it if it's definitely fraud. You just need to be able to prove that it was fraud. Plus, they'll also refund the amount of any game to your PSN wallet, no questions asked, provided it wasn't downloaded, and purchased within the past two weeks.

MS and Sony are still both terrible companies for customer support, you can't defend the practices of one, while defending the other even though they're both similar.

considering that the 2 purchases made using my account , - 1 was for a game that isn't out yet , and the other is for a years PSN, would you say in your opinion that should be a pretty open and shut case for me? I'm hoping so, as I will not accept a refund to PS wallet , as I said I need the cash for my holiday, they told me to ring back around Thursday, I think ill do it about Tuesday I'm very impatient with things like these

Also does anyone else think that the fact that a subscription service like PSN doesn't have 24/7 phone support is awful? their lines close at 7PM and aren't open on a Sunday at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    considering that the 2 purchases made using my account , - 1 was for a game that isn't out yet , and the other is for a years PSN, would you say in your opinion that should be a pretty open and shut case for me? I'm hoping so, as I will not accept a refund to PS wallet , as I said I need the cash for my holiday, they told me to ring back around Thursday, I think ill do it about Tuesday I'm very impatient with things like these

Also does anyone else think that the fact that a subscription service like PSN doesn't have 24/7 phone support is awful? their lines close at 7PM and aren't open on a Sunday at all .

They'll take the IDs of your consoles, and check IPs and stuff and that's how they'll determine whether it was fraud or not. What was bought won't really matter.
    Microsoft support is excellent. It's one thing they actually do amazingly well.

This isnt the first post I have read about Sony's non refunding stance for compromised accounts. I read hundreds of posts.
    It's an insanely long drawn out process to get a refund from Sony. They also bully their customers by saying if they attempt a charge back they'll close their PSN account. Some users that unfortunately didn't get a refund did charge backs and Sony closed their accounts.

I think we all agree that they need to change this.

MS's support is far from excellent. Just like Sony's there are cases of good customer support agents and bad ones, but their policies are similar.

You charge back on MS and you can be sure they'll ban you too. These companies can't have customers charging back every little mistaken purchase, or game they decided they didn't like. It's silly to call it bullying.

They'll take the IDs of your consoles, and check IPs and stuff and that's how they'll determine whether it was fraud or not. What was bought won't really matter.

the guy on the phone said the call of duty €110 pre-order should be easily refundable as it isnt even out yet to download it but the psn sub might be different ,
    if it comes to it I'll take the PSN credit hit.. as at least it's something I will use some day. if they try and offer me anything else less I will do a chargeback and start the process of taking them to a small claims court .

well I rang twice today and both times they said it was obvious to them that it was fraud , they could see the email was changed on my account before both purchases and they could see that the PS4 that the hacker used wasn't mine or registered to me , but I guess its just a waiting & crossing fingers game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    the guy on the phone said the call of duty €110 pre-order should be easily refundable as it isnt even out yet to download it but the psn sub might be different ,
    if it comes to it I'll take the PSN credit hit.. as at least it's something I will use some day. if they try and offer me anything else less I will do a chargeback and start the process of taking them to a small claims court .

well I rang twice today and both times they said it was obvious to them that it was fraud , they could see the email was changed on my account before both purchases and they could see that the PS4 that the hacker used wasn't mine or registered to me , but I guess its just a waiting & crossing fingers game now.

By easily refundable he might have meant refunded as a wallet code, because it wasn't downloaded so they'll do it no problem. Sounds hopeful for your fraud claim, it'll probably take them a few days for them to fully check it out.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I find the best way to manage my Sony account is just to never leave an active payment option stored. I pay for things manually, & then remove the details when I'm done. I had an issue with a purchase a few years back & found them pretty poor to deal with. Since then I've just left no payment option saved, & never will again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Microsoft do have refunds for compromised accounts. One poster earlier confirmed that and I know 2 others that have the same experience.

Anyway the issue is Sony's horrible stance which is most certainly against consumer law in the EU. No refunds for digital purchases made by fraud is ridiculous and shameful.

It would be against consumer law if it that was the "horrible stance" Sony took - they don't/can't...

Only if the account shows evidence of compromise will MS refund - and that takes around 2 weeks to check before making a decision as to whether they will or won't...

If a sale comes from that person's console and that person is saying they didn't make that purchase and MS can see that they did - they won't refund for it... It's the same policy as Sony!

