Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony have banned my PSN account

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gimli2112 wrote: »

So its now confirmed that Sony's systems have not been compromised and its from outside sources. Time for people to to ensure they put 2fa on their accounts where possible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭Penn

jonnycivic wrote: »
    So its now confirmed that Sony's systems have not been compromised and its from outside sources. Time for people to to ensure they put 2fa on their accounts where possible now.

Aye. I enabled 2fa, changed my email address (but with email forwarding for emails from PSN so I don't miss any emails on my main email address) and came up with a new unique password I don't use anywhere else.

Pretty sure I've never used my card or paypal with my account anyway so not worried about money being taken, but would hate the hassle of account ban/suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sorry to come across as stupid - whats 2fa?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

2 factor authentication
    it's where you usually install an app on your phone and they then ask you a code that is randomly generated to be out into the website to allow you to continue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gerrybbadd wrote: »

2 factor authentication, basically when you login to your account on any device it will send you a text with a security code so unless the hacker has your phone they cant get into your account :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

2 factor authentication, basically when you login to your account on any device it will send you a text with a security code so unless the hacker has your phone they cant get into your account :)

Brilliant. Thanks.

gerrybbadd wrote: »

It adds additional security.

Account Management> Account Information> Security> 2-Step Verification

After you set it up on your PS device you will get a text with a code to enable you to login. You won't get asked for the code again but if you or someone tries to access your PSN account from another device you'll get another text with a code before you are able to login.

dammit Jonny's a faster typer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

According to Sony.

The article is talking about the last 48 hours guys not the last few weeks. The article doesn't mention the hundreds of accounts that were fraudulently charged over the last few weeks. It just makes reference to the ones that Sony deactivated as a precaution.

It wasn't verified by any outside source. Just some professor giving his opinion.
    A growing number of PlayStation gamers have complained of being locked out of their online accounts.
    In the past 48 hours, more than 100 PSN members have contacted Sony via one of its UK Twitter accounts - just one of several ways to reach the firm.

IMO, there is a breach and Sony is trying to limit it by forcing accounts to re-activate. Its the smartest thing they could do in this scenario. If there wasn't a breach they would have told BBC the source of the data by now but they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

is it just me or are the walls falling around sony? problems with the security, a new system failing to perform (so far) and seems they are banning for way too many reasons. I seen an article where a guy screenshot a girl with crotchless knickers in watchdogs 2 and posted it to twitter and sony found his account details and banned him for showing nudity.. but that's nudity in a game that he bought on their systems

ABSOLUTELY BAD FORM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭Penn

is it just me or are the walls falling around sony? problems with the security,

Cause of which hasn't been identified and may not be a fault on Sony's end.
    a new system failing to perform (so far)

Again, 3 games not properly optimised within 5 days of console release but likely to be fixed in patches does not equal failing system
    I seen an article where a guy screenshot a girl with crotchless knickers in watchdogs 2 and posted it to twitter and sony found his account details and banned him for showing nudity.. but that's nudity in a game that he bought on their systems

It was because he shared it to Twitter via the PS Share function, which due to the nudity is a breach of rules. They didn't "find his details". He did it through his PS account, meaning it would also show up on his friends' (including possibly underage family/friends') What's New.
    ABSOLUTELY BAD FORM

ABSOLUTELY OVER-REACTING

is it just me or are the walls falling around sony? problems with the security, a new system failing to perform (so far) and seems they are banning for way too many reasons. I seen an article where a guy screenshot a girl with crotchless knickers in watchdogs 2 and posted it to twitter and sony found his account details and banned him for showing nudity.. but that's nudity in a game that he bought on their systems

ABSOLUTELY BAD FORM

Wow, thats OTT reaction.

ABSOLUTELY BAD FORM

Since then UBI have come out and apologised for the nudity in the game and are going to patch it out.

There are no walls falling around Sony, Sony themselves have come out in an interview and stated that their systems have not been compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Wow, thats OTT reaction.

Don't make me post a screenshot 😉

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: DARK-KNIGHT has been banned for a week for his constant trolling in the forum in recent days and weeks.

Please everybody else keep it civil. If any post is clearly trolling - whether that's pro or anti-Sony - please flag and we'll take a look at it :)

There are no walls falling around Sony,
    I agree with that.
    Sony themselves have come out in an interview and stated that their systems have not been compromised.
    I don't agree with that.

Sony is not going to come out and say there is an issue at this crucial point of time for them. Christmas, PSVR and PS4 Pro release.

I believe there was a breach but they have managed to contain it. Sony is not a reliable source in this matter. It should definitely be investigated by an independent source.

At least people now are enabling 2 step verification. It obvious now that Sony didn't do a good job in getting the word out to users about the 2 SV which they introduced in late August.

I agree with that.

I don't agree with that.

Sony is not going to come out and say there is an issue at this crucial point of time for them. Christmas, PSVR and PS4 Pro release.

I believe there was a breach but they have managed to contain it. Sony is not a reliable source in this matter. It should definitely be investigated by an independent source.

At least people now are enabling 2 step verification. It obvious now that Sony didn't do a good job in getting the word out to users about the 2 SV which they introduced in late August.

The same article has an external cyber security expert also pointing the finger at an outside source away from Sony?

I only found out about it a couple of weeks ago from here and tbh only activated it as I didn't want the hassle of trying to reactivate my account. Sony accounts are certainly being targeted for whatever reason (had heard it was something to do with FIFA points) and I'm glad it's enabled now.

The same article has an external cyber security expert also pointing the finger at an outside source away from Sony?
    His opinion has weight although all he is saying is the data has not leaked on the deep web.

He hasn't audited Sony or even talked to Sony at all. He was asked questions by the BBC.

There should definitely be an independent investigation conducted by the UK data commissioners office to assess the situation.

Advertisement