They don't refund purchases willy nilly, I worked there long enough to know that they are slightly more lenient with it - if it's the case of an Xbox One game accidentally purchased they can revoke the game licence there and then on the call, they can't on 360 games though, and it's in most cases down to a supervisor discretion, not the agent on the phone...

Sony will do the exact same as MS and refund if they can prove it themselves with their own tools that the account was compromised and purchases made were not the customers, or on a different machine/IP...

Unfortunately I don't think Sony's backend tools are as good as MS' for that stuff but I don't know, I never worked for Sony... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I still remember Microsoft flat out banning my Xbox account when they charged me for Xbox live on an expired credit card of mine. Now that was my fault, I didn't want to continue with Xbox Live so let them try to charge to an expired account but instead of removing me from the service they just totally banned me from their service and from access to the games I legally purchased.

So Microsoft can be total dicks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Retr0gamer wrote:
    So Microsoft can be total dicks as well.

That happened me a few years ago too but all I had to do was ring customer care and update my card info and I was good to go again. No biggie. They didn't even back charge me and I think I got away with 3 years of free live at one stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    That happened me a few years ago too but all I had to do was ring customer care and update my card info and I was good to go again. No biggie. They didn't even back charge me and I think I got away with 3 years of free live at one stage

I highly doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I highly doubt that.

You can doubt all you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Microsoft support is excellent. It's one thing they actually do amazingly well.

This isnt the first post I have read about Sony's non refunding stance for compromised accounts. I read hundreds of posts.
    It's an insanely long drawn out process to get a refund from Sony. They also bully their customers by saying if they attempt a charge back they'll close their PSN account. Some users that unfortunately didn't get a refund did charge backs and Sony closed their accounts.

I think we all agree that they need to change this.
    Never forget what Microsoft did to our brother north....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sorry to resurrect an oldish thread.

I've been banned from my PSN account. Woke up Friday morning to an email from Sony, confirming that my username for the PSN had been changed successfully. I thought it might have been spam. Then, i noticed I had an email from PayPal, confirming that €150 had been paid to Sony Computer Entertainment.

Straight away, I knew I was hacked. So I tried to log into the PS4 using my email address, and that had been changed too.

Not knowing about the TOS and Sony's crappy policies, I raised a dispute with PayPal to get the money back. Spent a load of time on the phone then to Sony to try and get my account back.

So the girl I was talking to reset the access to give me back control. I got an email to reset my password. I told her about PayPal, and she said that there may be a "chance" the account would get banned, and that I should ring Paypal directly and get the process stopped.

So I did, but it was too far into the process to stop.

So, when I try to change the password with Sony, I keep getting error messages, but nothing to say I was banned.

I emailed them yesterday, and today they contacted me back to confirm I was banned due to suspicious activity on my account. I'm going to report this to the Consumer Protection Commission. I have thousands spend on DLC and games down through the years, that I can no longer access, through no fault of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

gerrybbadd wrote: »

I've been banned from my PSN account. Woke up Friday morning to an email from Sony, confirming that my username for the PSN had been changed successfully. I thought it might have been spam. Then, i noticed I had an email from PayPal, confirming that €150 had been paid to Sony Computer Entertainment.

Straight away, I knew I was hacked. So I tried to log into the PS4 using my email address, and that had been changed too.

Not knowing about the TOS and Sony's crappy policies, I raised a dispute with PayPal to get the money back. Spent a load of time on the phone then to Sony to try and get my account back.

So the girl I was talking to reset the access to give me back control. I got an email to reset my password. I told her about PayPal, and she said that there may be a "chance" the account would get banned, and that I should ring Paypal directly and get the process stopped.

So, when I try to change the password with Sony, I keep getting error messages, but nothing to say I was banned.

I emailed them yesterday, and today they contacted me back to confirm I was banned due to suspicious activity on my account. I'm going to report this to the Consumer Protection Commission. I have thousands spend on DLC and games down through the years, that I can no longer access, through no fault of my own.
    Sorry to hear that mate. Its a cruel practice by Sony to punish people for proactively making an effort to get their fraudulent payments refunded.

Keep fighting I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

It's a disgraceful practice altogether. Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

If Sony don't allow you to access the games that you bought rightfully with your hard earned cash it makes them no better than the criminal hackers themselves.
    Hearing about this makes me want to stop buying games digitally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BigJimsCack

This has been commonplace recently. Quite a few people hacked on PSN and have had money taken usually €150 as well.

Keep fighting and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

So I just got off the phone with Sony CS.
    I told them I am looking to get a PS4 but would want my account unblocked first.
    They suggested I purchase €40 PS Play so that I could pay the charge I took back from when I got refunded from my bank.
    I told them I wasnt going to do this, i shouldnt have to pay for a game I never purchased for a console I didnt have at the time.

He then went on to say that he believes I want this account unbanned so that I can download the game that was purchased.
    To me this felt like he was saying that I was trying to get the game for free which is not true since I was told that the game was removed from my account, i felt like he was accusing me of trying to steal the game. I just want my account back, I was not happy with him and just ended up haning up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So I just got off the phone with Sony CS.
    I told them I am looking to get a PS4 but would want my account unblocked first.
    They suggested I purchase €40 PS Play so that I could pay the charge I took back from when I got refunded from my bank.
    I told them I wasnt going to do this, i shouldnt have to pay for a game I never purchased for a console I didnt have at the time.

He then went on to say that he believes I want this account unbanned so that I can download the game that was purchased.
    To me this felt like he was saying that I was trying to get the game for free which is not true since I was told that the game was removed from my account, i felt like he was accusing me of trying to steal the game. I just want my account back, I was not happy with him and just ended up haning up

Personally I wouldn't have hung up the phone, I would have demanded to speak to a supervisor and sort it out to get your account back once and for all.

I did, they just refuse to get one.
    I would be holding on the line and they would not say anything then ask if there is anything else they can help with and if not I would have to go.
    When I mentioned to them about the hacks, he quickly interrupted me and went on a long spiel about how the PlayStation network has not been compromised in a long time and what happened to me was nothing to do with what happened back in 2014

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I would be holding on the line and they would not say anything then ask if there is anything else they can help with and if not I would have to go.
    When I mentioned to them about the hacks, he quickly interrupted me and went on a long spiel about how the PlayStation network has not been compromised in a long time and what happened to me was nothing to do with what happened back in 2014

If they "refused" to get a supervisor then I would put the complaint in writing dude, they have to acknowledge that at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tweet them, making sure to put something something before their username (eg. Hey @... whatever). Because it's more visible publicly, you're more likely to get their attention and they're more likely to do whatever they can to solve the problem. Even if they take it to private messages, tweet an update about what's going on.

Any time I've had issues with a company (broadband, car insurance etc) that's what I've done as they can fob people off over the phone, but less likely to do it on social media because it can be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Penn wrote: »
    Tweet them, making sure to put something something before their username (eg. Hey @... whatever). Because it's more visible publicly, you're more likely to get their attention and they're more likely to do whatever they can to solve the problem. Even if they take it to private messages, tweet an update about what's going on.

Any time I've had issues with a company (broadband, car insurance etc) that's what I've done as they can fob people off over the phone, but less likely to do it on social media because it can be seen.

Lots of UK/Irish people tweeting them about hacking and they refer them to support...

I've gone the Twitter route as well as the Facebook route, at one point I had emails to some of the exec's in Sony and emailed/CCed them to all my correspondence

I've gone the Twitter route as well as the Facebook route, at one point I had emails to some of the exec's in Sony and emailed/CCed them to all my correspondence

Print them all out, write a letter outlining everything and send it to Sony Ireland as registered post. They will respond, it may take a couple of weeks but it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

A friend of mine always makes complaints to the CEO of whatever company she has an issue with.

She has told me that it does sometimes work. It's figuring out the email address.

The CEO of Sony is Kazuo Hirai. Do up an email to him and send it to
    kazuo.hirai@sony.com
    k.hirai@sony.com
    kazuo-hirai@sony.com
    etc...

One will be correct and will get to him. If he see's it, you can be sure the issue will be resolved within the hour.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I had this before several months ago where €150 was bought for my wallet
    I noticed it quickly and got my account back but they wouldn't refund the money so I bought PS+ and a few games so no biggie but what would have happened next if I didn't spot the hack?

just keep at them, ring them every day , post on their facebook etc

your situation is the exact same as mines was . it took me 1-2 weeks to get refunded & my account back

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I returned a pretty angry email to them, and also made a call to the CS Helpline again.

The operator told me all should be sorted in a couple of days. They could see that, although there was suspicious activity on the account, that I wasn't responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I returned a pretty angry email to them, and also made a call to the CS Helpline again.

The operator told me all should be sorted in a couple of days. They could see that, although there was suspicious activity on the account, that I wasn't responsible.
    Please pop back to let us know how you are getting on. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Please pop back to let us know how you are getting on. Best of luck.

Thank you, will do

Advertisement